Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgo

cgo Senior member

The store name is Cloak room

http://thecloakroom.com.au/

2. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

How much do the Carminas go for at the Cloakroom?

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Heaps....there was a pic floating around on tumblr from there, actually I think I re blogged it ages ago now I think about it. The sign on the shelf said $695.

4. Naka

Naka Senior member

$650-$700 for a pair of Carminas is ridiculous. They're beautiful shoes, but that is unjustifiable when the Armoury sell them for $200 less, let alone the price difference when you buy them from Carmina themselves. I used the Cloakroom for sizing and bought them online :hide:

5. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I was there earlier this week IIRC they were 650 now. Maybe they include carminia trees? That would explain the price and actually make them less of a % upcharge than (most/some) of the shipped ones from The Amoury.

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

I found modern tailor customer service quite good actually. Ordered 2 shirts in 1 order which came with wrong collars and they told me to just put in another order on their site and they'll make it free. It is much faster going through the affiliate thread with your concerns though. The main problem with them is not so much customer serviceand more their collar construction where the points always seem to fold at the edge stitching.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

7. Naka

Naka Senior member

The don't include trees last time I asked.

8. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

$695 gets you a pair of Bontoni on sale from Korshak. Hey, CW, any chance of swinging a Bontoni deal for you shop?

9. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

I guess is the sad reality of the bricks and mortar stores. I have no experience in retail but I'd imagine setting a price in the current 'Internet shopping" age is difficult. Too cheap and you don't make enough profit to keep you afloat with all the overheads, too expensive people just use them for sizing and get it cheaper online.

I certainly don't envy them. My two cents- put the price near enough to online and try and establish a better service and more customers. If the difference was only $50 odd bucks I'd be happy to go there.

10. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

The sad reality is that wholesale prices to Australia is usually higher than anywhere else. That is the main reason why we have stupid prices. Retail in Australia can be competitive if wholesale prices are uniform. Check out the prices for Japanese selvage jeans at Corlection. Pretty darn close to Rakutens prices.

11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

And where did you get that information from ?
    The retail price is high in Australia due to high rent and high labor cost. I read on news that West-field Sydney shops rent is higher than Fifth Avenue in NY. And sales assistance here in Australia gets double of what they get paid in US. So do your maths.

12. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Well actually gross profit margin percent and CODB percents are are similar for australian vs eu and us retailers give or take 1 or 2 percent. This implies two things.

One is that our wholesale price must be higher if we have the same gross margin percent but have higher sell price.

Two is that yes our rent to sales have gone up roughly 500bps over last 6 years for specialty apparel retailers but a similar codb means costs have come out of other line items such as marketing and labour etc. Our labour rates are higher per employee but im sure we have much less service and less staff per square metre of retail space.

One of our biggest added cost is shipping/frieght to australia. We are an island miles away from anywhere. Then GST and customs adds 15-17%. And then only 22million people makes volumes pretty piss weak vs the likes of walmart.

Not making excuses, just clarifying the maths.

13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Thank you Romp for your post. To the aggressive poster who queried my Maths,, my advice is simply that the plural of anecdote is not data. Do your own Maths with reference simply to public listed retailer financial statements and the wholesaler pricing disparity will be plain as a pike staff. I will ask that you accord some respect in future posting. There is no utility in being rude.

14. PooJou

PooJou Well-Known Member

Guys the true reason for high costs of specific things like shoes are as follows.

1. They charge because they can:

The clientelle of these places normally don't care TOO much about "how much you can get them online" - they walk in and walk out with a pair of shoes. Simple.

2. They charge because of the current trend in wanting luxury service:

Notice that even new fancy stores ala. the cloakroom are charging 'silly' prices, that are far and above what you'd pay for online. Notice also their absolutely opulent fitouts and fancy store staff. They are not (mostly) aiming at people who know that Carmina are cheaper online. They are aiming for those who want to feel like they've got the dough to buy these things without feeling like a penny pincher.

Ironically - more and more Gen Y's/Gen X's are falling into this category

With regard to other items that are 'far more expensive' - it's mostly BECAUSE THEY CAN. There are enough people who buy them locally to make them not care about the 5% who will buy it online.

And don't tell me that everyone buys online - if that were the case, all the stores would be empty.

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Bontoni isn't my cup of tea I'm afraid. I have considered shoes and spoken with Betty from Carmina on the subject quite a bit but the reality is this is a couple of years away and my priority is to add more clothing first. Expanding the shirts more first then possibly trousers, jackets and suits are before shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.