• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I do. For a pair of cap toes, they are ugly as sin. Ugly last and awfully short toe cap.
Im not a fan of the uneven lace pattern but is that toe cap any shorter than edward green toe caps?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/SPOILER]
I don't see anything wrong with his Park Ave's, man.

Aside from how ugly they are, the way he said it makes it sound like he's expecting to turn heads left right and centre. These are the same shoes I wore to school from when I was 15 when peter sheppards use to stock them

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from how ugly they are, the way he said it makes it sound like he's expecting to turn heads left right and centre. These are the same shoes I wore to school from when I was 15 when peter sheppards use to stock them
I am glad someone came out and say it. The way they carry on in other parts of SF, you would have though AEs are God's gifts to the kingdom of footwear. I would not say the PAs are ugly, but somehow, comparing them to Meermin for example, the shape looks somewhat off. I just cant shake the feeling something is wrong. Also not a big fan of cross-lacing in formal dress shoes.

BTW, anyone went to the Herringbone Warehouse sale in Surry Hills?

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am glad someone came out and say it.  The way they carry on in other parts of SF, you would have though AEs are God's gifts to the kingdom of footwear. I would not say the PAs are ugly, but somehow, comparing them to Meermin for example, the shape looks somewhat off.  I just cant shake the feeling something is wrong.  Also not a big fan of cross-lacing in formal dress shoes.

Completely disagree with the above and with all of the other negatives on Park Aves and AEs. They're a great shoe. Sometimes you don't want to peacock and need a solid black business shoe and there is nothing better. A well polished pair of black captoes does stand out because 90% of people out there wear those ugly slip on things.

The "shape" that looks off to you, looks very sleek to me. I have very narrow feet, and there is nothing better than AE's 5 last. Having worn 5 lasted AEs for a while, most of the English=made and other shoes posted here look fat and unweildy on the top down shots. I don't think I could stand having wide feet, to me a sleek shoe looks way better.

There's a reason that the AE thread is about the fastest moving thread on these boards. They're a good brand with great CS who make quality shoes at an almost unbeatable price.

To the person who posted their AEs above, definitely go with dress lacing. To my mind, they look far better when the laces meet or almost meet in the middle:

Here are some AEs which may be more to the taste of the members in this thread weened on John Lobbs and Carminas:

In summary, the world of shoes does in fact extend past western Europe.

*edit oh and while on a bit of a rant, I personally can't stand monks of any kind. Singular or plural. They remind me of the velcro strap overs I had in pre-school. An adult man's dress shoes should have laces. The end of the blogger fetish for them can't come soon enough IMO. And, (not that I have tried any on, I have to admit - can't bring myself to go near them) I cannot imagine that they would fit anywhere near as well as a pair of laced shoes. It just seems physically impossible that they would.

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In summary, the world of shoes does in fact extend past western Europe.

wow.gif

Heresy!

Also duly noted that Lachyzee is an AE lover. Report to Shoe Command Silo 1 for further action.

ps Nice pics, but those AEs still not working for me.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally I see these as a casual shoe and would never wear them with a suit. I know that's not how it's always been, and I know not everyone will agree.:hide:

NB I made the point above just to illustrate that what might look completely abhorrent to me, is someone else's idea of style par excellence.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice AEs lachyzee. Big fan of the AE Delray myself.

What are those AE loafers called?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're talking about PA's lachyzee. I dont mind other like the Daltons in cordovan

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
While we are talking about shoes anyone want to buy my brand new, unworn (except one try on carpet in my bedroom) Meermin chocolate brown suede double monks in UK9? Dainite/rubber sole. I will send these anywhere in Australia for $175 so you save ~$20 and speedy delivery.These are the photo i posted like 2 days ago and this is the product link from the meermin site http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2311

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just half a size away, otherwise I would be all over it.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ If you a 7~7.5UK I would jump on the dub monk bandwagon straight away.

Anyway, all superior to ugly AEs:
6fe8ea56_sm50006-1.jpeg

559465194_o.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads