Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

^^ I'm not sure 'offering a bit less' is exactly 'extortion' :)p) but yes, we are a thrifty bunch in general I think. In fact that seems to be true of SF in general. I'm happy to admit being a bit of a penny pincher myself.

2. sliq

sliq Senior member

a penny saved is a penny made.

3. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

sorry, need some more advice...

so the loake's i was going to order are out of stock at pediwear (wouldn't get anymore in my size till the end of august) and herring shoes never replied to my emails/enquiries regarding stock.

i'm going to be in melbourne for a few days this week so i figure i would buy a cheaper dress shoe alternative in the meantime - something $300 or less. can anyone recommend some stores or brands that are available in the cbd for that price? i know of florsheim, are they worth checking out? i have very big/wide feet (US 12ish, not sure about width but it would be one of the widest widths) - the loake elland's i tried on seemed to be comfortable and i really like the look of them too, so anything similar to that design/style.

as mentioned, i need them for a wedding on the 1st of august so i really have to get them in melbourne - adelaide has literally nothing except pointy toed monstrosities which look like shit and crush my toes. adelaide david jones don't have anything at all - the pair i buy in melbourne will just be a temporary replacement until i can order the loake's so they don't have to be overly amazing.

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  4. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Are those Vass still available and what size please? I agree that the 20-30 bucks haggle is a bit ridiculous.

You probably have to bear in mind the population demographic from which the members come from. There is a lack of appreciation of value/quality for money. Australia has a long way to go in this regards.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I have considered that and have professional friends eg lawyers, opthamologists, who don't think twice about money. I was in Henry Bucks in Sydney a while back watching a member of the legal fraternity lay down $2000 for a pair of Edward Green Oxfords. Why? Connivence simple as that.

However my point is that for some people shopping at particular establishments and owning particular items is about social status and power. We are a status driven class based society and that status confers power on people. ( at least they like to think it does) For me its about the exercise of cultivated taste and a simple desire to use clothing to express my personality.

And yes when it comes to buying clothing I will be thrifty and wise with my discretionary dollars and seek to get the best deal I can.

Ps what size are the shoes.

6. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

Really? I think there are / were quite a few big shots on this thread. Like Romp, or PhatGuido etc....

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ And then you get someone like me on the other end of the scale.

8. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Paying few $$ extra for a coke form DJ’s is different than paying hundreds or at worst thousands. There are people who loves paying extra for items to show off their status. I personally love those people. Its only becos of them the big boutique stores can survive in Australia. As long as they survive I can always check the product ,check sizing and then order online. If you are one of those people I must say thank you.

9. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I found your problem.

iirc those shoes were done a while ago.

On freedom of spending certainly. Certainly some of my fathers friends would have no issue with the HB upcharge. There are plenty of things I won't haggle over either, eg. I get my saphir from the cloakroam at their inflated prices (15 a tin) purely for the convience, the shoes are merely a matter of scale. To be honest the longer I'm here the more I'm willing to cop an upcharge on the chin to do it "right".

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

Funny Whingepool thread. I don't remember getting the snob down at any shop on Collins St. Ferragamo, Zegna, Prada etc all seem normal. Seriously though most of them are just Asian uni students on some slightly higher than normal salesperson wage, however delicious those ladies may be.

11. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

However my point is that for some people shopping at particular establishments and owning particular items is about social status and power. We are a status driven class based society and that status confers power on people. ( at least they like to think it does).

Hehe, reminds me of the occasion when I observed two diners in a Chinese restaurant eating a course made from fresh live abalone, and drinking a bottle of Bin 389. The fruity red not only kills the delicate flavor of the abalone, but accentuates the fishy metallic taste. The fishy metallic taste then kills the wine.

A good friend of mine once told me: "Mr Bigshot wants to drink Grange. The taste is not important."

I am pretty sure the same metaphors applies to clothing. I just cannot think of any funny ones at this time.

12. sliq

sliq Senior member

bahaha so true. those damn honkies donning gucci/LV bags with pumped up kicks.

13. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

While we're debating power and social status, Alain de Botton's Status Anxiety makes for an engaging read.

14. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

I agree mate. 50% of this Australian thread is where to save $3 off alterations and how someone thrifted a 5th hand pal zileri waist coast for X amount.

The trawl through the mud to find the gold in this thread is becoming less and less worth it.

It's the same vibe throughout the forum though. I remember back in 07/08 etc there were cracking items for sale, awesome threads and amazing WAYWT posts. Now its vintage tweed, vintage cuff links and allen edmonds and the best WAYWT posts are the ones photoshopped to mock

15. quar

quar Senior member

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that.

I just take offense to Members here thinking that just because someone buys something in person in a bricks and mortar store in Australia, that they are attempting to show off in some perverted way. I think a more likely explanation is that the thought of saving $100-$300 isn't important enough for them to go to the effort of finding a better price online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.