Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

I reckon the lighter one is more versatile. Can wear the jacket as a coat and its dark enough for the office. Afterall it is linen which carries an air of casualness anyhow due to how it wears.

2. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Fuarrrk just ordered the darker one lol. Oh well. Might order a jacket in the lighter colour when I get a bit more cash.

3. sliq

sliq Senior member

just saw on P. Lal's website:

"C&J have stopped supplying us due to our keen pricing. We have no more stock in popular sizes UK8.5 to UK9.5. You can order direct from CJ. This is what we have at the moment....."

4. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Lol dont worry. You picked the one YOU liked best .. All that matters ;)

5. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

this has been the case for some time, maybe even 2-3 years now. edwards of manchester has a 20% off sale at the moment. They will order in stock not listed on their site from companies they range and honour the discount and remove the VAT. looking at the prices on plal, Edwards will be cheaper for C&J. I have used them for three pairs of shoes and the service has been exemplary. i should add, the code for the 20% sale is summer2012

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  6. jmills

jmills Senior member

Hello, can I request a bit of advice? I'm in the same boat as quite a few others here. I'm a law student nearing the end of my studies, and I want to look my best for interviews and work. There is a problem, though: I'm in Perth, so availability is a real issue. I have some nice shoes I bought online, but I'm not sure what to do about suits.

There are lots of recommendations for M.J. Bale in the past few pages, but we don't have a store. There's Herringbone suits, but they are a tad expensive. We also have David Jones and Myer, but it seems that many of their brands get rubbished on here reasonably frequently. There is also this store, http://www.parkerco.com.au/collections.php, but I know nothing about the brands they carry (and they seem quite intimidating/expensive).

I could go cheap, or I could get measured and try ordering online. I could also pay more and go for Herringbone (or one of the Parker & Co brands) and punish my bank balance - but it would be worth it for quality. Any thoughts?

7. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Active Member

To me - this really depends on whether you body fits the typical sizing in Australia. For me - I do not.

For years I've been restricted to Calibre slim fitting suits - and whilst size 36 fits me on the shoulder/chest (most cases), I will have to shorten the sleeve and hem. So I don't buy them at full price only at sale.

Recently I have been bulking up at the gym, so the size 36 doesn't even fit me anymore. Luckily these days I earn a bit more so I have been working with a tailor to perfect the fit, slowing phasing out the old suits.

My thoughts would be find a reasonable priced off the rack suits and just timed the purchase so that you get value for money. Unfortunately you will have to build a wardrobe that way and eventually move to bespoke/MTM if that's what you want.

Herringbone in any measure would be an expensive off the rank suit. I don't know much about Parker & Co but most branded suits I would argue would be of similar quality (obviously some better than others). Just my thought - so my advise again is to find the sizing that fits you and stick to it, until you raise up the ranks and can avoid the better suitings.

8. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Suit supply.

Buy online, free shipping and free returns if it doesnt fit.

9. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Thanks for the help guys, I see some of you are from the misc - not sure whether to be happy or concerned...

I'm thinking I'll get 3 x whites, 3 x blues and maybe a light red as pink is a bit on the homo site (sorry guys :( )

Definately keeping suits in cloud colours (charcoal, dark grey, navy). How do brands like New England stand up? are there any you'd recommend at DJ's?

Will check out MJ Bale, would prefer to stick to what I can find in Newcastle first though.

As for shoes I always go RMs. Not only do they look pimp but they land a nice kick should things turn dirty!

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

MJ Bale is found at a few DJ's, so you may get lucky and find some suits there but many, like Canberra only have the shirts and ties.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

I was gunna say Lighter one - no contest - its linen = summer = light breezy = more casual, carefree, = heat , bright sunlight the light blue will sparkle = light blue= no confusion with ordinary navy suit - light blue pants can be worn without jacket - light blue jacket can be worn without blue pants = it says THIS IS LINEN

OTOH - seeing its too late and you've decided I wont say anything

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

Depends a lot what you like.

DJs in Melbourne used to have a nice range of LOAKES shoes but now days they seem to have only two funny models last time I looked. DJs in Melbourne has MJ BALE - which some here like. DJs has a good range of OTR shirts in good colours. They also have a good range of casual gear from RL though. Good selection of jeans Levis, nudie and some others seemed ok. DJs also have D'urban suits - well regarded by most -if you can get them on sale.

Myers have lifted their game at least in CBD. Their market is clearly under 30 yo fashion dude , but given that, they have TM Lewin shirts and suits and ties and jumpers in store to try on - and you can compare prices and range (and price) with online. Bad shoes in myers. Country Road - is in MYers or DJs?? from time to time some of their stuff is ok - had some ok desert boots/chukkas the other day .

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Er I'd have around 10 - 12 pink or pinkish or pink striped shirts. I dont fear being seen as gay - I'm more in fear people will think I'm a private school boy and ask me to pop my collar.

Never heard of new england - keep in mind if you look a bit young - especially in the face then navy blue in particular can really make you look like a young kid in a grown ups blue suit.

Dark Charcoal has much the same effect to a lesser degree. Mid or Light grey is a better suit if you are young. More versatile and also less likely to make you look like a fresh faced office boy.

I think MJ BALE are in both DJs and MYERS - both those in Newcastle?

RMs are ok but chelsea boots do give a certain look with a suit. RMs make a shoe or two now - I thought one of their shoes looked more than acceptable for a business shoe - a little sleek for me.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

I see romp has recommended Suit Supply - I have no experience but others seem happy. The only caveat with online is that you need to get measurements right - and that means not doing them yourself but getting another eye - at least. And make sure you are measuring what others are expecting you to measure.

Theres a few Perth people around this thread - I think JohnsNOTHERE was Perth? - ask them.

I thought both DJs and MYER had MJ BALE? - MYER Has TM Lewin and they have suits and shirts - ok stuff at ok prices. Look for sales at DJs. Buy an off the rack suits that fits and get sleeves , waist and length altered just right. Wear it a few months, then get another suit on sale and get it altered knowing what you know.

Wait il you get a job before going much further. Then you'll have a better idea of what those around you are wearing - usually crap - and how to fit in - and you'll also have more $$

Don't take too much notice of those threads around on SF about what "attorneys" wear - mostly thats just what a few in big companies in Washington, NYC or such think they wear. Not even true for most lawyers in USA let alone Australia

15. jmills

jmills Senior member

Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit hesitant about buying from suit supply. Like many other people posting here, I've accumulated many hours in the weight room over the last few years. A big chest, big shoulders and a narrow waist means I'm probably going to need lots of tailoring. The measurements that they give scare me a bit. I might just have to go with TM Lewin or something for the time being, as you suggest.

I went around DJs this morning, but I couldn't see M.J. Bale suits. I think our store just has their shirts and ties.

Just to chime in regarding the boots thing, Chelsea boots do seem to have some strange ubiquity within legal circles. If you want to grab a pair of shoes for variety, as I did, without spending too much, I'd also mention Loake. The 1880 range is good, the others are mostly rubbish. There are some online stores e.g. Herring Shoes or Pediwear, where you can get the Aldwych delivered for less than $300. They throw in a shoe horn, polish and spare laces for you and the shoes only take a few days to arrive. Try on one of the pairs DJs stock for size, capital last would be most accurate, but the 026 is almost the same size and shape. Other brands like C&J are better and don't cost that much more, but there seems to be some really bad delays getting them at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.