Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Today's Fin Review has an article on the stoush between Patrick Johnson and M J Bale.

2. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

Hey fxh, what do you know about Joe's shoes, on High Street just north or Murray Road -- your stamping ground. I took a couple of pair there for repairs today. He's likeable and businesslike enough. And "Joe's" a good start. Never trust a shoe man who isn't a Joe or a Pino. I expect Shooey has paid a visit. From what I saw very briefly of Joe's shoes the workmanship is good but the aesthetic is godawful and they are rightly thickly covered in dust. Funny how people so uncritically equate Italians with style when so much of the product is horrendously ugly. Anyway, what do you know?

3. Tano

Tano Senior member

Anyone know where i can try on (or buy) Alden or Allen Edmonds shoes locally in Perth?

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Hey fxh, what do you know about Joe's shoes, on High Street just north or Murray Road -- your stamping ground. I took a couple of pair there for repairs today. He's likeable and businesslike enough. And "Joe's" a good start. Never trust a shoe man who isn't a Joe or a Pino. I expect Shooey has paid a visit. From what I saw very briefly of Joe's shoes the workmanship is good but the aesthetic is godawful and they are rightly thickly covered in dust. Funny how people so uncritically equate Italians with style when so much of the product is horrendously ugly. Anyway, what do you know?
    Nothing - but I'll ask shooey ansd have a quick squiz next week.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Anyone know where i can try on (or buy) Alden or Allen Edmonds shoes locally in Perth?

As far as I am aware - and I could well be wrong - neither of those brands are stocked in Australia anymore.

Peter Sheppard - which has stores in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane - used to stock Allen Edmonds but they stopped doing so a couple of years back. I don't know if anyone has ever stocked Alden here in Oz.

Hopefully someone with local knowledge of Perth will chime in soon.

6. jobro

jobro Senior member

Not sold here (Perth). You wouldn't want to pay the price retailers would ask for them anyway. Ive bought a couple of pairs online and so far I haven't had a problem with sizing - I never tried one on in store.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Not sold here. You wouldn't want to pay the price retailers would ask for them anyway. Ive bought a couple of pairs online and so far I haven't had a problem with sizing - I never tried one on in store.

Also be aware that, even though they offer a variety of different lasts, Allen Edmonds don't seem to fit people with higher insteps (ie a greater vertical height to the foot) very well at all. A lot of their models seem quite "flat", in my brief experience with them.

8. Tano

Tano Senior member

Thanks guys. I will grab a few pairs of AE from ebay for work and just size 1 up from my UK size. Next year i am heading to KL so ill grab a nice fitting pair of C&J handgrades from PLAL.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Thanks guys. I will grab a few pairs of AE from ebay for work and just size 1 up from my UK size. Next year i am heading to KL so ill grab a nice fitting pair of C&J handgrades from PLAL.

Regrettably - more bad news - I don't think that P.Lal are carrying C&J anymore, either!

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Today's Fin Review has an article on the stoush between Patrick Johnson and M J Bale.

Both brands look cheap and stupid using cartoons over their models. I'm turned off ever even considering using them as a result.

11. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Both brands look cheap and stupid using cartoons over their models. I'm turned off ever even considering using them as a result.

I disagree. I haven't been closely following the stouch between the two brands but personally quite like the Patrick Johnson website, which features a clothes gallery with the said cartoon heads on the models - it looks fresh and humorous. I will probably give Patrick a go re my next suit, as a change from Herringbone.

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Good for you. Looks stupid to me, and I've never liked the Johnson website, but that's neither here nor there. To each their own.

13. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

14. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Regrettably - more bad news - I don't think that P.Lal are carrying C&J anymore, either!

Their website suggests otherwise.

I presume that based on those prices, Patrick Johnson is an MTM program. Fully canvassed?

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Their website suggests otherwise.

I presume that based on those prices, Patrick Johnson is an MTM program. Fully canvassed?

Yes, offshore MTM. No idea as to canvassing, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.