• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sigh...this may sound like a rant...well no, it is a rant, a big rant.

Firstly, I have Kiwi, Dubbin, Angelus, Collonil etc etc and all the rest.

No one is saying any of these products are BAD.  Each has their plus and minuses.  

Some say Kiwi polish contains too much alcohol (fast evaporation aids wax setting, which aids shine), and over a long period of time the leather MIGHT dry out.  You may counter with using more conditioner...but heck, who has the time and energy...but time spent on maintenance is time well spent and money saved...but my shoe will not live forever, and I sure won't live forever...but the therapy from shoe maintenance may prolong life...but...and so on and so forth.

Similarly, some people complain about Dubbin coloration and attracting dust, others love it, but...and so on and so forth.

And I dont know that Saphir is any more fancy schmancy than Collonil or any other brand.  New unknown stuff usually, by definition, sounds exotic.

The irritating feature of this Australian forum has been alluded to by another poster, a mean/stingy streak, and to me, even worse, a touch of condescension and the tall poppy syndrome.  Yeah, she'll be right, mate...

Why dont you people enjoy things for what they are, rather than trying to show how clever and contrarian you are?  I mean, for fecks sakes, some forum members' shoes such as G & G costs an arm and a leg.  You reckon the owner will rock over to Bunnings to grab cheap furniture polish to slather on them??  What is the point of enjoying luxury goods in the first place? Is it really about using the lowest common denominator product that won't hurt your shoes, or is it something more?

And really, who gives a flying rats arse if your Saphir are free gifts from friends, which you are so proud to be a non-user of? I am sure some members have caviar brought to them regularly by beautiful blonde hostesses, but I dont see them gloating about it on forums.  Your apparent thrift in advocating furniture polish sounds hypocritical in comparison to twelve tins of Saphir which you hardly use (and yet proud to mention on a forum).

Get over it, get a life, move on.

OK thanks for the advice.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love a good rant on here now and again, keeps things interesting :lurk:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some new girl at work celebrates her birthday today. Cake time.

L8RZ

greenoxfords11

Reaction score
Second this. I've done the same thing. They also sell Renovateur and it's branded as Leather Soul, but it's the same thing.
Just a quick note on this, I have shoe wax/ renovateur coming to Australia this year, branded but it is the same as Saphir (much like Tom does). I will let you know details later on.

g-banger

Reaction score

awesome congrats - i keep checking the DHL tracking site for my herrings :)
enjoy buddy

Winning! my herrings arrived today - bloody nice shoes. ill post some pictures when i get home.

tomee

Reaction score
Probably one of these:
most probably, as you can see them poking out on the right
ENHANCE
ENHANCE
ENHANCE
Herring order came today. have to find some time to wear them to remove the stiffness and clip clopping :satisfied:
awesome congrats - i keep checking the DHL tracking site for my herrings :) enjoy buddy
Lol not those boots. They won't be SF approved lol Also got my Mr Porter order today :)

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just a quick note on this, I have shoe wax/ renovateur coming to Australia this year, branded but it is the same as Saphir (much like Tom does). I will let you know details later on.

Let us know CK :)

Cake was a fail - who chooses pecan tart for the whole office?! :brick:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let us know CK :)
Cake was a fail - who chooses pecan tart for the whole office?! :brick:

Surely someone would have been smart enough to suggest the Choc Passionfruit brownie cake from Le Petit Gateau.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sort of.
I have used it on some brown leather work boots and I always use it on the soles of old shoes that need a drink. That or Dubbin. I warm them up with a hairdryer and also warm up the polish . On the soles it gives a good waterproofing action.
So far I can see no harm done - but I don't know how it might affect the colour of some spiffy, delicate shoes.
I have nothing against Saphir - I have about 12 tins of Saphir - free from my mate who travels to France! (cough - wink)
I don't use the Saphir hardly ever.
I don't like a highly polished look - it just seems too fussy/military to me. I don't like shoes looking too new.
I mainly use Collinol paste - it nourishes and gives a nice matte finish that I like.
Plenty of people I know use only KIWI on good shoes - it wont hurt them. You have to try really hard to hurt shoes.

that's the way to go... another great post.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not sure - but I'm pretty sure KIWI is what most military people use for spit polish

it shines without trying...

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note on this, I have shoe wax/ renovateur coming to Australia this year, branded but it is the same as Saphir (much like Tom does). I will let you know details later on.
Nice one. Rumour has it you will have other shoe accessories as well - do tell
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads