Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Sorry to get all lawerly here, but afaik the evidence to be brought wasn't hearsay (hearsay being evidence from one person about things of which they had no direct experience); my understanding is that at least some of the witnesses would have said words to the effect of 'I saw him do it'. That ain't hearsay.

edit: what lachyzee said.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Correct ie type of evidence (1) in my post earlier.

4. Sceps

Sceps Well-Known Member

Oli, it comes down to your time and budget for shopping in Sydney. I go to see a chap by the name of Charles Nakhle for my shirts in Paramatta, it usually takes a couple of weeks to knock one up. They are excellent quality and beautful light fabrics, but be prepared to pay upwards of 200 a piece. I have had P.Johnson tailors in paddington make me 2 suits so far and they have both been excellent, they make a realy good slim fitting suit.They can more then accomodate the needs of gym rats like yourself. I normally get ties online these days, I'm a big fan of henry carter neckware . The navy and cream tie is the ultimate CBD tie.

5. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

lachyzee, there are still some very dodgy riders not pinged there as well.

tobiasj, I was just about to post that.

On LA good riddance.

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Another thing that I have read is that out of LA's 7 wins, of the top 5 riders in all of those years, only two(!) have not been implicated in doping in some way. It really breaks your heart.

Firstly, assuming for the moment that LA was guilty, there is therefore pretty much no point trying to award the title to any of those who finished below him (the guardian wrote a good article on this).

And, secondly, assuming that all of the top riders who doped (ie everybody) received the same ~5% or so increase in performance that they say EPO gives you, LA was still the best out of all them 7 times. No small feat.

7. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

May not be heresay but isn't it circumstantial? (forgot literally all of my first year law subjects except Contracts)

8. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

In my post, (1) is direct while (2) & (3) are circumstantial. Contrary to common belief, there is nothing wrong with circumstantial evidence though. A lot of criminal prosecutions rely for the most part or entirely on circumstantial evidence (and must since wrongdoers often go to some length to conceal their wrongdoing).

9. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hello again :)
    This time I'm looking for shoes (I'll put back the suit for while); a dress shoe that is cheap yet not wholly bad. Heard good things about 'Markowski-Chauseeur', 'Septieme Lageur','Meermin' and 'Loake' for people in my price range.
    Any experience with any of these guys? (looking at Markowsi and Septieme and they are both run by the same company) but a lot seem to love Meermin.

Now as to the style of shoe I'd like either a brogue or this type in a darker brown
    http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/gedeon---forme-199-en-box-marron-crust--p13525-fr.html (sorry I'm a noob and have no idea what they're called)

Looking for it to be long lasting and good quality; I'd like to wear them with jeans, chinos and what have you (casual).

And the size is 6UK/AU or 7US!!!!!! My feet are darn tiny.

Thanks Again

P.S. with a shoetree also....Oh and I'd prefer a boot to both the styles above (just really hard to find in my size).

10. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

11. joiji

joiji Senior member

If you've got small feet, it might be worth trying to get some American shoes, rather than European. American sizing is ~1 larger than UK, so you'd probably find getting 7's easier then finding 6's in European. That said, Meermin, might be your best bet if you can't find any normal sizing runs which produce size 6. I suspect they would either be willing to produce something, or already produce, in your size.

12. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Cheers! I had no need for any customer service this time (straight up order) having ordered from them previously, but I must say the customer service was exceptional the first time I ordered from them! They do know how to go the extra mile!

13. sliq

sliq Senior member

Think of circumstantial evidence as strands of string. Separately they'll break, but intertwined it becomes a rope. As it stands, it's not a criminal prosecution, so the balance is on probabilities which is a fairly low threshold. We also don't know if the governing body need to prove LA is guilty, or if LA needs to prove his innocence (i'm guessing the latter).

14. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

This all takes place in Brisbane.
    Having downed an overly extracted machiato, l made my way into XILE. Within a quick exchange of banter l was told "no one should wear black shoes with suits, look at Italy!" I then looked down at my highly offended black brogues. Is it Death of the black shoe? or an ill informed barb?
    After that hustle l had to down a blacker than black porter.

15. lennier

lennier Senior member

While the coffee doesn't surprise me, the remark does. Or maybe it shouldn't. Certainly in Italy you will see a lot of brown and other non-black shoes in a lot of places, and they look great. But equally in some parts you will see almost nothing but black, Milan being a case in point from recent personal experience. Personally I prefer shades of brown to black in a lot of cases, I just find it more interesting, but black shoes will always be a staple in a formal wardrobe and the 'no-one' remark was just plain ignorant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.