1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Someone else told me that he'll be heading to http://pjohnson.com.au/

So it's no longer SuitShop? [​IMG]

2. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

So it's no longer SuitShop? [​IMG]

Dunno.

3. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

Thanks for clearing that up PG. The current discussion just shows what a great impression Ethan left on customers, myself included.

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Dunno.

At least the website is a little more informative under its new guise. Now we know the product is made in Holland rather than the previously described "Europe." I still say the prices are too high for what is essentially offshore MTM.

5. streetminimal

At least the website is a little more informative under its new guise. Now we know the product is made in Holland rather than the previously described "Europe." I still say the prices are too high for what is essentially offshore MTM.

http://www.suit-shop.com/ - lol

Is it MTM or Bespoke?

$1300 for S120 is hmmmm....and it's not 'fully hand made', so does that mean it's partially machined?

6. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I actually have made some enquiries with P Johnson and was indending to make an order in the next month or so, pending whether or no we decide to go to HK for a holiday. I spoke to the Melbourne tailor, Tom, who said that the price of the average 2 piece suit is $1,350 and three piece $1,600. The starting price of three piece with an extra pair of trousers is $1,750.

7. streetminimal

I actually have made some enquiries with P Johnson and was indending to make an order in the next month or so, pending whether or no we decide to go to HK for a holiday. I spoke to the Melbourne tailor, Tom, who said that the price of the average 2 piece suit is $1,350 and three piece $1,600. The starting price of three piece with an extra pair of trousers is $1,750.

Interesting. Do you think you'd get a better deal over in HK?

I wonder how much they would charge for any alterations after the fitting, or is it inclusive?

8. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Interesting. Do you think you'd get a better deal over in HK?

Probably not that much of a better deal $ wise, but you probably would option wise. P Johnson is more MTM then Bespoke, so you can only customise it to a certain point. Eg they can't make double breasted waist coats or pants with fishtail backs.

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Around $1,500 seems like a very decent price for a MTM suit, especially if it includes full canvas lining. Especially considering most Australian designer RTW suits are there or thereabouts in terms of price.

10. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Around $1,500 seems like a very decent price for a MTM suit, especially if it includes full canvas lining. Especially considering most Australian designer RTW suits are there or thereabouts in terms of price.

I agree.

11. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I agree. That said, I think a full canvas is extra ($100 or $250 - something like that).

12. Prince of Paisley

Still good value on that basis.

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Based on those prices I'd be willing to give p johnson a go.

Popped in to Beggar Man Thief today. Nice shop, nice shoes, nice staff. Hope they do well.

14. JTA

JTA Senior member

In my view $1,500 is a good price for a full canvas MTM suit in Australia.

Understand that it may be cheaper in HK but the air ticket price has to be factored also (about $1,000 for a return ticket), except if you are a regular visitor or the tailor already has your measurement.

15. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Understand that it may be cheaper in HK but the air ticket price has to be factored also (about $1,000 for a return ticket), except if you are a regular visitor or the tailor already has your measurement.

Yep, if I do pull the trigger I am planning to spend about $2k for a three piece with two pairs of trousers and go for the hand made option. I would expect that two pairs of trousers plus a waistcoat shoud make it versitile enough to last many years.

That said, if I am going to be in HK for a holiday anyway like the Mrs is nagging me, I would probably get somthing simmilar over there.

16. Prince of Paisley

I'm in a similar situation - will probably get one made up this year by my tailor in Aus and then again if I head to HK in Q4 2011...

the best of both worlds!

17. jessis

jessis Senior member

Yep, if I do pull the trigger I am planning to spend about $2k for a three piece with two pairs of trousers and go for the hand made option. I would expect that two pairs of trousers plus a waistcoat shoud make it versitile enough to last many years.

That said, if I am going to be in HK for a holiday anyway like the Mrs is nagging me, I would probably get somthing simmilar over there.

With the current exchange rate - you can definitely do better over in HK. No doubt about it.

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Around $1,500 seems like a very decent price for a MTM suit, especially if it includes full canvas lining.

There are better priced offshore MTM options out there. You could probably find some Made in Australia MTM for that price, I'd say.

Especially considering most Australian designer RTW suits are there or thereabouts in terms of price.

True, but like everything else here in Australia (eg. brand fashion, shoes etc.), they're vastly overpriced. As is PJohnson IMO.

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Wraith, mate, I think we get the point that you are not a fan of Patrick's. Seems like everytime they are brought up you chime in repeatedly with the "offshore mtm" term.

Apropos has bought up in the P Johnson thread that it doesn't really matter the process that occurs but more the end result, so I would put it to you that some of the P.Johnson "offshore mtm" I have seen fits much better and is more up to date (plus he seems to have many happy clients) compared to your Zink and Sons Australian bespoke which is in comparasim a more boxy outdated cut which could have a much improved fit for a bespoke garment. My opinion of course, though it's not entirely un-informed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of things being made locally where possible and spent 5 years at FJ's doing their mtm when it still was Australian made, but the term "offshore mtm" the way you use it implies that Australian mtm is better, which in this current local climate of very little tailors, cutters and the like that are around Australia is wrong I'm afraid.

20. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

- Is Holland not in Europe?
    - you realise when a label says Made in Italy actually means only a percentage is made in Italy
    - EthanDesu & I spent quite some time with P Johnson over the last few months. So I have had actual first hand experience with the business & have ordered a suit. Should be here next month
    - you say too high? So what should it be priced? FFS Calibre/AG etc sell suits for about $1000 on average..
    - a MTM suit from Canali or E. Zegna will be start at about A$2500 & you won't get service from a tailor but a SA following a guide book, hence E. Zegna has a history of botched MTM

- yes

- again this idea that you all have that you will get the dream suit when in HKG. It's not going to happen unless you are willing to wait & expect the first few to be off
    - as most of you know, I live between SYD & HKG so first hand experience I have had

- I wonder at times why some of you go on on about the price without actually inspecting goods - especially in this case & the amount of diatribe I hear when it was uncovered that Herringbone moved their suit production from Japan to China.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.