• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not throw in some nice socks?

good thing you wear RM Williams. i see tonnes of solicitors in court wear 'em so you'll blend right in. my boss wears them too (he's had his pair for 30 years and they're still going strong).

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$450 for online MTM is not great, when you consider that MJ Bale do two suits / $1000 and have free shipping, no questions asked returns, and free return shipping. I would try that option first.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'd do the same. $450 online MTM could very well lead to $450 down the drain. If MJ Bale doesn't suit, you can always get your money back.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do MJ Bale still have surgeon's cuffs on all their jackets?

Some do, some don't. I think it may be dictated by price. The more expensive jackets do have them, whereas the 2 for $1000 suits tend not to, in my experience. Others may know more on this..

Gonzo

Reaction score
Do MJ Bale still have surgeon's cuffs on all their jackets?
Only on their (slightly) more expensive full canvas line (which is a pain ********** really - I have short arms ...)

Their 'Classics' half-canvas suits have non-working sleeve buttons.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I don't know any more than thebrownman, but I will say that surgeon's cuffs on RTW suits is a trend I just don't get.

A substantial chunk of folks are going to need some kind of sleeve adjustment - why complicate that?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://putthison.com/post/29970907669/the-simple-pleasure-of-wearing-clothes-many

"In a recent documentary, Tom Ford explained this scene from A Single Man, where his distraught protagonist George drags himself out of bed in order to get dressed. The scene wasn’t in the original book Ford based his movie on, but he put it in because it related to him. When he’s in a deep and dark depression, one of the things he enjoys doing is putting on a suit. “It might be false,” he said in the documentary, “but I feel like if I shine my shoes, put on a tie, and make myself look as good as I can possibly look, I feel better. That somehow it’s armor; it’s a ritual that I go through.”

And isn’t that what’s enjoyable about clothes? Aside from making us look better at job interviews and first dates, nice clothes are enjoyable simply in and of themselves. I enjoy putting on a pair of wool trousers, a perfectly fitting dress shirt, and my favorite sweater even if I’m planning to stay home for the day.

Apart from dampening our love for dressing, I worry that a hyper-rational, over-thought approach to dressing can needlessly confuse men. Perhaps they’ll fumble their way through their closet and ignore their own intuitions (or worse still, fail to develop one). Or they fall back into a kind of unimaginative “paint by numbers” approach to dressing. The latter seems particularly joyless to me.

So, by all means, take what you can get from books and websites about classic men’s style. I think many of them are helpful. But at the same time, learn to train your own eye for what looks good. I still think one of the best ways is by observing others. Develop a sensitivity for the nuances of how and why certain things work, and apply it to your own sense of style. Most importantly, even more than learning about whether black or brown shoes go best with fawn gabardine trousers, learn how to enjoy wearing clothes. There’s a lot of pleasure in it. "

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know any more than thebrownman, but I will say that surgeon's cuffs on RTW suits is a trend I just don't get.
A substantial chunk of folks are going to need some kind of sleeve adjustment - why complicate that?

Because some still believe that working cuffs = good suit, even if it ain't true.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few of the better quality Off the Rack jackets and suits I have bought (Boglioli, Ede & Ravencroft for example) have closed working cuffs. That is they are still sewn up and can be altered, and if the sleeve fits the buttons can be removed, buttonholes opened and buttons resewn to be working cuffs.

ZirconiumZephyr

Reaction score
$450 for online MTM is not great, when you consider that MJ Bale do two suits / $1000 and have free shipping, no questions asked returns, and free return shipping. I would try that option first.

I have to admit, the MJ Bale suit deal does look rather good. Certainly worth a try though it would be a much better idea to try in store. Don't forget to factor in tailoring costs (do they include that?)

I agree, online MTM does seem a risky business but some of the guarantees make it quite attractive. Black Lapel offers $75 tailoring credit, free remakes or free returns if you are not satisfied.

Not trying to argue ;) Just urging you not to dismiss this rather novel way of doing things straight away. Especially pertinent as the OP did state he had a non-average build.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://putthison.com/post/29970907669/the-simple-pleasure-of-wearing-clothes-many
Apart from dampening our love for dressing, I worry that a hyper-rational, over-thought approach to dressing can needlessly confuse men. Perhaps they’ll fumble their way through their closet and ignore their own intuitions (or worse still, fail to develop one). Or they fall back into a kind of unimaginative “paint by numbers” approach to dressing. The latter seems particularly joyless to me.

Charcoal (not black) or navy suit...plain blue tie... white or powder blue shirt...black captoes....

ZirconiumZephyr

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, CUREBFD code for Black Lapel will take 10% off. Sounds like I'm affiliated with them but I'm definitely not ;)

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Charcoal (not black) or navy suit...plain blue tie... white or powder blue shirt...black captoes....

Yep - pretty joyless alright. But we are talking a starting wardrobe - I would be disappointed if our young firend wore that for the next 40 years with no variation.

I think achieving a certain basic level of quality and fit within that stricture is not a bad thing when you're just starting out. Plenty of time after that for your textured ties, patch pockets, brown shoe craziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads