• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plestor

Reaction score
Florsheim cedar shoe trees arrived today.  First time I've ever owned some... or possibly known anyone that's owned some.  What's the world coming to?

I'll be buying a badger hair brush and straight razor soon, and wearing moleskin pants.

#winning

Stay away from those straight blade and even DE razors mate, unless you've got an hour and a half to have a shave every morning. A good badger brush and soap (I like Crabtree & Evelyn) will do wonders and a modernish razor with as little blades as possible works best for me. I use the good old Gillette sensor excel (2 blades). Not even an ape needs 5 blades to shave their face.

Straights have maintaince, but my Slant Sledge (Merkur 39C) w/ feathers destroys my stuble in no time. There is no reason at all anything with a disposiable blade should take any longer. Actually straights can be faster bar mantaince due to longer cutting edge.

(As an aside de is cheap as chips as well)

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Straights have maintaince, but my Slant Sledge (Merkur 39C) w/ feathers destroys my stuble in no time. There is no reason at all anything with a disposiable blade should take any longer. Actually straights can be faster bar mantaince due to longer cutting edge.
(As an aside de is cheap as chips as well)

QFT. Have the same setup exactly. Way better shave than with a cartridge razor. And far, FAR cheaper.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Cheaper for sure. Better shave? - not so sure about that.

I use a Merkur Futur (with which is the attack of the blade is adjustable) with a Feather blade and, yes, at the higher numbers it is a very close shave. But you have to use with care. At the lower numbers, it is much easier, but the shave is not as close. Perversely, I guess, a close shave is not normally what I'm after. I have a heavy beard and very close shaves run the risk of in-grown hairs. With an adjustable DE razor I can control that.

I have used DE razors for years - but I still use a multiple blade acrtridge razor when I travel - and every time I use it I am amazed at how easy it is to use and what a uniform ultra-close shave it delivers.

This question is a bit like vinyl v CDs. I still listen to tons of vinyl. As with using DE razor, I kind of old-fashioned vibe of it - and I have lots of music you either can't get on CD or I can't be bothered getting. But, unlike many, I will never say that the sound is better on vinyl. There are good reasons cartridge razors and CDs surplanted their predecessors.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was my experience as well. Only only ever used feathers because they are the sharpest, but also have a heavy beard and have battled in-growns all my life. DE's helped with this to an extent but needed a miniumum of 2 passes to get anywhere near a standard cartridge razor, which of course takes a lot longer when you need to re-lather etc.

I think that the razors are about the only thing cheaper though, as most guys that get in to DE shaving become obsessed (like clothes!) and buy all the other stuff that goes with it, so it ends up being more expensive overall. Anyway, that's my opinion/experience. My barber uses the straight blade on my neck FWIW and I do enjoy that, but would never go to the trouble of learning it myself.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This was my experience as well. Only only ever used feathers because they are the sharpest, but also have a heavy beard and have battled in-growns all my life. DE's helped with this to an extent but needed a miniumum of 2 passes to get anywhere near a standard cartridge razor, which of course takes a lot longer when you need to re-lather etc.
I think that the razors are about the only thing cheaper though, as most guys that get in to DE shaving become obsessed (like clothes!) and buy all the other stuff that goes with it, so it ends up being more expensive overall. Anyway, that's my opinion/experience. My barber uses the straight blade on my neck FWIW and I do enjoy that, but would never go to the trouble of learning it myself.

To get anything approximating a close shave I have to do one pass with the grain and one pass against, no matter what kind of razor I use. I only buy razors, soap and aftershave balm. The soap lasts for 6 months and the razors are stupidly cheap... I think I paid something like 13$ delivered for 50? I shave probably 3 times a week and usually use each blade for 4-6 shaves before replacing... So yeah they also last forever. Excluding the initial cost of a razor it's a year's worth of shaves for $30-40 or so.... I do think there is a significant saving to be had if you're smart about it. Last time I checked cartridges for the gillete mach 68 or whatever the latest one is were $25 for 4...

With those 5 blade razors etc, I feel like once one blade passes over your skin, it takes most of the lubricant from the shaving soap or cream with it, so the rest of the blades are essentially passing over unprotected skin...

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:
"Sporty Thursdays"
:laugh:

Last edited:

Robert Meredith

Reaction score

maplefuturist

Reaction score
My recommendation is that you order a pair of Loake 1880 Aldwych. These are Oxfords, which are Goodyear welted and still (apparently) made in England. They would be more than suitable for a job interview and could also be worn on other, more formal occasions. You can order them from Pediwear online for 162 pounds exclusive of VAT

Look perfect. Bit over my budget though. My main concern is getting the wrong size and having to ship it back. Could turn out incredibly expensive. I'm usually a EU 42, UK 8-8.5. Would I be safe ordering that size?

I'm not sure what sort of streetwear bloke you are or how many business formal occasions you go to - how formal they are and how many suits etc you have ... but - if the general answer is not many / not much then you might consider getting yourself a pair of nice black longwing brogues like the old school Florsheim Imperials - not the current crop.
There are USA second hand ones in good nick - and improved by a bit of conditioner - are available in Melbourne for around $60.

No business formal occasions. I'm 24, haven't finished my university education. Probably will return next year. I have one very old suit from high school which needs replacing. The types of jobs I'm going for: retail, sales, marketing assistant, mac operator, IT support. Anything I can get my hands on really. I might even try blue-collar work for a change, something like landscaping, so I don't need to go overboard. My currents shoes are falling apart so I thought I might as well spend the extra time and money now and get it right.

blah - if maplefuturist is mainly street /casual he wont get much use out of "dress" shoes.
I dunno - does these meerkats come in suitable brogues that will work with street/casual?

Probably won't be wearing these with denim if that's what you mean.

yeahbut..
Not all interviews are with banks, law firms and such.
Most places, any pair of shoes that aren't scuffed and dirty will look smarter than 70% of people.
Shoes that fit, are leather and clean will look better than 99%.
You think anyone outside here cares or even knows what a plain captoe is?

Bingo. I'm a young dude just trying to get back on my feet.
bigstar[1].gif

If I was in Sydney I would love to do this. I wonder if the money would allow me to survive in Sydney?

Last edited:

g-banger

Reaction score

Look perfect. Bit over my budget though. My main concern is getting the wrong size and having to ship it back. Could turn out incredibly expensive. I'm usually a EU 42, UK 8-8.5. Would I be safe ordering that size?

id suggest going on herring shoes site and having a look if you need lower priced shoes, than mentioned above (i own a pair of these and they rock)- and don't forget to add $50-70 for topy on the soles if your need to get them done.

Last edited:

rhubarb jam

Reaction score
I don't know where you're getting your Topy done, but he will need to spend no more than $35 - $40, not to mention this is something to think about 2 - 3 months down the line.

Also look at the Loake Churchill. Pediwear offer a free silk tie and shoe trees with full price Loake's, a nice little bonus for someone starting their collection/career.

In Melbourne at least, you won't find anything near the quality at that price point ($200 AUD). Best to go to David Jones and try a pair on for sizing comparison.

Good luck!

maplefuturist

Reaction score
Also look at the Loake Churchill. Pediwear offer a free silk tie and shoe trees with full price Loake's, a nice little bonus for someone starting their collection/career.

In Melbourne at least, you won't find anything near the quality at that price point ($200 AUD). Best to go to David Jones and try a pair on for sizing comparison.

In Perth unfortunately. Only option I know of around here is Gingers.

Last edited:

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Stay away from those straight blade and even DE razors mate, unless you've got an hour and a half to have a shave every morning. A good badger brush and soap (I like Crabtree & Evelyn) will do wonders and a modernish razor with as little blades as possible works best for me. I use the good old Gillette sensor excel (2 blades). Not even an ape needs 5 blades to shave their face.

I shave with a DE every morning - take about 10 or so mins, no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads