Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

So since you are using your employer's facilities, I presume you are willing to offer up your spouse too.

Seriously, dude, think before you type.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

2. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

I just ordered a pair of shoes to be received by the mail room at work.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

Does occasionally happen - sometimes places offer half unused sick leave as a cash "bonus" each year to discourage random days off.

Some advanced /enlightened conditions allow pooling of all leave, compassionate, parental, sick, recreation and allow employee to choose how to take it. However when its all gone its all gone. If you've used all your sick leave and you need 6 weeks for a broken hip or whatever then its leave without pay.

Some places require a certificate if its a day before or after a holiday, weekend , long weekend or public holiday or recreation leave.

It depends a lot on what sort of role you are in - if its a rostered service role with tasks that require presence, and you have to be replaced (thus adding extra costs and effort) or service is compromised, then unplanned leave of any type is difficult (may compromise OH&S f'rinstance) for the organisation and is discouraged. If its a role where the tasks are longer term and defined by output then whether you're at work or not doesn't matter too much - the end product - output or outcome is whats important - in research work a day or week off is not material otoh sometimes you'll work all weekend or overnight.

Depends also on how high level your work is - many places its ok to just say - "I'm not in Friday and Monday - having a weekend away" or "I'm not in Tuesday - need to get stuff done at the house" - with mobile phones and net connections physical presence isn't important in a lot of work.

Many large corporations and small are flexible others are authoritarian and the policy has little relationship to actual needs and environment.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

I learnt long ago to avoid couriers where it has to be signed for and just get stuff left on verandah.

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

8. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

Just like a few others here I've recently had Fedex and DHL delivered to my locker.

9. joiji

joiji Senior member

As far as eateries go, I very much like Dumpling King in our little China Town. I must admit I don't eat a lot in town. If you want to take a bit of a drive for dinner one day let me know and I'll recommend a couple of places :p

As far as mens wear goes: We don't have anything Melbourne or Sydney doesn't have, to the best of my knowledge. You might want to check out our op shops. There's a few reasonably large ones around the CBD, so it'd be a nice lunchtime excursion for you.

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Stuffed myself full of Irn Bru, haggis, heavy beer and black pudding on my recent trip back home. Scotland's finest (along with cashmere and whisky). Buckfast...well that is another story.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

RM Williams museum /shop - is worth an hour - and the shop there has a large range of everything RM.
    The factory /seconds shop at .??(where the Snowtown boys lived) worth half an hour if you have a car.

Opshops and second hand shops have a bit of English tweed jackets etc.

12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

No. For the use of mail room facility – I offer to turn up to work when I am not sick !
    And will offer my garage in exchange of employers spouse!(if the employer is dick enough to ask for my garage at the first place)
    I think its fair…. if a employer want to invade employee privacy then employee has the equal right to do the same.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Pinky - any butchers/delis sell good haggis or black pud w grain here?

Strangely I found the vegetarian one in Scotland very tasty.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.