• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody cares about your RLPL shoes nor your mother’s “thin” wardrobe. All we care about is this: would you save your father from the belly of a ??
I wouldn’t. Let him be digested, slowly.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

RKLan

Reaction score
Popping in again for an update:
- Work is relocating me to Melb Q1 next year (took up a new internal role, they are throwing in couple k for move).
- Wife is currently looking for school job at present so living location will be negotiated btw what is on offer for her and my access to conservative business dress.
- Is north a reasonable area for renting, access and other trade offs (Brunswick, Coburg, Heidelberg)? I know everyone loves east but looking for a 3 bed, 2 living spaces, non microscopic garage etc (budget $700ish?) and probably gives us more flexibility for her moving forward if school contract doesn't work out. That and airport run is probably easier as well (frequent Sydney visits likely).
- Might finally be able go for a drink and have ye olde timers "inform" me of politics or other personal rants that are close to their heart.

Happy to take tips or suggestions.

Edit: I am told a black puffer jacket from Kathmandu will be a requirement.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering using upholstery ivory tussah raw silk fabric for a dinner jacket. 370 g/m2...thoughts

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That's pretty heavy for a dinner jacket, I'd suspect.

On the other hand, upholstery fabric is usually considerably cheaper than suiting cloth so you'll quite possibly save a fair bit on the fabric costs!

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering using upholstery ivory tussah raw silk fabric for a dinner jacket. 370 g/m2...thoughts
Sheesh! A dinner jacket, by it’s nature, is to be the epitome of comfort?- you are stuck with it all night (ie, impolite to remove it). 240-260gsm is the apex of comfort IMO.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dah drape though...
Sheesh! A dinner jacket, by it’s nature, is to be the epitome of comfort?- you are stuck with it all night (ie, impolite to remove it). 240-260gsm is the apex of comfort IMO.
[/y

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That's pretty heavy for a dinner jacket, I'd suspect.

On the other hand, upholstery fabric is usually considerably cheaper than suiting cloth so you'll quite possibly save a fair bit on the fabric costs!
It’s the durability that I’m concerned with though I would assume upholstery fabric should be bulletproof. I’m also considering a cream silk matka. I’m planning on have a Casablanca styled jacket made.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One is left wondering about your peer group. I see kelpies, sheep and prized bulls past their prime (and the occasional race horse).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads