Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hey Rob,

I've never asked (I don't think anyone else has), but who is your mate that is the other half of Owen & James? Does he just play a more background role?

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Hmm.. Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - bet Owen & James are the same guy..

3. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Ah good question and no split personalities fortunately. Owen and James is a combination of myself and my business partner's middle names.

"James" has a great eye for menswear, travels the world e.g. Pitti Uomo and meets with suppliers etc. He is shy, not so great with computers and prefers to do what he does;)

He is the guy modelling the trousers in the Owen and James affiliate thread as he gets the samples to his sizing to wear for a while to ensure that a) its something that looks good and b) its something that we can say the quality stands up after a season of wear.

So by the time we get new product in stock we have personally been wearing/abusing/going google eyes over our samples for a good 6 mths:)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Nice idea but at present its a whisky colour and the shoes I would wear it with are dark brown and mahogany, hence the need to darken the colour of it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

What are you trying to darken the colour of? Is this your Filson bag we're talking about?

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

7. fox81

fox81 Senior member

8. eightace

eightace Senior member

I don't know how much experience you guys have had with using Saphir Renomat, but I bought some recently and gave a couple of pairs of shoes several doses of it over a couple of days. It does an amazing job of stripping away all the old polish from the leather (and it wouldn't entirely surprise me if it stripped away your fingerprints - I used rubber gloves while applying it).

I then used Renovateur and left it on overnight, brushed it off this afternoon and my shoes look like new! I mean they literally look like they did when I first took them out of the box! Amazing!

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I wonder if the author reads SF - he certainly mentions a lot of the usual suspects, e.g. Kent Wang and this:

Quote:

10. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Sorry I feel v.rude quoting this post but got no answer and thinking of stopping by at American Tailors this weekend; and the question is still as above.
    Thanks Again

11. fox81

fox81 Senior member

dont know about the isaia shirts, but the shoes are competitvely priced. i bought c&j handgrades on sale for 400 dollars. i think full price is 600 for bench grade and 700 for handgrade.

if youre going to spend isaia money on shirts, you might be inclined to consider your mtm shirt options.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

tbh, who wants that. actually, i dunno, which kind of shoes you're talking about, though.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Not cheap but not Harrolds prices either.

Just be polite - ask if its ok to have a squiz, don't put your mitts over everything, respect if they have other customers or are other wise busy, don't write down details of shoes to buy later online, don't try on stuff and don't pretend you are there to buy unless you are. Simple really.
    Nice people, great service.

14. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Hi friends,

Headed over to London, Amsterdam and Paris in December, and looking to visit SuitSupply for suits. Anywho, I've bought from Austin Reed before, in person, when I was there last, and I was a 36S in their contemporary cut or a 36S in their traditional, and then send to a tailor (difference is level of waist suppression). I got an email from Austin Reed and they have the following on sale, including free postage to australia:

http://www.austinreed.co.uk/fcp/pro...uits/Charcoal-Prince-of-Wales-Check-Suit/8284

Should I wait until I'm in Europe or should I get this? I was chasing something like this anyway. I think it's pretty nice for the price. It'd be fused most likely.

Thoughts? I don't have the budget for PJohnson (student here) and will be starting full time employment next year, but the as a field, the employers are notoriously poorly dressed.

A solid white shirt or very pale blue with a blue tie, or even a burnt orange tie would sit nicely, I thought? But I'm happy to defer to more sartorially-inclined minds.

15. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

It has pleated pants, so I wouldn't buy it.

If you need wait suppression on a 36s, how tall are you and how much do you way? Just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.