• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ned kelly
This week i went to Henry Buck in Melbourne to see their range of Edward Green shoes . There were about five different styles on show.The only model i could recognise was the Beaulieu . On inquiry, i was informed that the price was $1995AUS. DOLLARS. That equals $1620 USD,1154 EURO and 984 BRITISH POUND. Any idea of prices of these shoes in other countries?

I believe that you can also order directly from Edward Green, if you so wish. They'll send you a catalogue, if you request it.

I've got two pairs, and they're wonderful shoes and the 202 last fits me very well.
However, given that EGs usually retail for around US$1000 (from LeatherSoul, as an example) and given that a pair of Crockett and Jones Handgrade usually retail for under half that amount, you'd really have to want a pair of EGs to warrant paying the extra price.

Sonny Black

Reaction score
Yup, couldn't agree more.

Trying to find a place that sells good shoes, without the price tag of which leaves you considering trading in your car is bloody hard.

As for shoe fashion, my god - Melbourne and every try hard wannabe mafia gangster seems to inflicted some absurd trend of tan, snake skin or some other hideous material pointed shoe which is in absolute stark contrast with the suit they have on. And it only gets worse with the Spring Racing carnival not far away. Out comes the hideous shoes, suits and to top it off the look, plastic wrap around Oakley sunglasses.

ricotta

Reaction score
hello guys - another Melbourne dweller here. been lurking around for a bit but didn't realize there were so many on these boards!

can anyone recommend a good bespoke tailor in Melbourne? i'm told a crew called Marino and Scott (Toorak) do a good suit. i've got a few other names (e.g. Joe Black down the street from the office), but thing is i really don't know that much about suits to know if i'm getting value for money. i'm thinking i should just pay the premium if it means getting a tailor i can trust, and use the first suit as a base for subsequent MTM suits. what do you guys think?

gsha

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
hey guys - anyone from Sydney know of any good tailors to get some alterations done on a suit that I have?

Also, I'm new to this whole thing but was at Country Road the other day and decided to do the pinch test...now to my suprise i felt that third piece. Does anyone know if COuntry Road suits are fully canvassed or not? They retail for about $600 and from what I have read on this forum it is hard to get canvassed suits for this price.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For Alterations

Hayel and Sons 4th floor Gowings building cnr Market and George St opposite Myers. entrance on Market. see Hayel (boss) or Mohammed (son) Saad.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsha
hey guys - anyone from Sydney know of any good tailors to get some alterations done on a suit that I have?

Also, I'm new to this whole thing but was at Country Road the other day and decided to do the pinch test...now to my suprise i felt that third piece. Does anyone know if COuntry Road suits are fully canvassed or not? They retail for about $600 and from what I have read on this forum it is hard to get canvassed suits for this price.

Country Road is fully fused. If you want something slightly better Quality and style I recommend Rhodes & Beckett or Boston Brothers. I believe both are half canvassed with the canvas chest piece ending about the top button on a 2 button suit. Another good buy is Peter Metchev. I ordered one through my local tailor about 2 years ago and surprised to see that the lapels were canvassed as well as the chest piece. Not sure if the quality is still the same though.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
g'day all
i am after a few pocket squares, what are some places to get some in melbourne?

Another place to get pocket squares would be at Rhodes & Beckett. I think they sell for about 30-35, pure silk made in England. Unfortunately they don't do cotton or linen squares.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rhodes & Beckett are CRAP.. STAY AWAY from them.

FUK, anything that is linked to those crooks at Harrolds are CRAP..

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido

But they say such nice things about you!
laugh.gif

What is the latest on Herringbone?

Maybe the OP can score a suit from the *** made ones at the Herringbone warehouse in Commonwealth St Surry Hills.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
But they say such nice things about you!
laugh.gif

What is the latest on Herringbone?

Maybe the OP can score a suit from the *** made ones at the Herringbone warehouse in Commonwealth St Surry Hills.

smile.gif

FWIW - there is nothing wrong with the new MIC suits

Funny how for the last few years whilst they had them, they could not sell.. & now everyone wants them?

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido

Extremely harsh thing to say. What have the crooks at Harrold's done to you?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Extremely harsh thing to say. What have the crooks at Harrold's done to you?
- nothing to me, just industry knowledge..
- I have bought a few Carusso suits on sale all good.

neyus

Reaction score
Re: Harrolds/Rhodes & Beckett and others. I think on Sale they represent okay value.

psyc1030

Reaction score
any member from melbourne could tell me if TOM FORD at harrolds has any nice stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads