Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This could be cool. I have a friend I used to work with up in Sydney who now works in fashion PR, i'll drop her a line and put some feelers out in the next week after I've finished getting all the new gear up on the site. PM me if you know anyone too.

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Wow, GN, signing up for walks just to justify buying a new pair of shoes. Haha!

New suit commission looks good. I have an appointment with Tom next week to get another suit and a few more shirts. I thinking something grey and sensible(ish) to go with my navy and sensible(ish) one. Then I will get something a little more interesting next time. Really looking forward to it.

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Think twice (or even three times) before you buy big, heavy boots with ankle support for a long bushwalk. There is a substantial body of argument about this which says that heavy boots will tire you out, that they put unnecessary strain on your legs/joints, and that ankle support is unnecessary and doesn't allow your ankles to work (mechanically) as they should. Bizarre as it might sound, Dunlop KT26s are actually a big favourite among some very experienced bushwalkers.

FWIW I did the Overland Track in Dunlop KT26s four years ago and found them to be great (mind you, that is a very well-maintained trail, a lot of it on boardwalks). I did the 'W' trek in Patagonia a little more recently in light Merrell low-rise boots, and these are what I'd recommend for most hiking.

My advice is to do your own research, and please, not on menswear message boards :)

4. lennier

lennier Senior member

Looks great Gerry. I've contemplated a birds eye or nail head several times and one is definitely in my future somewhere! I'm a big fan of subtle pattern or texture that looks solid from a distance but has the extra interest up close.

5. sliq

sliq Senior member

He's gotta look good whilst hiking!! Haha those Dunlops get browny points for the retro look. i love it.

6. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

8. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Agree with almost all his advice and yours above other than that I would say if you're only going to own one hiking shoe, get something that is ankle height & waterproof (but breatheable). Won't save you from creek crossings but is a godsend for deepish puddles & heavy rain etc.

Oh and GN if you are going to get a leather boot, at least get one with a vibram sole! Those RMWs don't look like they have much grip at all.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

9. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Tossing up whether to get some RM Williams suede craftsmans or get one or two more casual type shoes from Meermin. Would probably go a pair of the dark brown suede monks. Wish they had a ready to wear blue suede oxford/semibrogue. Why does no-one sell blue suede? I've always loved the idea of it for a casual shoe.

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

That was me thanks, I ended up buying a jack spade mac - it actually arrived yesterday. I'm very happy with it. It need a few minor alterations but as best I can tell its essentially the same as a mackintosh Duncan but a bit slimmer, ie almost the same as Epaulet coat: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1368/Epaulet-x-Mackintosh-Dowanhill/Detail.

It's going to be perfect for spring. I still plan to buy a navy one with a wool liner though for colder days.

11. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

elvis fan?

12. sliq

sliq Senior member

Excuse my ignorance, but which uniqlo site? Just checked the UK site and it's still 90 odd pounds

13. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Never actually saw a pic of him in blue suedes, did he actually wear them?

14. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

no t'was a joke re:blue suede shoes:)

FWIW ive got dusty pale blue suede driving shoes... my fave

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

http://www.start-london.com/bangor-navy-brogues.html - Blue Suede for you. On sale too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.