Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El QUaG

El QUaG Senior member

Paddington Vinnies is notorious for steep pricing. You do however, tend to find some high end brands through there given the local clientele from Double Bay to Paddo.

And you're right about Salvos pricing. Much much steeper. Pay a visit to Broadway store for starters and get back to me. Absolute rip off!

2. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

If you're referring to me and PJohnson, then yes, I was there on Sat arvo?

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

4. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Got this scotch and soda "grand dad" knit cardigan in the sale - has great flecks of colour in it. Im going to iron down the first button to make the lapels curl lower as shown on my shoot below.

[​IMG]

5. quar

quar Senior member

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^quite serious. Aside from the rather severe toe spring and the thick laces I don't see much wrong in the shoes aesthetics.

7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Cheers for the suggestions on the macs. I've ordered the Jack Spade one I posted earlier. It'll be about $275 after shipping from the mail forwarder. Still looks to be some left if anyone else is interested. If I like it enough I might grab a navy one from one of the other sources mentioned ie the jack Russell one.

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I'll head up there today and confirm which one it is. I'm pretty sure it's TM Lewin though.

9. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

silly question - was any of you guys getting off train from north shore line at wynyard around 8:30 - so certain i saw a Pj Johnson soft shoulders jacket.

also i'm over winter, bring on the heat!

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

11. sochumpy

sochumpy Well-Known Member

Last week I met with a friends grandfather who was a shoemaker, he'd been making shoes since he was 13 years old back in Chile but now lives in south-west Sydney. I was a little skeptical at first but the price he quoted me was rather low so it was worth the gamble.
    I showed him a pair of brogued barkers I own and asked if he could do something similar in suade. He showed me a skin he had which i loved the colour of and measured up my feet. He grabbed a last from the shelf which closley matched the barkers and drew some outlines on it and said come back in a week. sure enough a week later this is the result:
    http://imgur.com/a/BDZBi

They fit very well and feel very well made. I don't think they were goodyear welted or anything and probably are not of high grade leather but for 150bux they are brilliant. He was telling me that he had trouble sourcing good leathers in Australia. Does anyone have any experience buying skins online from good tanning houses?

edit: I should add they are all leather lined, leather soled etc.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Very nice.

IDK about shoe leather, but in Melbourne these guys are the doyens of leather for belts, saddlery etc. Might be worth a try? Especially if he is interested in making other leather goods.

http://www.lefflerleather.com.au/leffler_contact.htm

I've actually forgotten to mention this place before, but I highly encourage anyone in the area to pop into their warehouse sometime in West Melb - it's an amazing place, hides everywhere, machinery working away, and an absolutely fantastic smell...

The people who work there aren't just shop assistants but are actually passionate about leather-working. I went there once to get a matching leather strap made from a vintage leather satchel I had bought from Schappere in Smith St. Didn't really have much hope but I thought it was worth a shot.

A woman who worked there said they didn't usually provide such services, but for $30 she would make it at home for me herself. A week later I popped back in and it was done.

If you're interested, I think you can get your own belts made there too - pick your leather and your buckle.

13. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Are you able to pass on his details, or was this a one off?

14. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

Also saw a fully dressed up older asian dude on cockatoo island on saturday. Probably the best dressed guy on the island. Wonder if it's SF alumni?

brass button navy blazer, blue shirt, pocket square, white pants with faint gray stripes, and some burgundy loafers. He even had a bloody Panama hat!

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Pretty cool for $150. They wouldn't be goodyear, see how close the edging is cut to the upper? It's impossible to cut that close with a G/year welt, but for $150 you'd just replace them anyway when they wear out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.