Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

2. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Actually I've got a question I wanted to ask everyone here. I've been reading quite a bit about moths being the nemesis of treasured wardrobes, but as far as I can tell most of these horror stories originate from the US of A.

I haven't been staying long enough in NSW & VIC to be able to notice, but I am curious if Australia also have a clothes eating moth issue as well?

I've found the moths in Aus much more of a problem than back home in the UK. You'll understand once you've been here through the bogong moth season (anytime now!): bastards get everywhere. I had a John Smedley sweater and a Paul Smith suit munched on before I realised.

3. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

You may resume. Purchase made.

It was a blue linen D'Urban at David Jones. Originally it was about $1100. The black model was half price (and overpriced at that -- who'd want black linen?) but the blue only about 35% off. I haggled to the satisfaction of all.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

You may resume. Purchase made. It was a blue linen D'Urban at David Jones. Originally it was about $1100. The black model was half price (and overpriced at that -- who'd want black linen?) but the blue only about 35% off. I haggled to the satisfaction of all.
    Buggy lined or full? So you've abandoned the chinos, burgundy bass weejuns and blue blazer? or was that some one else?

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Surely theres a market , at least in Melb, for a $400, unlined/buggy lined, linen or cotton suit in khaki and blue

6. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

Buggy lined or full?

So you've abandoned the chinos, burgundy bass weejuns and blue blazer?

or was that some one else?

Yes you've got me confused on the chinos etc.

The suit is fully lined, canvassed lapels, single pleat trousers. Fit is spot on and it's a good one to wear as separates. There was only one and it happened to be 50L. Seemed like destiny.

We might be able to have that parity party by morning. Little Aussie bleeder at 27-year high against $US. It's past 99c. US sales are looking good.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Barker make this as well http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/3324.php
    Many, many years ago, (think Small Faces, early Stones, The Move) I had a pair of white buck suede driving shoes, paired with red cord bell bottoms and tan suede fringed jacket. If you must go slip ons why not go tradly loafers - burgundy - I don't like the driving shoes. But then I've never owned a pair of thongs.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

We might be able to have that parity party by morning. Little Aussie bleeder at 27-year high against $US. It's past 99c. US sales are looking good.
    woohooo - as the young people on tweeter might say. Pity is I'm wishing to return to Netherlands and Ireland - I'm wanting the euro to tank big time. But its still holding up. USA I should perhaps consider a New Orleans / Louisiana music holiday. Or get more Lands End shirts

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Just a quick post to say that I received my Brooks Brothers trousers yesterday, and took them in to George the tailor here in Brisbane to be altered today.

I got a pair of quite bright, green chinos, and a pair of patch madras trousers.
    Great summer wear and given the high Aussie dollar and the 25% Friends and Family e-voucher that I was able to use, excellent value for money.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

and a pair of patch madras trousers. .
    I'm reluctant, but strangely driven, to ask for pics

11. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

You may resume. Purchase made. It was a blue linen D'Urban at David Jones. Originally it was about $1100. The black model was half price (and overpriced at that -- who'd want black linen?) but the blue only about 35% off. I haggled to the satisfaction of all.
    I tried on a D'Urban blue window-pane linen half-lined jacket at DJ's. It looked great until I tried it on...it fitted me like a sack!

12. Tarlee

Tarlee Well-Known Member

I tried on a D'Urban blue window-pane linen half-lined jacket at DJ's. It looked great until I tried it on...it fitted me like a sack!

Interesting. This is excellent fit -- quite slim cut and definitely wasted. I only have one other D'Urban piece, an op shop sportscoat not as slim cut but not sacklike. There are a couple of linen sportscoats on sale at the Melb story that have a particularly nice feel for linen and are in a subtle herringbone. Not bad quality at the price but not as good value as the suit.

13. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Baubridge & Kay Showroom Sale Up to 70% off a great range of product! Men's & Women's Shirts from $50 Selected Men's Suits 50% off Selected Silk Ties 50% off Selected Cufflinks 50% off Silk Cushions from $28 Silk upholstery fabrics from $25 Three day sale only - stock will sell quickly! www.bkay.com.au WHEN \tThu 14th October - Sat 16th October, 2010. WHERE \tFlagship Store Hogbin House 80 Clarence Street Sydney NSW, 2000. (02) 9290 2402 TIMES \tThu: 9.00am - 7.00pm Fri: 9.00am - 5.30pm Sat: 10am - 4.00pm PAYMENT \tCash, All Major Credit Cards, Eftpos.

14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

15. elvish

elvish Senior member

Hey guys - new to the site and saw this thread.

Is the BKAY sale coming to Brisbane?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.