1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naka

Naka Senior member

The Wire, if you haven't seen it already.
    Archer
    Community
    Adventure Time - A great cartoon that you can watch with your kids. It's got a few hidden messages and storylines that adults can pick up on.

2. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Should I, measured my meerkats shoes they are same sole width and length and these seem to be marked as 'ff' which I'm assuming is really wide (perfect for me)?
    C&J Wing-tips

3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Treme (made by David Simon of The Wire)

If you don't mind sub-titles, some class European dramas:
    • The Killing (series 1, then 2)
    • Borgen
    • Spiral (L'Engrenage)

4. joiji

joiji Senior member

5. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is hilarious.
    The Walking Dead is a lot of nothing for 50 minutes. Has become so incredibly boring

Homeland is very, very good as well.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

House of lies - with Don Cheadle and the hot chick off Veronica Mars, awesome. It's on tonight I think actually.

7. azif

azif Senior member

I think the point is that its much easier for sellers to shill bid online. So to avoid this everyone just puts in their max bids in the final few seconds (apart from the few people who fail to comprehend the above).

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Oh yes, Louie and It's Always Sunny are great.

The D.E.N.N.I.S. system - fool proof.

Season 2 of The Walking Dead dragged on. Season 3 has come out all guns blazing to mitigate the shininess of the second half of Season 2.

9. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

The Unit; only 4 seasons... but cool as. :slayer:

Created / written by an ex-Delta Force shooter named Eric Haney.

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

[​IMG]

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Bored to Death is also a great show, or shoe.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Bunny,

Whilst the uppers appear to be in good condition, these have clearly seen quite a lot of use as the insoles look pretty hammered and they've been resoled (and seen plenty more use since the last resole, too.

Given the amount of wear that they've had, I think that the asking price is pretty high. Then again, I don't know how often smaller sizes in wider fittings come up on the 'Bay, so they might be worth a bit more because of that.

13. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

BTW just caught up on the thread and within minutes of losing my bid I had given up and 'gixened' another jacket (albeit not quite as new as the one I was after) :).
    Opinions on the C&J, though I'm having second thoughts as if I win the barbour I will have spent $120 on luxire, $150 or so on the barbour and then another $200 for the C&J's, thinking of leaving the C&J's till Jan and grabbing some Superga's instead (heating up here).
    C&J (ID if you can) their $200 BIN (with shipping)
    EDIT:
    Just saw JM's post ^ Think I'll leave them and go for the superga's :) (my wife's also getting pissed that I'm spending more money on clothes than her :p)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

No, I won't ever be stupid if I do this. I cannot comprehend how this is difficult to see. I will put into eBay's system the maximum price I am happy with. I will be happy if I win for anything less than this price. Indeed if I do win, because of the incremental eBay bidding system, I will likely win for less than my maximum bid. Anyone who wants to pay more than me will do so. It is inconsequential whether I lose during the normal bidding stages or during the final seconds, because I have place my max bid and this is the highest that I will pay.

Assuming I'm bidding on a popular item and there are plenty of bidders it simply does not matter whether they are sniping or not. They will bid up to their maximum using a sniping tool and eBay's system will outbid this amount up to my max bid.

EVERYONE PLACES THEIR MAX BID AT SOME POINT. IT CAN BE NORMALLY, OR THROUGH A SNIPER. THE PERSON WITH THE HIGHEST MAX BID WINS. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHEN THE BID IS PLACED.

I am clearly hogging this thread and will retire for some time.

No one said this, though it is interesting. But couldn't I just shill bid with a sniping tool? Again, it would be inconsequential.

15. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

I'm terribly conflicted with this show. On one hand it is not an accurate portrayal of Management Consulting (bar the "buzz" words") as it pseudo claims to be. On the other, I highly enjoy seeing Kristen Bell semi naked in every episode.

16. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

They don't. That's where your theory falls down. If everyone did place their max bid at some point, then sure, you would never be disadvantaged by placing yours at the start. But they don't.

17. lennier

lennier Senior member

My only contribution to this, only because I'm sick of reading the same thing over and over with the point being missed. DR is wrong, as was made clear much earlier on. Who wins may not be affected but HOW MUCH THE WINNER HAS TO PAY most definitely can be, due to the way some bidders behave.

18. thebrownman

I know. I was disappointed when it was cancelled.

19. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Breaking my promise not to comment, but just can't let this go.

Three scenarios:

1) People place their maximum bid, see my point earlier. Either they win or I do.
    2) People don't place their maximum bid, mine is higher, they lose.
    3) People don't place their maximum bid, but their bid is still higher than mine and I lose.

These are the only scenarios that can occur. Whether the other bidders and rational or irrational in their approach does not affect me, because I have placed the maximum amount of money that I want to.

20. thebrownman

I just bought burgundy tassel loafers.

Word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.