Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Got myself some new laces last week courtesy of The Knottery. I'm going to have some fun giving my shoes a slightly different look!

[​IMG]

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

cute idea

3. sliq

sliq Senior member

the purple laces would look excellent on tan brogues. mmm

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Also not expensive, requires minimal effort and most importantly, reversible..

5. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Nice. I like the knottery but not for their ties!

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

Thanks, might pop in for a look. I did find a pair of Lanvins like that from a store from Italy that ships int'l last year, but didn't end up buying them. The C&J Wembleys do look great but price range is really pushing it let alone EGs and and JLs. Some day, but not now. Does it not a tad funny that it seems only the upper end of the makers provide such styles?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I agree with both quar and Ernesto on the majority of this. For all we know the old bugger may not want too much work and may well make a very good living fixing high heels and topying soles already. So I think everyone should take a step back and wait until it's confirmed he is happy to take on enquiries before you go writing the guys new business plan for him and researching which tanneries will ship to Australia. At the end of the day the reality is that it's his business to organise not ours, it'd be like me asking you guys to find me some silk weavers in Como....

I'm in a fairly close situation to Quar too, not quite as high end but I mainly rotate, 2 pair of Carmina, 2 pair of Loake 1880 and a pair of CJ's plus a pair of MTO Meermins for my wedding in Sept (which will also replace 1 x Loake). It's not about qty now but quality. I'd rather now buy 1 x pair of Carmina per year than 2-3 Cheaper shoes.

8. Henry Carter

I've been reading this fantastic old Fly Fishing book wrote in the 60's of a man names John Hedge, a very respected fly fisherman of his era and his quest on his 60th birthday to take 6 months off and spend a season fishing the Monaro streams. The book is called "Trout Fishing - A Season on Monaro". I came across it at a coast house in Tuross Heads earlier this year and have searched loing and hard for a copy under $200, when I finally snagged a good version on ebay for $50.

Anyway theres this great story of a retired Colonel that visits from England to fish with him for a few weeks and a pic of him after catching a cracking Brown on the Maclaughlin River which I had to scan. Here is the colonel dressed for fishing in tweed, a cravat, pocket square, cap and monocle and yet he doesn't look at all costumey.

[​IMG]

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

save one for the new arrival. could be a nice touch dependiong on purpose, imo.

10. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

My Meermin's arrived today!!!

Black double monks on the Hiro Last.

Weird last shape IMO. Heel is quite wide and toe box is quite narrow.

I'm finding that my heal slipping a fair bit but the toe box is tight.

And very stiff on first wear.

Great looking last though.

I also have suede boots coming which im looking forward to getting.

pics to come

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

are you familiar with Hans Gebetsroither? he was the trainer of Charles Ritz on his yearly trips to the Traunsee.

"Albert Goddart was born in the town Bouillon (south of Belgium - Ardennes) just before World War one. After World War II he became a well know caster and fished a lot of times together with Hans Gebetsroiter and Charles Ritz (so he could learn the Gebetsroither style). At that time Goddart was one of the best flycasters in the world and was more or less sponsored by Hardy. I never met him because he died in the early sixties but met a lot of people who knew him. In the early fifties the first international (official) casting championships (CIPS) started and the world championships in Brussels in 1958 was his moment of glory where he won a silver medal. During this period he met a lot of Americans and visited also the USA. There he demonstrated the Gebetsroither Style, that's why the Americans call it the Belgian Style."

[​IMG]

rumours are out that Mr. Hemingway joined Ritz on one of his trips...

12. Henry Carter

Very interesting.. No I am not aware of him though. The main reading I've done is all about our own streams here in Australia & New Zealand but I have also done some research in to the clear bright blue streams of Slovenia as well. I'll have to do some googling later today. Thanks for sharing.

13. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Ha this is rubbish. I have multiple pairs of CJs, Vass, EGs etc but dont mind trying this old guy for something different

14. quar

quar Senior member

^

I currently use WW Chan and P Johnson, but I figure I might try out Zara's new MTM Service, just for something different.

15. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

If Zara brought out a MTM service for a good price I would 100% try it

You should spend more time worrying about things that matter rather than internet friends shoe preferences

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.