• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get most of my shirts from luxire these days. Free shipping and cheaper than most mtm offerings here. Would recommend getting a trial shirt made first but once the fit is nailed they have some decent offerings

ryanohare

Reaction score
I get most of my shirts from luxire these days. Free shipping and cheaper than most mtm offerings here. Would recommend getting a trial shirt made first but once the fit is nailed they have some decent offerings

Better than Kamakura?

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Spot on, Suit Shop not supply, sorry about that.

You mean Suit Shop (not Supply). But good to know. Spier just launched online MTO. About 1300 aud for a name cloth, 6ish week turnaround (but obviously no measuring or fittings).

Reniliaz

Reaction score
Hey fellas, new member, first message. Based in Melbourne. Hope you're all well.

Finally secured work after graduation, and I'm looking to buy an MTM suit.

I understand this is a bit of a repetitive question (I've checked out many threads on multiple forums on this topic), but it's a big purchase for me and I want to make sure it's right.

Is there a consensus on the best option(s) for an MTM suit/OTR suit with alterations, around the $1000 mark? I just read a reccommendation of SuitSupply in the previous pages but they have no stores in Melbourne.

I have seen frequent mentions of Oscar Hunt and Suit Supply; are these my best options are this price point? Are there any superior or similar options?

Cheers. Help is deeply appreciated.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Reniliaz.

If you want to explore MTM at that price point you have Oscar Hunt and SuitShop in Melbourne.

While Suitsupply doesn't have a store in Melbourne, they do have free returns so you don't lose anything by just ordering suits in different sizes to find your fit and then sending back what you don't want. This is the good middle ground imo which will also leave you with room for extra's like a decent of shoes or more trousers etc.

If your business wardrobe is just starting you might want to consider MJ Bale, when on special or at the outlet you could buy multiple suits and get them altered for the cost of one MTM. The cheaper price point will give you room to add variety to your wardrobe which can be better than just having one piece, sometimes.

All depends on your needs but hopefully the above helps.

Reniliaz

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Reniliaz.

If you want to explore MTM at that price point you have Oscar Hunt and SuitShop in Melbourne.

Thank you for the welcome Osiris.

Thank you also for your suggestions. I currently only have one suit, in navy. A bit more variety would definitely be great as you suggested. I quite like the suit, but it's from Godwin Charli which has shut down, so no going back to the only shop I have experience with haha. They had really fantastic customer service too, incredible shame.

Wasn't aware about SuitSupply having free returns, that sounds amazing (and incredibly abusable). Definitely checking that out. Cheers.

chowchow19030

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or used Sartorial Bay Tailors. Reviews on Google seems good. And any perceptible differences in his hand made vs machine made range?

ryanohare

Reaction score
Hey fellas, new member, first message. Based in Melbourne. Hope you're all well.

Finally secured work after graduation, and I'm looking to buy an MTM suit.

I understand this is a bit of a repetitive question (I've checked out many threads on multiple forums on this topic), but it's a big purchase for me and I want to make sure it's right.

Is there a consensus on the best option(s) for an MTM suit/OTR suit with alterations, around the $1000 mark? I just read a reccommendation of SuitSupply in the previous pages but they have no stores in Melbourne.

I have seen frequent mentions of Oscar Hunt and Suit Supply; are these my best options are this price point? Are there any superior or similar options?

Cheers. Help is deeply appreciated.

If this is your first work suit and you've got a grand to spend, then do as Osiris says and get yourself two suits shipped down from SuitSupply in Sydney (a plain navy and a regulation charcoal) or go into MJ Bale (for $1K you could get three suits at that price from the outlet). When you're happy with the fit, then take them into Sam's alterations (in the city, we'll give you the address) and he'll tweak them to suit you perfectly.

You'll get 2 or 3 suits fitted as well as anything from OH or SuitShop for the same price.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1 to @ryanohare's post.

When you are starting out and need some relatively inexpensive suits for work, it makes far, far more sense to find something that fits reasonably well off-the-rack and then have them altered.

Reniliaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

How much would getting alterations at Sam's run me? Think I might need 2 suits in addition to the one I currently have to get me through a work week. One navy, one charcoal, one grey.

Getting something straight off the rack and having it fit well without alterations would of course be ideal, but I've struggled to find suits that fit my body type, which is why I have been contemplating going MTM. I've already been to MJ Bale a few times to try on suits as suggested, but they end up loose and baggy on me.

I have wide shoulders, a skinny waist, and wide thighs. If I find a suit that fits my shoulders, the waist is often far too big. If I find pants that fit my thighs, I need a significant taper, and the pants are often too long. Bit annoying for sure.

Cheers

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have wide shoulders, a skinny waist, and wide thighs. If I find a suit that fits my shoulders, the waist is often far too big. If I find pants that fit my thighs, I need a significant taper, and the pants are often too long. Bit annoying for sure.

Cheers

Are you a reporter at The Daily Planet, by any chance?

Attachments

• superman.jpg
    superman.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 42

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads