1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Rubber Soul is a classic album from the Liverpudlian Beatles!

As for Rubber Soles, lm sure SF's finest will set the record straight.

Hey Oli if my "thread" memory serves me correct do you live down Newcastle way? If so have you checked out Murrays Brewery @ Port Stephens?

Cheers

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Don't think this was me but FWIW, I was wearing my fantastic medium blue 3 roll 2 button suit with a pocket square [​IMG] on Collins St near Lennier's office.
    Chukkas will be available in late December - they're leaving in a week or so. The shine just takes a lot of time, a little polish and a little water - there. It took a lot more work on the RMs than on any of my other shoes but I did it more for the challenge than anything else.

Quote:
    Thanks. I got it two years ago. It's a reissue of on of their bike jacket designs from the Drizabone archives. Surprisingly warm but the belt stops the jacket from looking shapeless. I really like it!

I'm seriously considering getting one of the Alpha M65 jackets for the time being until I can get that Aspesi. I actually got a cheapo Harrington off ebay and it's still going strong after a year so I don't think it's too much of a punt.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

One of my Great Grandfathers. Maybe its in the blood.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Mercury and Weekly Courier (Vic. : 1878 - 1903) Thursday 15 March 1894

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I have Craftsman in dynaflex and rubber. I wear them everywhere so I went with rubber soles for their hardiness.

I live out at Morpeth so I can't say I have sorry mate :(

6. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

No worries brother, l'm looking at making a trip down south to investigate, they make incredible beer in the vain of Mountain Goat, Creatures etc.

As for the RM's, l've been eying off a pair for a while. A timeless, classic, quality boot!

7. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Was conversing with my alterations tailor this morning on the topic of 'not being able to get good help these days' - in his case 'help' being a steady supply of elderly Italian tailors. He is quite worried he is going to run out of them.

His business is decidedly two tier. He does the jeans, shirts and trousers and ladies wear with a coupl eof seamstresses, but for quality tailored suits he has a Sardinian guy who comes in a few days a week. So, if you want your sleaves shortened from the shoulder rather than the cuff, the Sardinian will do it. Trouble is, the Sardinian doesn't want to work as many hours, leaving a gap. My tailor has found someone else, but he is in his seventies and also doesn't want a lot of work.

"What will happen in five years time?", he asks.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes, indeed. Unfortunately, quality tailoring is something that takes quite a while to learn and to perfect, but which generally doesn't guarantee much of an income nowadays. I suspect that a younger person with the marketing flair and style of Patrick Johnson could probably start a successful, profitable, Australian tailoring business from scratch but nowadays "full service tailors" are increasingly few and far between.

Anyway, here are some photos of today's outfit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details:
    - Navy cotton, herringbone weave jacket with waist patch pockets by Herringbone;
    - Blue and white university stripe shirt by Land's End;
    - RL Polo paisley bow tie;
    - Madder silk neat print pocket square;
    - Old HK MTO trousers in small-scale houndstooth check with overcheck; and
    - Santoni captoe balmorals.

9. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Umm I wouldn't say it's exclusively just Telstra. It's pretty much 90% of the business folk in Australia.

10. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

fuck I'm sick of hearing about this pretentious twat called Patrick Johnson.

11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Why?

Sick of summer - I want autumn, winter and spring back.

12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Buy some of his new 'boardshorts'. If you 'lift', they'll look great on Bondi beach.

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

Love the bergamot body wash.. Not such a fan of the shaving products or moisturiser

+1

not comparable operating margins as David Jones owns its cbd buildings and therefore does not pay rent on these. Also the only reason we are having such discussions about online is due to the currency. Before the dollar rose above 80cents there wasn't that many opportunities for good deals

14. sliq

sliq Senior member

i have a confession.

i have just started reading this woman's fashion blog.

http://www.hapatime.com/

i think i'm in love.

15. strumpey

strumpey Active Member

Kelly Country couture!

I told a colleague about tomorrow's MJ Bale sale and the usual 2 suits for a grand deal. He said he goes for quantity not quality. After about 3 hours of "quality suits are required for interviews" brainwashing I think I'm slowly changing his thinking a little bit. It can only help (I hope).

16. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

You should become a sponsor [​IMG]

17. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Day-ummm.

I subscribe to the 'how you'd like a woman to dress' SF tumblr.

18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

He's probably the most savvy designer in Australia. My only issue with him is focus is a little dandy for CBD (eg half of his ties are cashmere). I'm just a pleb though.

19. meister

meister Senior member

You know the answer: "Finita la musica!"

One of the great things that Italy gave Australia - which probably is on the way out even in the Old Country = a generation of guys trained to make the plumage for the peacocks of the passegiata.

Then they came here for the better life.

But then age catches up and they want to relax in their old age when the eyes don't have it and the thought of la dolce vita di far' niente is more appealing.

Everything changes and everything does not remain the same it seems.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  20. Romp

Romp Senior member

i wear cashmere ties all through winter they are fine in CBD. They are more formal than the knit ties for example although i wear knits all year around too yet that isnt the point.

The thing is his primary business is SUITS and a MTM is entirely up to the customer on what "look" they are trying to achieve. Ive often picked a fabric or option on my suit that patrick has told me NOT to get because it wouldnt work in a business environment. This is his greatest advantage - he offers GOOD advice on fit and aesthetic. Most of the time I go in there its CBD guys getting CBD suits and the occassional person getting something a little more casual.

Understandably he is not CBD (his showroom is in paddo) and therefore it makes sense that he dresses how he does.

"Conventional people are roused to fury by departures from convention, largely because they regard such departures as a criticism of themselves " - Bertrand Russell

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.