Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

That'll work, but it would be nice to have the wiki architecture up and running fairly quickly so that people can grow and edit the entries as they please.

Having said that, I have no idea whether the software would be free or not, and what the hosting requirements would be.

Hosting is generally cheap as chips though, and I'm sure people would be willing to donate a couple of bucks towards it...

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_wiki_software

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

So something like this?

City: Melbourne

Store: Rekaris Shoes and Repairs

(Soon to move to 290 Russell Street)

Offerings: Expert repair of men’s and ladies footwear.
    Repair of leather travel goods, including handles, locks and linings.

Brands: Small range of shoes for purchase, but mostly shoe repairs etc.

Comments: Family owned shoe repair business in Melbourne CBD. Knowledgeable and efficient service.

3. fox81

fox81 Senior member

The offerings/brands/comments should all be rolled into one comments field.
    I also suggest having a category field, in this case 'shoe repairs'. That way when some kid asks about shoe repairs in melbourne, he knows where to look.

Also, there was a jantzen wiki a while ago. i imagine you can host a wiki for free pretty easily.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I think it would be helpful to include indicative pricing and turnaround times. With alterations, for example, this can vary from 1-5 days between comparable tailors.

Can we include a Google map in the entries?

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Also, an additional thought. As well as business-specific entries, it might be handy to have answers to where-can-I-buy questions such as who in Melbourne stocks Loakes, at what prices etc.

6. fox81

fox81 Senior member

7. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Thats what 'offerings' are - retail, hairdresser, shoe repairs etc

8. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

does anyone know how long herring take to reply? emailed them 3 days ago and still nothing - i want to make sure they have them in stock before i order. pediwear replied straight away, but they are not getting elland's in my size until september which is too late for when i need them.

also, thanks to whoever posted the shoe tree code.

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Can I say I told you so?

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

On the night of Fat Tony Mokbel's sentencing, as we reminisced, someone asked about IVY and swelled edges

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stealth dressing.
    Smart not stiff, relaxed not sloppy, soft not weak, interesting not gimmicky, dressed up not formal, male not macho, different but subtle, tie or no tie, casual not careless.

11. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

So did you guys rock on afterwards?

12. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Can anyone tell me what the style/material of the grey jacket (bottom right) is? I am trying to replace a similar jacket that i left in a night club and I am having next to no luck finding anything like it.

I found one from Brent Wilson but they were out of my size...

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Sharpies

Blackburn South Sharps
    http://issuu.com/hpdesign/docs/sharpies
    http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dimensions_in_time/Transcripts/s508106.htm

A bit about the clothes from my perspective:

The cardigans tend to be held onto by old blokes still "livin tha dream" I've never seen repros.

Some were very tasty in the early days prior to the slide into shrunken washed look flavoured by yobs.

I used to have way back, a very nice maroon long sleeved cresknit polo witha broad stripe across the front chest. Some of this side of sharpies made its way to adults in the suburbs. Still a good look if you ask me.

Flags were wide straight legged high waisted pants worn by original sharpies. What made them different was that in the early days you could only get them by going to a tailor and getting a pair made. Later on there were small shops that sold some ready to wear and many of the tailors saw an opening and had a bunch of ready to wear in their shops.
    Toward the end a few small chains and menswear shops stocked a variation of flags. Trouble was they weren't as well made, had inferior materials and lacked the spiffy details like back buckles belts and pocket flaps etc that real clothes nerds appreciate. The fashion soon died out as people grew up and moved on and especially as it was devalued by the violence of the younger yobs in jeans coming through and their ignorance about clothes.

As you can imagine many of those truly interested in clothes to go to tailors and spec up a pair of pants, plus go to a shoemaker and order their own design shoes, plus go to the cresknit factory and get a one off cardigan , are likely to carry on to suits and other stuff and not remain stuck in a youth culture forever.

What also made than different was they were always made out of heavy good quality suiting material. Im pretty sure it would be from standard tailors books at the time Holland and Sherry etc.

The most common and classic was a mid or charcoal grey witha chalk stripe. They were fitted around the bum, hips and waist and high waisted. They were straight down in that French manner. I can't find any reference but I'd guess the bottom cuff opening was 12 inches or even more. They flapped around as you walked hence "flags"

They were always cuff less and would have a slight break.

Worn with custom made square toed shoes from Venus or some other blokes. Shoes most often, but not always, had a platform sole. Nearly always the shoes had a high ish heel.

I was never a sharpie but I did have a pair of dark grey chalk striped flags made. Not too high waisted and not too wide. You can imagine it looks good with a dark maroon long sleeved polo with one broad chest stripe plus custom made shoes witha heel. Dressy and smarter than most people but with a fashion edge.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]Custom Cardigans - from Conte Bros Thornbury or Cresknit Preston - late 60s early 70s

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.