1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Fire drill in the Telstra building at the top of Collins St. Never seen so many people dressed in business shirts and no ties. They were fricken everywhere. Hundreds of them.

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Have just about finished my current tube of Clinique Face Scrub and was looking at the Triumph and Disaster or the Anthony Logistics as a replacement.

Anybody use them and care to comment?

3. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Am liking that Drizabone GN. Is it newish? Will have to source one of them for next winter. Nice touch

4. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Second Rule of Style Forum!

[​IMG]

5. Windowpane1967

Am a recent convert to Aesop products. I dont use much in the way of 'product', however having picked a few pieces of this up recently from their new shop in Collins Street (near to Harrolds) have been pretty impressed.

http://www.aesop.com/au/?show_banner=1

6. zachary12

zachary12 Member

Can recommend malin + goetz as well. I've used most of the MensBiz offerings in the way of scrubs and M+G outdoes the lot (even the Urth scrub) IMO.

7. Geoffrey Firmin

The wife is a big fan but me not sold on their mens products.

8. Windowpane1967

Meermin Whole Cuts arrived this week from fellow SF colleague. Have worn Church's for as long as I care to remember, have to say these a pretty good and true to size. I know several of you here have had some problems with sizing, however, they are good and comparable to my current collection. This is my first pair of Meermins so am glad to have confirmation of size, now to narrow down the next pair on order. Anyone else acquired Meermins recently care to comment on their acquisitions?

[​IMG]

9. Windowpane1967

Funny GF, opposite in our house, the other half still on Clinque, which I found to be a bit ordinary for their mens gear.

10. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Pics would be great if you have the time.

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Imagine if there was a real fire, all those polyester ties and rubber soles would create a big stink. The Telstra workforce appears to dress kind of like a Year 10 formal.

12. Windowpane1967

True, would like to have. Today the first day I didnt wear them, rain was predicted so they stayed at home!!! Will see how tomorrow shapes up.

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

God I hate squat day.

brb that feel of wanting to vomit when you have 170kg+ on your back
    brb leaving the gym with only a leg pump
    brb almost as bad as hill sprints...

14. The Ernesto

The scariest thing was how with no ties everyone looked the same. There were only slight differences in the shade of the shirts from blue to white to light pink. Thought they were going to start chanting 'one of us, one of us'.

Felt fearful for my Henri Carteur tie.

15. Geoffrey Firmin

As for Clinique i can still remember the catch phrase in the ad back in 1983. "in sixty seconds this man will change the way he shaves for ever" he did and the ad was in a girlfriends Cosmo.

Still using their shave creme and gel after all these years, mind you Christopher Hanlon in Sydney makes a good shave creme.

16. The Ernesto

Interesting story on online retail here...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...at-50-less-spurs-virtual-sale-down-under.html

A few snippets...

DHL Express operates two dedicated Boeing 777 freight flights a week from Cincinnati to Sydney to ship parcels for FiftyOne’s partner stores, DeSimone said.

“You have retailers that have been fat for decades because they have this market that they completely controlled,” said Will Gensburg, chief executive officer of i-Parcel LLC, a delivery company based in Burlington, Massachusetts, that ships packages overseas for clients such as Amazon.com and Toys R Us Inc. “Now all that’s changed.”

The isolation has long helped Australian retailers and their suppliers churn out fatter profits. David Jones’s operating margin over the past two decades has averaged 5.6 percent, versus 3.1 percent for the comparably upscale Saks Inc. (SKS) over the same period, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

And here am I feeling virtuous because I can now shoulder press 2 kg!

18. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Really no different to most of the public service..in the winter time its just substituted for poorly fitted suits. Once you step outside of the immediate CBD in Brisbane most of wear up here - short of winter - is shirt and no tie. I agree can look a bit homogenous (makes you wonder if theres a group email some days when you go out to lunch and everyone rocking shades of blue etc that day) but you can still differentiate yourself via shoes, belt and of course properly fitted clothes, cologne...I imagine theres debate/derision about that last one but I would contend its an important aspect of a look/presentation although a tricky one to adequately master.

19. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

What does 'brb' mean in this context?

20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Shoulder injury?

Also guys what's wrong with rubber soles? :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.