• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve slowed down significantly in terms of getting bespoke suits, shirts, watches, accessories and buying nice shoes. I think the mindset of enjoying what you already have, goes a long, long way. Having material things is nice but it’s not totally fulfilling. What does give me a kick nowadays is finding things at op shops.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve slowed down significantly in terms of getting bespoke suits, shirts, watches, accessories and buying nice shoes. I think the mindset of enjoying what you already have, goes a long, long way. Having material things is nice but it’s not totally fulfilling. What does give me a kick nowadays is finding things at op shops.

This post makes me happy.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This post makes me happy.

Thanks mate. It came to me, after I dropped a bit of money on a Rolex I really wanted for years... When I had it in my hands, something I wanted for so long and that I coveted, just didn’t complete me. That was the realisation then and there. I was a few thousand dollars lighter, with an item that was supposed to bring me joy but in reality it felt more like a burden. It’s borderline spiritual. But I’m content. I sold the watch and made a little profit on it that brought back the happiness. There is an end to mindless consumption.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sliq very interesting and observant post.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is an end to mindless consumption.

Great to hear! ?

To echo @The Ernesto, that makes me happy.

I've been spending less and less time looking at, and posting on, Styleforum over the past couple of years because the emphasis on consumption, and the posts from people showing off their latest "kops", has pushed me away as I find it depressing.

I'm sure that there are some very wealthy SF members, but I'm also sure that there are a lot of people of average means, too, and it's disheartening to see them spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on shoes and watches, and then more shoes and more watches.

I remember reading about a study into a "cyclical hedonistic approach to consumption" or similar, some years ago. Essentially, people purchase material things because by doing so, we tend to get a brief high. However, that high soon disappears, and so we go on and purchase more things in an attempt to recapture that high, in an increasing spiral of ultimately unfulfilling consumption. It's great to break the cycle and to instead simply enjoy life for what it is, rather than what you buy.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Journeyman interesting. Materialism however IMMO is more than a brief fix and high. It’s the way capitalism functions it’s an endless drive that confers status and power upon the owner by their ability to consume which results in social prestige based upon their objective existence.

I’ve always believed it’s Style,the j'en sais quoi which transcends money and mere objects.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or to apply the Marie kondo philosophy...does it bring you joy?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can earnestly say, that in the past 18 months I’ve found my little patch of zen by finding joy in the simple pleasures, and not complain when the going gets tough.

I very rarely share things about my personal life (I’m fiercely private). But can I say, the last 2 months have been the most rewarding. After living alone, single, self employed with a great job and high satisfaction, I decided to do a solid for this boy:

Rupert is a 2yo (going onto 6 months) Irish wolfhound x whom I adopted from my local RSPCA. He had a tough life, being neglected by his previous owner. The first month or so when I brought him home, he would never smile, but he’s really opened up. I guess you can say he’s my most favourite thrift find. Here he is, taking a break from a good morning run.

Today was also kind of a big deal. Besides having a great day at work (killed it at court), I also won this little fixer upper project at auction:

08783F22-4D50-4558-9016-60D4C53F196B.jpeg
She’s 3 minutes walk from Newtown station. Came with a free Magnolia tree. I poured myself a little glass of Yamazaki 18 to celebrate (bought it many moons ago when they were still ‘affordable). It’ll put me under some financial pressure for the next few years, but I’m already thinking ahead of how I’d like to retire, and where I’d like to raise a young family. My old man is handy so he’ll be helping me paint, patch up the walls, fix bits and bobs here and there until it makes enough equity to recycle the money into doing a remodel/renovation. It’s also good bonding time with dad. I don’t visit home often as much as I should so this is a good opportunity. When I eventually sell the place once it’s in ship shape order, a part of our blood, sweat and tears will be imparted on the place, and I guess I can say, that’s the imprint we’ll leave.

Edit: forgot to mention, the kicker is, it settles 2 days before my birthday.

So there you have it.

ovlov

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Long time no etc. It looks like this thread has taken a bit of a turn lately. The recent posts are both encouraging, but also make me feel a little guilty over my own purchases this year. I had a pretty impactful life change this year and now need to do some major restructuring or replacement of my wardrobe having dropped about 20-25kg due to illness.

Are any South Aussies here able to recommend a good, reliable and hopefully affordable place to see if I can get my suits altered to my new, somewhat less hefty size?

If that doesn't work out I may need to bite the bullet and start rebuilding from scratch. In which case I noticed that Oscar Hunt now has a showroom in Adelaide. I recall a few years ago reading a few people comparing them well to P Johnsons. Does anyone still use them? Their pricing seems reasonably competitive and it would me nice to use someone with some clout that actually has a presence locally.

Finally, I need to pick up some new casuals as well. I'd like to pick up some linen casual pants or chinos but I can't for the life of me find anywhere here or online that stocks them atm. Anyone have any suggestions?

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope you are well, ovlov.

I think OH are good for the price point. I wouldn't compare them to PJ, more Suit Shop (or should I say 'Suit Shop by P Johnson' as they now refer to themselves). Brooks Brothers does cotton/linen pants but they might be a bit formal looking.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ovlov hope your well and aside from the wardrobe malfunction the weight loss I hope turns into a blessing. i’ve lost five kg since January and while I made it through winter, summer is another wardrobe issue to confront. I’m going to Oscar Hunt in Sydney in a couple of weeks to get a jacket sufficiently taken in (I hope)

For chinos try the slim fit Uniqlo their high rise and have sufficient room in the thighs, better still there on special till 4/9. Their linen shirts are good value for money as well.

ovlov

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
I'm mostly well now but have been saddled with diabetes as a result of losing most of my pancreas, which has called for a pretty drastic change in lifestyle. (no more Xerrex for me, or any other beer for that matter; craft or otherwise). No Uniqlo in Adelaide unfortunately, but I'll be in Sydney in a few weeks so i'll check them out then. I'll have a look at Brook Brothers too, but I was kind of hoping for pure linen rather than a blend.

mercury

Reaction score
Just booked an impromptu trip to Melbourne for 3 days.

Haven't been in around ten years. Any must-see / must eat places?

So far I am planning to go to Lune (if only to sate my curiosity as to why the hell anyone would line up for a croissant).

Not planning to do any shopping, but might swing by DoubleMonk (if they stock anything the Sydney store doesn't e.g. Saint Crispins), and Christian Kimber just to take a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads