Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yep there is a Herringbone store in Queen St mall just near DJ's. They have some C&J's there from memory.

2. Henry Carter

^ But i'll just add it's a small, quiet store and they may see straight through you wasting their time if you are just going to hop online and buy them afterwards.

3. Naka

Naka Senior member

Most of the attendants in there are clueless about sizing and lasts though, I didn't make any headway at all while I was in there and the chap didn't mind me trying on shoes at all.
    The Cloakroom boys are pretty helpful regarding sizing on the Carmina's, but $650 for a $400 shoe is a bridge too far.

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I need to get a small package delivered from the UK (3.3 kilos, 46cm x 35cm x 16cm), anyone know the cheapest / best method of doing so?

5. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

royal mail? isnt there some postal amnesty hence why UK retailers can ship to Australia for "free" because the actual cost is so minimal

6. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Yeah - cheaper to take a haircut of $50 and sell them on the forum if not right size

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

With regard to Loake's 1880 sizing, does anyone here have experience with the 025 last? It's not as common as the 026 or Capital last, so was curious if anyone knows about it.

8. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Good Afternoon Gentleman
    I hope everyone is punching on Monday in style!
    In regards to Australian suiting how does MJ Bale stack up?
    Are AG suits canvassed?
    Cheers

9. fox81

fox81 Senior member

you can only ship 2kg as a standard parcel thru royal mail.

when i lived there, i used http://www.parcel2go.com/ to ship a lot of stuff around the world. there are a lot of courier agents like this in the uk.

google up moneysupermarket courier and you should find some good discussion on which provider is currently the best offering

10. Henry Carter

My M.J Bale wedding suit is being sent today actually, they are well made and use many of the factories that Herringbone did/do now as they are owned by one of the Herringbone founders.

I have an old AG velevet blazer which is top notch, but it's about 10 years old now and was still made in Australia. I doubt they are canvassed but not sure. They are a bit fashion forward these days for my liking so I've not checked them out for a few years.

11. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

MJ Bale has a good reputation. Good fabric and most of their suits are half canvassed IIRC. As for Arthur Galan I'm not too sure. I know their 'casual' suiting which DJ stocks is all fused.

12. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Very, very helpful. Thanks Fox.

13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I visited MJ Bale over the weekend at Bondi Junction.

They have some fully canvassed suits. Okay to good fabric but nothing fantastic, good fit, nice work on the suits.

Problem: they want $1500 for two suits, or $890 for one. Plus they are made in China mostly (with some Japan lines, did not ask about pricing).

IMO, not value for money, unless you get them at sales.

14. Henry Carter

They also have a 2 for $1000 deal on some basics which is what we bought for the wedding. What most OTR places in Australia make the mistake of doing on their more expensive OTR suits (Herringbone are bad at this) is making them out of very thin, high super count materials which in turn feel very nice, but hold a crease like crap and generally wear out quicker. The dark grey I got is a mid weight around prob 11-12 oz and seems to sit decently in the middle. I think it's called the Mudgee.

Time will tell though I guess after a bit of wear. But I've been inspecting my brothers one that's been hanging in the closet for the last few weeks and it seems very well made.

15. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Like the vast majority of Australian retail goods I would never buy them at full price, but as Charlie said 2 for $1000 isn't bad considering brands like Studio Italia and Domingo by Dom Bagnato are $500, fused, made in China and use generally 'meh' fabrics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.