• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not so much the thickness, but the lopsideness of the FIH in the pic. Hence my suggestions of the alternative knots.

Personally, I always have problems "balancing" up a FIH, but perhaps that is due to lack of skill on my part.  Not quite ne plus ultra yet.

I do not know the tie thickness, but I very much agree that the windsors are not appropriate for thick materials.  

The beauty of the FIH is it's not supposed to be balanced, it should be assymetrical. But I must say mainly what I don't like about the windsor family of knots and there variants is not the symmetry but rather the fattness of the knot, whereas a FIH has a longer slender shape, regardless of the angle of the knot. Anyway each to their own, but I will say that I work very closely with my tie maker to make sure they are spaced correctly to tie with a FIH at the right length (back blade and front blade of the same/similar length) and I think we get it right in most cases.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes use the Pratt knot on thinner ties and if I need to shorten the tie or fill a collar- I'm not a fan of 4IH with spread collars - if I need to lengthen it I use the Chinese knot a thinner variant of the 4IH that also sticks out a bit more.

Sceps

Reaction score

Interesting write up.
It kind of gave me the impression that they were painting Patrick's approach in a somewhat negative light? Did anyone else get that?

They definitely made it sound out to be a tailor for gen u, out anyone who likes to dress less conservatively then the norm.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yeah still trying to get the dimpling down pact. Suit is Indochino btw.

I find sometimes if you knot it too far towards the tail, the skinnierpart of the tie makes a more rigid "dimple" almost like a crease.

Try tying it lower down the blade and dont over tighten from the bottom of the knot.. Pull from the top so u dont destroy thr dimple.

Just my 2cents of 20years of tie tying lol

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Johnson staff always look too Pitti and tight and short and no socks to me.

It's funny you should post that as just after I read it this came up on my tumblr feed -

Now it's clearly ridiculous and clearly too tight even for those who like to wear their suits slim, but he himself even says in the article that he "plays the peacock so his clients dont have to". And it has 104 notes on tumblr... So I think that a lot of guys that buy off him (of which there are plenty on this thread) probably tone down quite a bit from what he wears, both fit and colour wise. In the tumblr community I think a lot of people are attracted to that Pitti look he does well.

And lets face it, he has done a lot more for Australian mens tailored clothing both locally and o/seas than Zinks or any other tailors have done in the last few years, which for me personally is only a good thing. The son from Zinks did look sharp in that article though..

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I think that a lot of guys that buy off him (of which there are plenty on this thread) probably tone down quite a bit from what he wears, both fit and colour wise. In the tumblr community I think a lot of people are attracted to that Pitti look he does well.
And lets face it, he has done a lot more for Australian mens tailored clothing both locally and o/seas than Zinks or any other tailors have done in the last few years, which for me personally is only a good thing. The son from Zinks did look sharp in that article though..

Gerry and I had this exact conversation today over lunch. Everyone we both know who wears P Johnson doesn't look at all "fashioney", they just look sharp, so it's a matter of how you want the final product to look and how you like to wear it. Anyway, they're just clothes. Who's watching Le Tour?

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They definitely made it sound out to be a tailor for gen u, out anyone who likes to dress less conservatively then the norm.

Gen Ys make perfect sense. More interesting in fashion, just hitting their stride in their career, lot more life left than gen x. :laugh:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much do American Tailors in Melbourne charge for their Carmina selection? I've only been in the store once, I was 16 (nine years ago).

I've wanted to go in for the past 18 months, but I'm actually scared of them and I expect they'll treat me like ****..

Plestor

Reaction score

Who's watching Le Tour?

Liquigas needs to go harder.

Even the other examples of PJohnson are still a fair distance from my prefrences -- I wouldn't say more conservative per say but certainly more Piti/ blog/forum/ groupthink inspired.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny you should post that as just after I read it this came up on my tumblr feed -

Now it's clearly ridiculous and clearly too tight even for those who like to wear their suits slim, but he himself even says in the article that he "plays the peacock so his clients dont have to".

I don't care about my barber's hairstyle, just that he cuts my hair the way I like it,

How much do American Tailors in Melbourne charge for their Carmina selection? I've only been in the store once, I was 16 (nine years ago).
I've wanted to go in for the past 18 months, but I'm actually scared of them and I expect they'll treat me like ****..

When I was last there a few months ago, it was around the $500 mark. FWIW, I've had no issues with them but I know people who have. When I was first there, it felt like I was being sized up though. I haven't bought anything there but still pop in for a chat if I'm in the area.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And lets face it, he has done a lot more for Australian men's tailored clothing both locally and o/seas than Zinks or any other tailors have done in the last few years, which for me personally is only a good thing.

Agree with this. He has people talking and he is following a passion.

Take a friend, walk in, say hello, look around, ask questions, be polite and say thanks when you leave. It's just a shop, and they are just people.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
I noticed this morning that Strickland & Sons on Bourke Street appears to have been rebranded as 'Tolley'. A quick search shows that Andrew Tolley is listed as the contact for Strickland & Sons in Australia.

It strikes me as a slightly more modern name but I wonder about the impacts of no longer being a 'Saville Row' tailor. I wonder if they will change their inventory at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads