Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I think the Prof just exploded [​IMG]

2. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

whoa, are they really shoes one would wear outside the house?

3. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Before my wedding i did some dance classes and the dance instructor had some shoes like this.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Was he Scottish? I thought ghillies were traditionally worn with a kilt.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Finals football looming? Team not doing their best?

6. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Thats why im angry...
    Tigers out of the 8
    Liverpool are horrendous these days
    Waratahs would probably get dusted by their under 16s team
    NFL hasn't started

7. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I have a pair of these that I wear with my kilt. Ghillie Brogues. Smeggett's pair look nice.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

I feel your pain with the Tigers, fucking Souths of all teams to loose too by such a margin, and they blew a win against them earlier this year. The recent string of injuries has not helped matters.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

9. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Hopefully Tedesco and Sironen will play to potential next year. Disappointed we didnt get Lewis, but o well.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

What about a new coach? Not saying Tim is not good but might be time for him to move on.

Don't understand the logic behind buying Anasta.

Still five games to go, so one can only live in hope.

11. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Yeah it might be time for a new coach, but only if the right one is available. No point changing for the sake of it.

I dont get the Anasta signing either, unless they got him for peanut like they did Utai? Who knows..

If we dont make it i'll get behind the sharks. Only because i like Gal and their cheer girls

12. Geoffrey Firmin

[quote name="jaypee" url="/t/88856/australian-members/15945#post_5628993
    If we dont make it i'll get behind the sharks. Only because i like Gal and their cheer girls[/quote]

The wife yesterday said she wouldn't mind Souths winning. FTFAJ both the son and I asked when she was moving out.

If we don't make it I don't care, there is always next year( and the year after).

13. Deapht

Deapht Well-Known Member

speaking of footy, the broncos attack is so shit.
    corey norman has 0 impact, same with gellitte and petro for that matter who only played 15mins the last game.
    they hannant and teo on the bench, who have always been great and have dodds on the bench who plays 2minutes a game.

they've used 1 set play for the past month and it always stops at hoffman even though he has two of the best centres in the game outside of him

right now they are on par with ikin and berrigan when they were the halves and lockyer was injured. boring, no creativity and no attack

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Shirts -Jackets - Ties - an incomplete short burst

Much of the mens "classical" (perhaps better described as modern but we'll leave that) dress rules/conventions/guidelines/tradition derives from an english or British background. Influenced by climate, class structures, occupations and a division between sport home and work (country vs city).

For a long time the shirt was regarded as underwear, (it still is technically as it is next to skin and moist areas) and therefore was not shown in polite company. So the "rule' keep jacket on at all times. One reason to show shirt collar and cuffs is that the jacket should not touch skin, the underwear, the shirt, should protect the jacket from the skin sweat etc.

It doesn't take too much research to understand that in UK in the 1920s it was generally cold - even in summer and often wet - and that even inside, the heating in an office would still require a jacket. And that wearing a jacket would not be an imposition.

The tie is a funny old thing. related in origin to the scarf but taken in a different direction. Refined to what it is today with minor variations in width and material. So much so that to a great majority of the population all ties look the same. The modern tie has no practical function. It is a visual addition. A frippery whereby men can indulge in rich materials and colour. A throw back to the old days of European court dressing when jackets were brocaded silk of bright colours.

A few clothing nerds, me included, think that , in general, a tie should be accompanied by a jacket. (I could diverge here and rant upon the inadvisability of ties with leather jackets, short blouson jackets etc, but we will leave that for another day).

The vest or waistcoat is a way of hiding underwear and framing the tie. The 3 piece suit might be another way of adapting to our conditions with the vest taking on a greater role in summer as a more formal presentation of shirt and tie.

The lightweight cardigan and woollen or cotton sleeveless cardigan is often used in modern office to compensate the draft in cold spots when a jacket is too hot. The cardigan and short sleeved cardigan can take on a slight more formal/dressy role in the Australian office. Slightly less formal thana jacket but more formal than just a shirt.

However given the climate in Australia, modern office and now home , controlled temperatures, the operative words are IN GENERAL

To keep its a bit short - the tie and shirt references the suit. Hardy Amies - no slouch when it came to modern and traditional British clothing - actually praised the men of Sydney, when he saw them in trousers, even shorts and shirt and tie - no jacket. He described it, I don't remember the exact words, as a nod to the suit, holding on to the a sign or respect for the suit even while adapting to the hot weather.

The reality is that in many parts of Australia there are many days when it is over 30C and even over 22c inside air con / temperature controlled buildings. even in winter it can be too hot in a modern building for a jacket.

Open necked shirts are perhaps more appropriate at times but a shirt and tie without a jacket is a perfectly acceptable adaptation to our world.

The question of what type of tie an what type of shirt is one relevant issue.

The transition of the shirt from underwear to outwear has to be accompanied by a change in the nature, material, colour and fitting of a shirt.

If a tie and shirt is worn without a jacket it should NOT be simply a suit with jacket off.

The ties should not be shiney Melbourne Cup pastel footballers tie. The knot not a full windsor.

Attention should be paid to the trousers, the belt, the shirt and the tie when it is intentional to wear tie without jacket.

I have my ideas but as a starters I'd say, smart cotton chinos, brown shoes, brown leather belt, slim (ish) pale blue shirt, narrow (ish) knit tie, square end - either wool, cotton, silk, - tie pin or tie tucked in or not.

I'm sure others can do better or comment or add to some thoughts on how to adapt the tie and shirt to business environment without jacket.

15. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

They're missing Yow Yeh and Hodges quite a bit.

I thought Gillette was going OK, but haven't watched the bronc in 2 weeks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.