• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'd like to purchase a pea coat in the winter sales, and found this MJ Bale one on sale for tree fiddy:

I quite like this one, and think the fit is reasonable (it's a 38, I'm really more of a 37, but don't mind a little extra room for a coat). It's not as dark a 'navy' as the traditional pea coat, mind.

Questions! Do you know of any other good locally-available options? (I need to try on, I have weirdly long monkey arms.) What do you think of the fit?

Thanks guise

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    299.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190821_130338.jpg
    IMG_20190821_130338.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 33

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ryanohare

Reaction score
Is there a better value for money product than Uniqlo? I honestly couldn't think of one. The amount of beater-shirts I've bought from them over the year for ~$30-50 expecting very little, and yet they've held their shape brilliantly despite more whitewashes than an Australia top order.

discomute

Reaction score
*Sigh*, you're right of course. Being awkwardly between sizes is so ******* annoying...

I'd like to see the smaller size on you

As per the conversation I started around thighs. Went to TM Lewin and it appears the specific pants I ordered were a smidge smaller than standard. I'd already ordered a slim jacket and regular pants. Arrived yesterday and it's perfect. Maybe a tiny tiny bit big in the seat, but I'll be sitting and typing for 8 hours, so priority is having it comfortable to do that. I'll probably take photos eventually but it's getting hemmed.

Anyway just thought I'd say slim jackets and regular pants from TML is something to consider for those with thick thighs or a proportionately small waist.

sensuki

Reaction score
Is there a better value for money product than Uniqlo? I honestly couldn't think of one. The amount of beater-shirts I've bought from them over the year for ~$30-50 expecting very little, and yet they've held their shape brilliantly despite more whitewashes than an Australia top order.

I've tried on quite a few things from uniqlo and the only things that fit me properly were the supima tshirts and the socks. The fit was awful on everything else (175cm/~78kgs)

conqueror

Reaction score
i was introduced to uniqlo on my first trip to japan in 2008. loved it so much that i started proxying stuff over the year after. quality has dipped slightly over the years, but i'm still a very regular customer over a decade later.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok cricket is not and never will be my religion. But i am enjoying over a dark rum or three, the way the Australian bowlers are currently carving up the English batsmen.

DevilsOwn

Reaction score
Kind of off the topic this thread is currently on but it broke my heart when Peter Jackson ended their range of DBs. My only issue with that brand is that the shortness of their jackets, which can at least be worked around, and their less than ideal black tie range which is commonplace anyway. They are to a large extent lets make MJ Bale but more patterns and peak lapels and my go to for ready to wear.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of off the topic this thread is currently on but it broke my heart when Peter Jackson ended their range of DBs. My only issue with that brand is that the shortness of their jackets, which can at least be worked around, and their less than ideal black tie range which is commonplace anyway. They are to a large extent lets make MJ Bale but more patterns and peak lapels and my go to for ready to wear.
I think off the rack double breasteds the hardest to pull off to accommodate the general population as it’s hard to design a pattern to address the fit and the length issues which is easier to achieve wth a single breasted pattern. Also not many ppl like dbs/or have the confidence to pull them off

DevilsOwn

Reaction score
That's quite true. Especially since for men with larger waists they don't have the "just don't button it" option. And you can still get them from PJ's made to measure but it would be nice to know in advance in particular about lapel shapes which tend to vary a lot with peak and especially db lapels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads