1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomee

tomee Senior member

like a Bauce
    id be down to get stuff proxyd

2. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Ted Baker outlet store in Preston is having a clearance sale - 22nd to 25th November.

3. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Come on man, basically the only home grown quality product out there is RM Williams, so when you have an opportunity to buy them go for it. I'm not entirely sure, but given the great things people say about RM Williams construction I think they'd be close if not on par with Carmina (only for boots). I love the look of some of those Carmina chelsea boots, but I couldn't bare to admit that I'd snubbed RM Williams for something European.

(For the record, this is about as patriotic as I get)

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Is it just a menswear myth that starch destroys your shirts in the long run?

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

Well - as usual it depends.
    If the collar is starched very very stiff then it will wear a bit more against the neck and cuffs, but starch can also assist in preventing dirt from ingraining in material. Starch is water soluble so just washes out and takes dirt with it. Theres a whole bunch of new spray on starches . Theres a whole small science of starches - how to iron it get it a shiny look - how not to. How to make your own starch. I don't use it.

The truth is nowadays that your shirt will get worn out more from washing harshly and drying in dryer. Theres no need to wash in anything but cold water, minimal detergent and on super gentle wash and drip dry on hanger ideally. The old traveling standby, wash shirt by hand as you shower at night and hang on hanger over shower, dry any dampness with iron or hair dryer in morning, is possibly the best way to do your shirts anyway.

6. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Welcome back.

FXH, from now on, I will only cold wash and drip dry my shirts, jumpers, trousers and shorts. I have heard fabric softener will destroy your clothes, but people who smell my clothes say they smell great, and that is attributable to fluffy :D.

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

In general gentle cold wash and drip dry is best but drip dry isn't always practical.

Fabric softeners are NOT a good idea.

I don't go around letting people smell my clothes.

8. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

What about when one of your kids, or your wife cuddles you? The smell of your beautiful, fabric softened shirts will work wonders. That's why they call it 'cuddly'.

It also makes it much easier to iron.

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

Only thing i didnt like was the inch of "disappearing" collar under the knot-boner .. probably the angle

I like the pjohnson semi cutaway high collar personally. Did you know there are interlining options too? e.g. if I get a MTM with BD collar ill go lightest interlining for greatest roll. I generally prefer unfused collars and wear my shirts soft. I never use my collar stays unless Im at a wedding/funeral that commands respect.

Good quality fabric = easy to iron too :) Sometimes i just roll my shirts after the spin cycle and then hang them and for casual wear the soft unironed look is quite good.

Always iron shirts with tie and i never starch (sorry FXH) ... i also bare my ankles regularly [​IMG]

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Quote:It may be hard to believe but I actually don't have a pair of their chukkas so I can't say for sure :) I'm normally a G as well.

11. quar

quar Senior member

I'd disagree here. My shirts from from DJA and Acorn (Grasmere Book) are a bitch to iron.

12. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

That's what cologne is for.

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

yes i regret that comment now .. synthetics also stay well ironed hehe

OK better choice of words would be "better weaves = easier to iron"

so a twill is much easier than a poplin as an example.

14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

PG isn't who you're thinking.

15. sydneystyle

sydneystyle Member

not sure if you guys already know but Herringbone is having a pop up sale next to Tiffany's in martin place. I just went over to have a quick look - suits are $399, ties $50, pants $80ish, knits $70 from the top of my head.

Not many sizes left from what I could see (but I didn't spend too long, was waaaay too crowded) a lot off 44+ suits / jackets. A few good quality knits/cardigans in the large/medium sizes too.

16. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Think it isn't as easy as 'good fabric'.

For instance, my Sic Tess and T Mason oxfords are generally a dream to iron compared to the Alumo poplins.

OTOH, my white shirt in 2-fold 80s Alumo poplin is much easier to iron than the white shirt in 2-fold 120s Sic Tess oxford.

Then again, my two patterned Sic Tess oxfords (also 120s) are easier to iron than said 80s Alumo poplin.

Many a time, you have to trust your shirtmaker to give you an accurate lowdown on what you're buying. As Charles Nakhle often says, certain cloths 'love' the iron.

17. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Good point. I guess it is out with the fabric softener.

My mistake! Thanks for pointing that out, Dartagnan.

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

if anyone wears Extra Large (17.5collar) shirting Id be happy to do a very special price on the Owen and James remaining stock. Otherwise I might cut them up and turn them into pocket squares [​IMG]

19. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Wow. Herringbone sure is selling a lot of stuff quickly! A $400 suit? That costs $1,200-$1,300 full price. Must be their version of click frenzy? It isn't even 'sale' time yet.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  20. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Are the collection suits fully canvassed? Can't tell which are the collection suits on the MJ Bale website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.