• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My HB mini haul.

Plestor

Reaction score
Really don't like odd jackets of any type with ticket pockets*. Flap pockets too for that matter. 2 patch & 1 welt for blazers, enamel/brass buttons.

No blogger blue however.

*Both jackets have this problem.

Ideally something with texture too, hopsack is fine.

Re: Cotton ignoring price I can't think of a time I'd rather have (pure) cotton over some other summer fabric. Similar to brown shoes/ linen for mine re: work.

Last edited:

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brilliant, that's my size :)  The last is rounder and not as elongated as the Tetbury - I think the last suits someone whose feet are on the wide side of medium. They're also a taller boot so definitely different, more like the Northcote or Coniston than the chukkas or chelsea boots. The suede shaft will also differentiate them as well and might even make them more comfortable compared to boots where the shaft is calf leather. The dark brown of the suede also looks interesting against the darker leather.

Please post a review once you get them.

And delivered this morning. That's processed, packaged, shipped and delivered with DHL express tracking in under three days.

Review shortly.

smeggett

Reaction score
Herringbone?

Ah, thanks for the reminder. Living in rural SA tends to limit ones options, but I do head to Melbourne often enough to check them out (and, let's face it - there's precious little to brag about in Adelaide unfortunately).

Ive got a pj navy mako cotton sportcoat with white MOP buttons. Its my faithful

I do like the sound of this - Patrick reckoned my next commission should be a sportscoat... I must jst have to call him on this!

As I've mentioned a few times, I have this one:
http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1048/'Caine-Sportcoat-Navy-Hopsack/Detail
Perfect for summer (very breathable) and can double as a suit jacket.
Whatever you do, please don't get a patch pocket blazer in blogger blue. The world needs less has enough of those.

That's one decent looking coat - decisions,. decisions... Actually I just found another thread on this exact topic, so I'll pop in there and see what the UK-ites are thinking.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... ended up leaving with one of those P. Albizzati linen squares. I don't wear bleeding squares. I have no idea why I bought it. I now have 4 pocket square that I never wear.

gold. what do they look like? are they available?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since there are many experienced online buyers here, I wonder if I could ask some advice about sending returned goods to Italy.

I realised there are risks with online buying, and in hindsight I might have handled this one better, however I would still appreciate your input (and still think the benefits of buying online outweigh the negatives).

I returned a jacket to an Italian online retailer as it was too big and arranged for him to send the new in the right size (it wasmy error in selecting the size), paying for the new one on the agreement they would refund the one I sent back once it arrived (minus original shipping costs).

The new jacket was paid for, arrived promptly and fitted perfect. Happy there.

I sent the original back, mark as "Returned Goods", and emailed the retailer. I then stayed in touch over the next four weeks to find out what was happening (they have very good, fast communication, even if the English is a little broken [far better than my Italian!]). The jacket was delayed in customs, something he said was an unfortunate regular occurance in Italy. Anyway, eventually it arrived with him and he refunded me, minus customs fee (which were very high). He did attach a copy of the custom fee receipt (in Italian but the numbers are there).

My question is, why should there be any custom fees on returned goods, and if so, who should be charged them? Do I have any ground to claim these back or where the rightfully charged? And if the retailer will not repay them (presuming I am correct in think no custom fees should be charged on returned goods) is it worthwhile opening a dispute through paypal?

The seller has been quite nice and helpful (and apologetic about the custom fees, though they were never mentioned when I arranged to send the jacket back), but I am not sure I should be expected to fork out for customs fee that are not required to be paid. I did buy another jacket after all. In hindsight I might not be wise to pay for another jacket to be sent before sorting the original one (though how that would avoid this problem with custom fees I am not sure, really I should have got more detailed measurements to start with).

Still cost less online that in would have here and maybe I just put it down to experience and learn from it but just wanted to get any advice from those who might know something about it?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also visited the HB sale the other day. Nothing really caught my eye as I am saving for another P Johnson suit and some shirts, but there were a few bargains there (as mentioned by others above).

They also had waxed Belstaff Roadmaster style jackets in green and brown for $295 which looked great. Unfortunately the smallest size was Large. I tried a Medium last time when they were on sale at $600 which fitted well. Think these are a good price for any of the right size who likes these sort of things (I even considered bulking up again0.

I asked but they did not have any mediums (if anyone sees them at other stores please let me know and I will snap them up).

fox81

Reaction score

Since there are many experienced online buyers here, I wonder if I could ask some advice about sending returned goods to Italy.
I realised there are risks with online buying, and in hindsight I might have handled this one better, however I would still appreciate your input (and still think the benefits of buying online outweigh the negatives).
I returned a jacket to an Italian online retailer as it was too big and arranged for him to send the new in the right size (it wasmy error in selecting the size), paying for the new one on the agreement they would refund the one I sent back once it arrived (minus original shipping costs).
The new jacket was paid for, arrived promptly and fitted perfect. Happy there.
I sent the original back, mark as "Returned Goods", and emailed the retailer. I then stayed in touch over the next four weeks to find out what was happening (they have very good, fast communication, even if the English is a little broken [far better than my Italian!]). The jacket was delayed in customs, something he said was an unfortunate regular occurance in Italy. Anyway, eventually it arrived with him and he refunded me, minus customs fee (which were very high). He did attach a copy of the custom fee receipt (in Italian but the numbers are there).
My question is, why should there be any custom fees on returned goods, and if so, who should be charged them? Do I have any ground to claim these back or where the rightfully charged? And if the retailer will not repay them (presuming I am correct in think no custom fees should be charged on returned goods) is it worthwhile opening a dispute through paypal?
The seller has been quite nice and helpful (and apologetic about the custom fees, though they were never mentioned when I arranged to send the jacket back), but I am not sure I should be expected to fork out for customs fee that are not required to be paid. I did buy another jacket after all. In hindsight I might not be wise to pay for another jacket to be sent before sorting the original one (though how that would avoid this problem with custom fees I am not sure, really I should have got more detailed measurements to start with).
Still cost less online that in would have here and maybe I just put it down to experience and learn from it but just wanted to get any advice from those who might know something about it?

if beating customs was as easy as writing returned goods on the form, everyone would do it. yes the product was exported, but now its being imported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads