• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys got a question, I hate ironing proper cotton shirts, even 'easy care' or whatever they are called just kill me. Use loads of ironing spray and I can do it but it takes 30 minutes to get it looking good.

Thoughts on either TM Lewin easy-iron or a different brands shirts that I should try?

All shirts will wrinkle and crumple as you wear them throughout the day. Some will do so more than others, but it largely depends upon the fabric.

I never use ironing spray. Instead, I always iron with full steam turned on, and I spray the shirts lightly with water before I iron, so the fabric is slightly damp, too.

Some fabrics are easier and faster to iron than others. Pinpoint oxford tends to be quick and easy and takes to the iron well. Oxford cloth can be a bit of a pain when it's new but once it's been washed and ironed 10-20 times and has softened up a bit, it usually irons quickly and easily, too. Poplin (which is thinner, finer, smooth cloth) can be a bit hit and miss. I can iron some of my poplin shirts very quickly and easily, but others can be quite time-consuming as the fabric tends to retain "micro-wrinkles" that take time and steam from the iron to smooth out. Of course, it depends upon just how fussy you are, too.

I know that some people don't like "non-iron" shirts, because the fabric has been treated with chemicals to make it more resistant to wrinkling and faster and easier to iron. However, I know that Brooks Brothers' shirts (oxford, pinpoint oxford and poplin) in non-iron all seem to be quick and easy to iron, so you may want to see what BB have in stock. I think that Brooks Brothers has a winter clearance sale on at present, too.

I hope that helps.

spreadsheet

Reaction score
Thoughts on either TM Lewin easy-iron or a different brands shirts that I should try?

I've accidently bought the TM Lewin easy iron without realising. I ended up with poplin and an oxford. The fabric seems a bit stiffer than an untreated shirt and to my eye they seem to have a sheen to them on closer inspection. Personally I wouldn't go back and get another. From an ironing perspective they might be moderately easier to iron than an untreated shirt (although this also comes down to individual fabric as I have untreated shirts that iron reasonably well). The poplin was still somewhat of a pest to iron as I've found with many poplins. The Herringbone of old used some nice fabrics that were great on the ironing board, although as they approached their demise the quality of their product went down the toilet and wasn't worth the hanger they put it on.

boot_owl

Reaction score
First suitsupply mtm commission: Ariston navy tweed blazer. 3r2 with unpadded shoulders and patch pockets. It’s nice to be able to actually try their block in store so I know if the fit will work, and $920 isn’t bad for full canvas mtm

FC866697-C771-4B1E-8A2C-469F6071E7DE.jpeg
AB738540-6D9C-4103-BE7E-B3E87F698F78.jpeg
6D90F4D2-1563-4683-BE74-73839F3EF9C0.jpeg
D69D8676-F5CB-4DD8-B236-9FE1E5E33C5D.jpeg

discomute

Reaction score
Hard to tell from just the photos, but are they a smidge wide in the shoulders? Might be wrong, just that first photo.

I have personally found MTM pants horrible and jackets easy. But overall you must be pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

boot_owl

Reaction score
Hard to tell from just the photos, but are they a smidge wide in the shoulders? Might be wrong, just that first photo.

I have personally found MTM pants horrible and jackets easy. But overall you must be pretty happy with it.

Nah, shoulders are about right - I have forward shoulders which creates a divot, so none of the MTM I've tried (admittedly not that many) can really adjust the armhole to match. I don't love it, but it's life at the moment.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really feeling it. I think the lower back could be cleaned up with the seat let out a bit; front balance adjusted (if not corrected after first fitting, it’ll never be corrected) as the front left of the jacket has a crease in it when buttoned. And yes, the divot in the shoulder. Many of these problems are quite common in mtm and entry level bespoke unless you have someone very experienced in fitting.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Not really feeling it. I think the lower back could be cleaned up with the seat let out a bit; front balance adjusted (if not corrected after first fitting, it’ll never be corrected) as the front left of the jacket has a crease in it when buttoned. And yes, the divot in the shoulder. Many of these problems are quite common in mtm and entry level bespoke unless you have someone very experienced in fitting.

Front crease seems to have subsided today; I believe my shirt must’ve come untucked when I was taking the photos.

I agree with the comment about the lower back and may see if letting it out a bit helps. Regarding balance, I don’t have a good enough eye for that so may leave it as is.

Ultimately I’d still consider suitsupply for entry level MTM, maybe more akin to an expanded version of their custom made. Still turned out better than my two suit shop commissions IMO

RGLZ

Reaction score
Hey guys got a question, I hate ironing proper cotton shirts, even 'easy care' or whatever they are called just kill me. Use loads of ironing spray and I can do it but it takes 30 minutes to get it looking good.

Went with TM Lewin 'non-iron' and they need to be ironed but it's a quick easy process, and importantly, they actually stay ironed throughout the day.

My issue is that they seem to never have any decent range in my 16.5-superfitted category. I was thinking of trying the 'easy-iron' but was worried it might be crap like most companies versions.

Can't tell if you're taking the piss or not (with all your posts)...

RGLZ

Reaction score
Anyone own any Bryceland Denim? Curious as to how they fit and what you think of them in comparison to other Japanese denim eg Sugar Cane.
I would stick to a core denim brand - Orslow, Studio D'Artisan or Full Count are my picks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads