Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

:nest:

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The beauty of the FIH is it's not supposed to be balanced, it should be assymetrical. But I must say mainly what I don't like about the windsor family of knots and there variants is not the symmetry but rather the fattness of the knot, whereas a FIH has a longer slender shape, regardless of the angle of the knot. Anyway each to their own, but I will say that I work very closely with my tie maker to make sure they are spaced correctly to tie with a FIH at the right length (back blade and front blade of the same/similar length) and I think we get it right in most cases.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

I sometimes use the Pratt knot on thinner ties and if I need to shorten the tie or fill a collar- I'm not a fan of 4IH with spread collars - if I need to lengthen it I use the Chinese knot a thinner variant of the 4IH that also sticks out a bit more.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Johnson staff always look too Pitti and tight and short and no socks to me.

5. Sceps

Sceps Well-Known Member

They definitely made it sound out to be a tailor for gen u, out anyone who likes to dress less conservatively then the norm.

6. Sceps

Sceps Well-Known Member

7. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

I find sometimes if you knot it too far towards the tail, the skinnierpart of the tie makes a more rigid "dimple" almost like a crease.

Try tying it lower down the blade and dont over tighten from the bottom of the knot.. Pull from the top so u dont destroy thr dimple.

Just my 2cents of 20years of tie tying lol

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It's funny you should post that as just after I read it this came up on my tumblr feed -

[​IMG]

Now it's clearly ridiculous and clearly too tight even for those who like to wear their suits slim, but he himself even says in the article that he "plays the peacock so his clients dont have to". And it has 104 notes on tumblr... So I think that a lot of guys that buy off him (of which there are plenty on this thread) probably tone down quite a bit from what he wears, both fit and colour wise. In the tumblr community I think a lot of people are attracted to that Pitti look he does well.

And lets face it, he has done a lot more for Australian mens tailored clothing both locally and o/seas than Zinks or any other tailors have done in the last few years, which for me personally is only a good thing. The son from Zinks did look sharp in that article though..

9. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Gerry and I had this exact conversation today over lunch. Everyone we both know who wears P Johnson doesn't look at all "fashioney", they just look sharp, so it's a matter of how you want the final product to look and how you like to wear it. Anyway, they're just clothes. Who's watching Le Tour?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  10. blahman

blahman Senior member

Gen Ys make perfect sense. More interesting in fashion, just hitting their stride in their career, lot more life left than gen x. :laugh:

11. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

How much do American Tailors in Melbourne charge for their Carmina selection? I've only been in the store once, I was 16 (nine years ago).

I've wanted to go in for the past 18 months, but I'm actually scared of them and I expect they'll treat me like shit..

12. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Liquigas needs to go harder.

Even the other examples of PJohnson are still a fair distance from my prefrences -- I wouldn't say more conservative per say but certainly more Piti/ blog/forum/ groupthink inspired.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I don't care about my barber's hairstyle, just that he cuts my hair the way I like it,

When I was last there a few months ago, it was around the $500 mark. FWIW, I've had no issues with them but I know people who have. When I was first there, it felt like I was being sized up though. I haven't bought anything there but still pop in for a chat if I'm in the area.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Agree with this. He has people talking and he is following a passion.

Take a friend, walk in, say hello, look around, ask questions, be polite and say thanks when you leave. It's just a shop, and they are just people.

15. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I noticed this morning that Strickland & Sons on Bourke Street appears to have been rebranded as 'Tolley'. A quick search shows that Andrew Tolley is listed as the contact for Strickland & Sons in Australia.

It strikes me as a slightly more modern name but I wonder about the impacts of no longer being a 'Saville Row' tailor. I wonder if they will change their inventory at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.