Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah Fathers Day is coming sooner than you think. I'll run a free shipping promotion for fathers day in the 2 weeks leading up to it, once the new stock is here.

In current Meermin news my order is ready and will be shipped along with my brothers shoes tomorrow. I will of course post the obligatory photos once they arrive.

2. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Have you ever wondered how many crazy details can be packed into a single bespoke item of clothing?

On the weekend, the patron saint of cheap clothing (St Vincent) smiled down upon me and delivered the plus non ultra of sports coats. Okay, so it doesn't actually fit me (yet), but check this out..

• Bespoke by Gieves and Hawkes - so, beautiful hand-sewn button holes etc
    • Black and white houndstooth with a blue overcheck
    • Dark grey leather-weave buttons
    • Dove grey suede elbow patches
    • Bellow back
    • Bellow front pockets
    • Throat latch
    • A diguised mini pocket in front of the breast pocket (never seen this before - is it a kind of ticket pocket? Or is it to hold the arms of your glasses when the sit them in the breast pocket?)

Cool - aye?

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Sounds spectacular. Well done.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Please post pics. This sounds great!

5. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Pics - will atke some proper shots on the weekend.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

You will need green rubber / wellington boots, old cord pants, horse blanket shirt, flat tweed cap and a shot gun and partridge

7. lennier

lennier Senior member

Don't forget the pear tree.

8. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I do, but my office is very informal.

9. Robert Meredith

Robert Meredith Well-Known Member

First MTM shirt arrived yesterday from moderntailor.com, white cotton with rounded french cuffs and monogrammed initials on left cuff (is this a style faux pas?) with the following measurements:

Neck 16.5 inches
    Chest
    44.0 inches
    Waist
    35.5 inches
    Hips
    39.0 inches
    Shoulder
    20.0 inches
    Left Sleeve Length
    27.5 inches
    Right Sleeve Length
    27.5 inches
    Left Wrist
    7.5 inches
    Right Wrist
    7.5 inches
    Bicep
    14.0 inches
    Shirt Length
    31.0 inches
    Armhole
    22.0 inches
    Back
    Average
    Shoulder
    Average
    Stomach
    Slight
    Body
    Athletic
    Your Height
    73.0 inches
    Your Weight
    88.0 kg

Sleeve is probably .5 inches too long, but other than that, fit is amazing. First time I've ever owned a shirt that fit ok around the shoulders/chest/neck but wasn't ridiculously billowy around the waist. Will post fit pics when I can. Will go for button cuffs in future I think, but it's pretty standard to wear FCs amongst the legal fraternity here. Have also ordered a light blue oxford (o437a) and blue stripe (T322) button downs in the same fit.

Also the parts arrived for my full grain leather belt (guide from that thread on reddit and http://www.primermagazine.com/2012/learn/how-to-make-a-90-belt-for-only-23). Will post pics of me putting it together over the weekend.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

We discussed this a few pages back but I would say in most suit & tie professions in Australia linen (&even cotton) would raise a few eyebrows. If what you're looking for is breathability in summer, you could maybe get away with a linen blend that doesn't wrinkle quite so much... or a loose weave hopsack wool/unlined as I recommended earlier.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

For Canberrans Ken Cook has a sale on at present some stylish flannelette button down casual shirts, none in my size damn it but worth a look if your in Civic. Reasonable markdowns on a few other items.

12. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

It depends on the day // the amount of meetings for mine... Also heavier cloths are going to have less of a problem here too due to wrinkle size.

If the answer is no serious meetings then sure, remembering that you're effectively just wearing the pants 95% of the time at this point.

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Got some TM Lewin sweaters in the mail the other day... and sadly I think my quest to find a slim fit v neck sweater will have to continue.

The quality on these seems nice but the fit is just not how I would like it. A bit loose in the chest and body, and too long in the sleeves. All of these issues are fixable but a more major issue is that the V Neck is lower and looser than I'd like.

So I think they will be getting sent back tomorrow.

Any other suggestions? Kind of running out of time for something to be delivered from O/S and then get some use out of it this winter.

I was thinking J.Crew, Uniqlo via proxy, RL or perhaps just forgetting the overseas buy and grabbing a $150 from Herringbone locally. By the time I get the others shipped here they'll probably be almost $100 each anyway...

*edit*

20% off at Collins Place HB store tomorrow night, tempting... I kind of want to pick up a knit I like now so I get some use out of it this winter, what's the fit/quality like?

14. joiji

joiji Senior member

I'd try Uniqlo, or maybe grab some Country Road on sale?

In regards to pricing, I used a free proxy on SuFu and landed them here for ~40 each.

15. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

I got a bunch of Uniqlo merino jumpers to wear over shirts and they wouldn't have been more than $40. I got mine through the UK though. Luxury of having an ex-pat for a father! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.