Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

2. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

3. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

^^ Oh man, that's a fine distinction. Still, I guess this is SF :)

5. quar

quar Senior member

Actually, he suggested that this style is difficult to find amongst English catalogues.

John Lobb, Edward Green and Crockett & Jones all offer shoes in that style.

6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

ummmm, not really. To me, big difference in looks/silhoutte between captoe and non captoe. I suppose I am pedantic....

7. quar

quar Senior member

You are happy to be pedantic about the differences between a cap-toe and plain-toe oxford, but get all excited about glued MTO shoes for $150AU, to the point where you suggest sourcing high-end uppers from overseas.

8. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Touche! To explain, I am just curious about the fit on those "glued MTO shoes" if the shoemaker takes more input on measurements for my feet. For $150, a cheap way for me to satisfy my curiosity, and get a unique product. You can say I am both pedantic AND curious.

In any case, your rebuke goes to pedantics on quality of construction. My pedantics were directed at the visual element.

9. quar

quar Senior member

To me, watching a few of you guys jump onto the band-wagon of some "bargain" product just signifies what is wrong with our mentality here in the Australian Members Thread.

Save that $150 for your first pair of excellent bench-made English shoes. Don't waste your time looking for any intermediate products.

The AU is killing it at the moment. Especially against the Euro. Buy a pair of Carmina shoes. Or buy a pair of C&J. Invest in something worthwhile, rather than a number of disposable temporary pieces.

I bought my first pair of Vass shoes whilst still a University Student. I still wear them today. Be patient, save up money, and buy right the first time.

I don't mean to be an arsehole, but I just think too many people favour quantity over quality. The better options out there aren't that much more expensive if you are patient, and avoid wasting your money on the intermediate products.

I currently rotate 3 pairs of shoes at work, and they suit me just fine - John Lobb City II (Brown Museum Calf), Carmina Penny Loafer (Brown Suede) and Vass U-Last Whole-Cut (Black Calf). Granted, I have a few other pairs of high-end shoes, but I rarely wear them. My point is, men don't need many clothes at all. So make it count when you do purchase something. Make it something worthwhile.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

10. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

But I already have some English Cheaneys, a Meermin, a Scribe...no Vass, and waiting on Romp for Carmina.

I think you are being a bit harsh- a little curiosity does no harm. At least it is better than blind brand whoring at outlet prices. Still I agree with your take on the general drift of the thread. Reminds me of Bunnings furniture polish. And totally agree on having a no wastage attitude to consumption (buy-use-throw-repeat syndrome).

p/s jury still out on Carmina vs Meermin. And being able to rotate a pair of brown suede loafers for work is quite a luxury!

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

^^ I think there's a lot of merit in not buying a $150 shoe in Aus and waiting until you can afford a $250-$350 Loake or AE. You get 5x the quality for 1.5x the price.

However in my opinion, the jump from that level of shoe to something higher provides a much less tangible benefit for most of us. I certainly wouldn't recommend that your average uni grad save up for John Lobbs or C&J unless they covet a particular style or they fit a particular last exceptionally well, if that's what you're arguing. They'd much better off grabbing two pairs of "entry-level" shoes.

12. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Whoops forgot you were waiting on me - you in a hurry? im taking a few days off to drive around the hunter valley at the back end of the week.

ill wear a pair of meermins and bring the carminas and you can compare:)

13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Hehe I am in no rush. Also have a naggy suspicion it will be half size too large. But hope springs eternal.

Have a good break, then get back to me later!

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

they can be blake stiched or handwelted. a sole picture would help.

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Try Luisa in Collins St. I bought a pair of Testonis there a couple of years ago that are quite like those. Maybe they still have that sort of thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.