Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Blundstones not polished of course, OTC socks, Bombay bloomers, King Gee work shirt and British colonial pith helmet.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

2. swedeli

swedeli Member

Hi.

I am a 22 years old student from Norway. I am going to Sydney 12. sept to 5. dec and is interested in purchasing one or two suits. Due to the short period of time we are living there and the limited price range I wondered if you would recommend me trying to find a semi-bespoke suit or just try to find a good suit from an acceptable brand. Also, will there happen to be any large sales during the time which I spend there?

I am travelling with many more students from Norway, but unlike them I am not planning to buy a terrible fused suit from a "tailor" that our travel company recommends. If any of you have good experiences with tailors you have used, which maybe could have the chance to make a suit or two in this time frame (almost 3 months), I am really thankful for your recommendations.

Pardon my limited grammar and thank you for your help.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

3. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

What's your budget? You certainly won't find Australia to be a cheap place to have a suit made. Even MTM is expensive.

4. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

Quite curious why you want to purchase a suit from Australia? Especially since our climates are very different.
    But what is your budget?

5. swedeli

swedeli Member

I only remembered now that I forgot to post my budget. I would probably not go over 700 australian dollars for one suit (without shirts, ties etc.). Preferably the price will maybe be even lower, so that I can purchase perhaps two suits, and some accessories.

I am looking for a light to medium weight wool suit. The alternatives from my city in Norway are really limited, therefore I wanted to investigate the opportunities in Sydney.

Edit: Also, I meant MTM

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Your grammar is better than most of ours :)

7. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

While we are talking about MTM looks like we just secured another shirt supplier today that will do MTM casual and dress shirting for us. Really exciting and hopefully have it all up and running in a couple months. Price point wont be dissimilar to our existing RTW range. Will reveal details as we obtain them ourselves:)

8. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

\

Not from Syd, but I think with those budgetary constraints you won't be able to do MTM in Aus... Online MTM perhaps, but not in person.

You'd be better to get something that fits you in the shoulders and have it tailored... In Melbourne I'd head to Azzaro... Sydney... maybe MJ Bale? Someone mentioned a 2 for $1000 deal on their suits here recently. Honestly though, Australia is not the best place to buy a suit!

*edit If you're lucky, and especially if you're an uncommon size, you could try your luck at the Herringbone warehouse in Surrey Hills.

9. Kee Sang Hong

Kee Sang Hong New Member

Hi, a newbie here hoping for advice.
    I recently moved to the Gold Coast, and have some used sports jackets(hand-me-downs from a cousin) that I've been meaning to get altered.
    My cousin and I being of similar build, they fit reasonably well, but would like to get them taken to a tailor or an alteration place to tweak the fit and shorten the sleeves.
    Any place you can recommend?
    I would be willing to try places in Brisbane if there's no place the more experienced forum members can recommend on the Gold Coast.
    Thanks for any and all advice.

10. swedeli

swedeli Member

Thank you, this is why i mentioned buying a suit that fits fairly well and get it adjusted, and it seems that may very well be the best option for me. Therefore, I also wondered when major sales will happen, as it will probably be opposite from here in Norway, where summer is just over.
    I will certainly pay Herringbone outlet a visit.

11. eightace

eightace Senior member

12. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

NRL is done, I'm entrenched in College ball and NFL until NRL 13

Anyone getting into it? An Aussie called Jesse Williams just made all America. He's an Alabama player who may be voted strongest college player benching 600lb and squatting 700lb

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Paging California Dreamer ...

14. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

J. Crew is trolling us Australians hard. They have a suit on sale for $395USD, however when you switch the currency to AUD it becomes $588.

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^ pricks....

In other news happy fathers day to all the dads out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.