1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Some style blogs seem to present it as one of two choices. You can either go the oversized black suit with trotters look pioneered by Australian men, or the bloggerblue-superpeaklapels-doublebreasted-bracelets-doublemonks-lapelpin look. There is indeed an in between, which is I imagine where most of us fit in.

Clip on braces I can understand partially. They might not be traditional, but they still remain functional. That extra long tie blade thing I've been seeing a bit of, it is ridiculous. To tie your tie like that and get a blade that long, you must be a pretty short guy, and accentuating this just makes you look shorter.

The bracelet thing just reminds me of this, which if you haven't seen is just indescribable : http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com/

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Can recommend Hunt leather as well if you are after any Longchamp kit for your missus.

3. Romp

Romp Senior member

Im not sure i understand the "function" of braces on MTM/bespoke trousers that have side tabs. Unless its for the look?

You need fishtails for braces... or an OTR fat-man suit :)

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I think a fishtail back is something that goes a bit far (ie I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing a pair of trousers with this) - so it's not 100% necessary for wearing braces?

And yeah - do you need side tabs as well if you get pants made for braces? Do they just then enable you to wear them without the braces if you need to?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. Romp

Romp Senior member

MTM/bespoke pants are suppose to be your size ... so you dont need a belt.. why do you need braces?

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Perhaps it's because I am a bit larger around the waist, but I find that whilst my trousers with side-adjusters sit at the right height in the morning, they tend to slip down over the course of the day. Wearing braces stops that from happening.

7. Romp

Romp Senior member

you dont look big at all!

I wonder if Ambrosi wears braces...

8. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Do you ever find that bracers are an annoyance in summer? ie by pressing the shirt onto your skin, perhaps making it sweaty etc.

I could see this happening in walks around the Melb cbd in dec/jan/feb - although to be honest everyone end's up pretty sweaty anyway....

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

^^ That might be true on average... but what do you think the percentages are for Loakes in DJs, HBucks, Macleods, Beggar Man Thief etc.... :satisfied:

11. Romp

Romp Senior member

100% if your name is Michael Sy [​IMG]

12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

[​IMG] errrrrr

Back me up here Pink Socks?

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

all good mate - ive tried on sneakers at rebel and bought @ wiggle

14. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

EDIT: Probably not.

All good Rompster. Guilty as charged :).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  15. fxh

fxh Senior member

I think in the real world about 2/5ths of SFA

Many online purchasers would not be in the market for shoes that are 2 X dearer than online anyway.

Many men who ask me about my shoes would never go online and would prefer to go to McClouds (and do) etc. Same with Beggar Man. The small % they "lose" to online will be more than compensated for by the brand names, Loake etc, being more widely known and sought after by the walk in crowd.

Trying on shoes is important and for most people, who only run 2 - 5 pair of shoes at a time the small premium for buying locally is easily worth it to ensure well fitting shoes of the right last and colour. Paying the B&M premium, for most people, is a small price to pay for fit, seeing shoes, getting help, buying shoes when you want them, not having to repack, figure out what size and model is best, send them back @$70 when they don't fit etc etc .

The online shirt sales have been popular well before these forums. Just the other day I saw 6 T M Lewin shirts in various colours , all the same size, hardly used, if used at all, in an opshop. Another wrong size I'd guess. I see bunches of Trywhitt and Lewin like this frequently enough to say its a common occurrence. (Sadly they are never my size or they are atrocious colours and checks with double cuffs and /or at the Salvos @ $16 +) Even forumites hate this - imagine how the average bloke feels. And what he cops from the Sig. Other.

16. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

After hearing all the leather stuff, what's a good simple wallet(billfold)? I assume 'Hunt Leather' has one and also what are the benefits of natural tanned leather?

17. jmills

jmills Senior member

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

like raw denim .. its in the patina/personalisation

my ilbisonte wallet im using today ... natural patina builds up
    [​IMG]

started off looking like this

[​IMG]

19. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

1 person likes this.