Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sceps

Sceps Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the are a few fellow novacastrians popping up in this thread as of late. In my opinion Newcastle has very little to offer in satorial department. Your best to just to bite the bullet and take a quick drive down the F3 if your not comfortable with buying online. For the record I'm yet to receive any hate for my pink shirt, plenty of compliments though.

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

For me, a solid pale pink shirt is a basic. I own 2, a Mastai Ferretti and an H&K. My workplace is full of consultants and contractors from all over the world. Every Thursday is pink shirt day, and most of the guys wear one.

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Would you rate rundles?

Where are some must gos if someone wanted to do a day of suit shopping in el sydo?

4. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

I'm not whether to thank or curse you for that 20% code... but nonetheless I have just placed and order for a pair of black C&J Hallams as I think they'll make an ideal staple in the wardrobe!

Thanks pasey25.

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Congratulations! The Hallam is a great staple shoe!

6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Any Taylor of Old Bond Street fans here? Pretty good deal going on Myhabit until Tue - $25 for 2 tubs. Shipping costs $15 per order.

7. jmills

jmills Senior member

While we're talking C&J (the sale code caught my eye as well), does anyone know how the 348 last compares with Loake's capital? Seems like its E whereas Loake is F, but experience shows these things to be rather arbitrary. Would I get away with C&J in the same size as my Loakes?

8. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

Last 348 is longer and slightly more narrow than the capital last

9. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'd size down half a size. The 348 is a bit elongated compared to the capital last.

10. modafroman

modafroman Member

Hey guys,

New member here, currently in a 'shit I dress like a noob, lets try to do it better' phase atm.

Just got a few quick questions.

I've tried to go back and read what's been written but for a 1,000 page thread, that's just hard work :p

I'm after some new shoes, and a lot of you guys seem to be talking about being in melb/sydney, I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any decent places to look in Brisbane? I'd love to try on some shoes/different brands before making a purchase online.

I'm sorta after a few pairs of shoes, one to wear with suits (black offtherack selfstripe and a dark grey herringbone tailor on ten mtm), so something like the loake aldwych in dark brown or black? and one to wear with jeans/shirts for when I go out to clubs/bars etc.... maybe a grey/dark brown seude something something? Ideally the second pair would be cheaper since they're going to get trashed pretty quick, especially going clubbing etc.

Anyone got any ideas? The only issue is i've got fairly big feet (most of my shoes atm are a UK11-12), and they're pretty wide too, but never really had an issue fitting in chucks/nikes etc so yea.

Also, any style tips/guides out there for summer? In the last few days it's been warm enough to get away with wearing a tshirt..... my normal attire at uni would usually be a pretty typical engineering outfit, shorts, tshirt and a pair of thongs haha :p

Pretty much, a good source of cheap, well made plain tshirts (AsColour? AmericanApparel?) and I should probably get some type of chinos/chino shorts and some shoes to go with?

Anyways, hope this is in the right section and isn't breaking any rules, thanks for the help in advance guys :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  11. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

If you're on a budget, I would stay far away from Parker & Co.

Beautiful, quality goods... but veeeeery expensive. After all, we are talking about the likes of Zegna, Brioni, Kiton etc.

12. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

I have a 40% Myer discount voucher to any that are interested. However it is limited to Blaq suiting and shirts and you have to spend $500. The company sent it out but I'll never use it.

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Do use their aftershave never tired the shave side of life.

Also any recommendations for a Panama Hat? Brands places to buy. Looking for one for summer.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  14. eightace

eightace Senior member

I have one from http://www.barmahhats.com.au/panama.asp, it's excellent. There's a link on the website indicating retail outlets.

15. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Quote: Read up on Loake's sizes and last types. Try on Loake's at DJs, paying attention to fit and the name of the last. Once you have a last that fits, you can go shopping online eg Herring, Pediwear, Shoehealers etc.

Go to Cloakroom. Try on the Carminas. Buy them at $700 per pop, or go online and order direct.

I am not sure whether there is a Herringbone shop in Brisbane. They have C & Js.

Visit Meermin website. Measure your foot for width and length, and trace out foot outline on A4 paper and mark measurements. Send over to Jose of Meermin by email to get help on sizing and lasts. If you stuff up, Meermin will usually take it back, but remember that it costs AUD$90 to return shoes to Majorca.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.