Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheChefs

TheChefs Well-Known Member

I often wear my navy sportcoat (with brown horn buttons) with my jeans and my chelsea boots. Looks quite nice, I think. Certainly my wife thinks so.

Same here, I wear my sports coats with darker jeans without washes, I get complements on it all the time. Raw denim is great for that.

2. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

My wife says she'll divorce me if I wear chinos.

[​IMG]

I love chino's. They're super comfortable and versatile. Depends on the chinos though (i.e. not baggy, pleated monstrosities).

Gray flannels with a sports coat... you can't go too far wrong with that.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

Just out of interest, what sort of pants do you guys wear with sportscoats (besides jeans?)

My wife says she'll divorce me if I wear chinos. Navy sportscoats + chinos + boat shoes = grounds for divorce in her opinion. Plus, its a very cliched 'trad' look that may not be appropriate for a cool mid-30's guy like me trying to get in touch with his European roots [​IMG]

I see lots of good sports coats around but I'm always wondering what sort of trousers to match them with.

What do Alan Flusser et al. suggest?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

When in doubt - ask - "What would Charlie Do"?

[​IMG]

5. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Just out of interest, what sort of pants do you guys wear with sportscoats (besides jeans?)

My wife says she'll divorce me if I wear chinos. Navy sportscoats + chinos + boat shoes = grounds for divorce in her opinion. Plus, its a very cliched 'trad' look that may not be appropriate for a cool mid-30's guy like me trying to get in touch with his European roots [​IMG]

I see lots of good sports coats around but I'm always wondering what sort of trousers to match them with.

What do Alan Flusser et al. suggest?

At the risk of divorce, it's hard to look past chinos, isn't it?

I can understand her aversion but it's all in the execution. I saw a grinning Phat Guido stroll past me on Darlinghurst Road in chinos on Saturday morning and he really did look 'most exerent':
    http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/1...t-bespoke-trou
    Can't imagine her complaning if you pulled it off with such aplomb. Looked modern and stylish rather than naff and trad (the smooth bastard [​IMG] ). Would she be better with grey rather than beige?

I confess that I'm in chinos and a blue SC (with brogues and a lavender OCBD) right now. Don't think it's looking too cliched trad as both jacket and chinos are reasonably fitted (though you/she have got me wondering now). Do it with jeans too though conscious that the colours might be too close.

Careful of looking to the Europeans for inspiration: it's them who've given us men in pink or green trousers! On my last visit to an Italian colleague at Griffith Uni, he was in retina-incinerating pale blue strides with his blazer. Is colour-blindness a common Tally problem? And don't they call the blue SC and paler trousers 'the English look' anyway?

6. Some consulting guy

Some consulting guy Active Member

Same here, I wear my sports coats with darker jeans without washes, I get complements on it all the time. Raw denim is great for that.

For me, this^. I think dark jeans are very good with a sports coat/blazer, but I only wear a blazer for casual, not business. I still work in a fairly formal work place, so its suits only for work.

7. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

For the record I currently wear my jackets with dark jeans and I love it. However I'm exploring options for situations where jeans aren't an option (i.e. too hot in summer...or for work occasions).

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for the tips fxh, she used to live there so we have the food and stuff to do covered pretty well, just want to check out some of the better stores mainly.

Cheers

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

[​IMG]

I love chino's. They're super comfortable and versatile. Depends on the chinos though (i.e. not baggy, pleated monstrosities).

At the risk of divorce, it's hard to look past chinos, isn't it?

I can understand her aversion but it's all in the execution. I saw a grinning Phat Guido stroll past me on Darlinghurst Road in chinos on Saturday morning and he really did look 'most exerent':
    http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/1...t-bespoke-trou
    Can't imagine her complaning if you pulled it off with such aplomb. Looked modern and stylish rather than naff and trad (the smooth bastard [​IMG] ). Would she be better with grey rather than beige?

+1 on the chinos.

As JohnsNotHere and Oleg have said, it's about getting the right pair of chino pants.

Rather than getting baggy, pleated ones from Target or Fletcher Jones, instead look to Lands End (their tailored version), Charles Tyrwhitt, or Brooks Brothers (the Milano cut) for slimmer chinos in a great range of colours.

I just took delivery of six pairs from Lands End and Charles Tyrwhitt - Nantucket red and white chinos from Lands End, and light brown, chocolate brown, sky blue and navy from Tyrwhitt.

I've also just placed an order for a green pair from Brooks Brothers and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival!

Once the BB ones arrive, I think that I shall be all set for summer.

Chinos do not make you daggy, just as wearing grey trousers and a blue jacket does not make you a security guard! It's all in the cut, the colours, the combinations and the accessories.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

For the record I currently wear my jackets with dark jeans and I love it. However I'm exploring options for situations where jeans aren't an option (i.e. too hot in summer...or for work occasions).
    You could always go for the unlined linen suits. Or you could get some khaki baggy chinos, a pair of tasseled burgundy loafers, a light green pastel polo top and team it with a navy blazer and tell your wife you are following your dream, then give her the url of Ask Andy waywt, as you stride manfully out the door to some masculine endeavor, like a buying spree of silk pocket hankies.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Just pull out a few old vinyl album covers - you do have vinyl don't you? - and show her Miles Davis or Nat King Cole in jacket and chinos. Those cats were hip, cool and talented and they never wore jeans.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

13. jobro

jobro Senior member

I don't like blazers/sporcoats with jeans. It encourages very sloppy looks from people with no sense of fit.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I don't like blazers/sporcoats with jeans. It encourages very sloppy looks from people with no sense of fit.

Nonsense. True, some people don't pull the look off, but that can be said of any look. But I don't dismiss the combination because of a few duds.

15. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

Kyle Sandilands springs to mind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.