Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

The British butcher in Dandenong makes haggis and black pudding. The haggis is not as spicy as I like but still good. His goods are also available in David Jones food court in the city or IGA on Acland Street in St Kilda.

Also I often have black pudding at the yellow cafe across the road from the South Melbourne Market and someone told me it is on the menu at Mr Tuck's (if that is the name of the place), the cafe at the State Library on Swanston Street.

Am always looking for new recommended stockists though.

And I agree, vegetarian haggis can be delightful.

2. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Sure of course, I bet you dont have a problem saying this in straight to your employer, especially the first sentence. Go ahead, make our day.

And sure, next time someone invades your privacy, demand intercourse with their wives, see where it gets you.

Ngong.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Look mate… its not against you. Don’t take it personally. And at the end of the day its not about anyone’s wife/spouse.
    We are hard working aussies …all we need is a bit of appreciation form our employers and don’t want to be treated like slaves(if we are not already). Asking for mail room use every now and then is not a big deal(in my opinion). World is changing. Maybe in next 10 years we will have to order every thing form the internet. Who knows… so employers need to update their policy.

4. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

World is always changing since time immemorial, but I get what you mean.

Easy solution, save enough money, quit job, start online menswear shop, or a parcel custody business, make enough money to give the bird to all employers. Howzat?

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I wish it was that easy. I, and most of us still work full time while doing our businesses. I haven't been to bed before 12.30am this week. I still have to rock up at 8.30 every morning.

Seriously though, this whole parcel delivery argument has gotten tiring (and I'm already bloody tired). Fact is, People shop more on the Internet, packages get sent through the post/freight company instead of being picked up in person. It either has to come to your work or home. Most people aren't home during the day. There at work. It's easier to get it sent to work than either go in late, or take time off for both the employee (convenience and no lost leave) and employer (staff are still at work, less lost productivity). Understand with bigger companies it could be more of a problem though.

I actually don't get anything delivered to work, but the FedEx and dhl depots are in the same suburb as I work and the postman leaves stuff around the back so ive got it pretty good.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

What i need is a coffee shop for breakfast Friday and some where cheap and cheerful for a dinner Thursday. And yes I wish I had more time to take to the hills to hit a few vineyard but alas no.

And so Adelaide is like Canberra in terms of men's wear? Virtually nothing!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

7. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

The whole delivery issue is one of the things holding back online business for physical goods. Grocery shopping in particular. The grocery order basically doesn't change each week or so, sizes and quality and prices are reasonably consistent - so they make for ideal online ordering. There are some issues of spoilage and fragility. Groceries - particularly dry or packaged goods is ripe for significant disruption. This is already happening on a small scale with direct supply vegies - as a box will stand a few hours unrefrigerated. Locked delivery boxes in neighbourhoods or in front yards will go someway. The more likely model is big chains using 24/7 servos or 7/11 type stores as pickup and payment points. There will be some first mover advantage but more likely the advantage will go to the wider networks and bigger logistics players. One of the reasons supermarkets have got into petrol/ service stations is to be geographically set up to exploit parcel/grocery pick up and delivery when it all breaks through. It not clear if Australia Post is well positioned for this development. The surprise is likely to be the opening up of a market for small neighbourhood operators who are trusted and familiar with an area and customers and have a white van and modest storage - locally.

9. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I was being facetious, more a conciliatory olive branch to end the tiring argument. I am an employer, and my business didn't arrive with the stork wrapped in ribbon.

Fxh above has expressed the issue much more cogently than me.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

They've only had 10 years to think about it.

11. joiji

joiji Senior member

12. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

13. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Loving the strong $ against the £

1x Crockett & Jones Keswick Leather Boots for £145
    1x Saphir Medaille D'Or Pate-de-Luxe Wax Polish 100ml - No.1 Black for £6.67 each
    1x Saphir Medaille D'Or Pommadier Cream Polish 75ml - Black (No.1) for £7.92 each
    1x Saphir Renovator Cream 75ml for £9.17 each

To my door for AU$300

14. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

those boots new or 2nd hand and where from?

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Well yeah but............ if you didn't see Officeworks coming, couriers, email, packaging companies..............not to mention prepaid standard size post packages, closing down local depots / shopfronts etc etc

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.