• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good dry cleaner in Melbourne conservative business dress? Got some oil stains on my new TFC Trousers on the second wear :(

Dabbed with a baby wipe when I got home, but still visible somewhat

Bancrofts on Toorak Rd, really the only worthwhile option unless you live a long way south in which case there’s a decent joint in Bentleigh.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canberrans TFC is coming to town on the 10/11 April

Epicure

Reaction score
It's interesting. Less than a decade ago, I was often told that I should size up when shopping for a suit so as to give me "room to move" (as though I needed the ability to swing a pickaxe while wearing a suit), and I was also told that my sleeves should come down to the base of my thumb (yes, as horrifying as it sounds, I was told that more than once).

It seems that not that long afterwards, trends changed considerably and suddenly men were wearing bum-freezer jackets with narrow lapels (sometimes with multiple lapel buttonholes) and skinny trousers that stopped well above the ankle bone.

Hopefully, we will reach a happy medium at some stage.
Yeah, much more middle ground in the Australian RTW space would be a very welcome relief.

Heldan

Reaction score
Hi guys, I like a pant in this Sydney's shop "Big Trouble store"
is there sales soon or later ?

Last edited:

ShinyMew

Reaction score
Don't forget Bell & Barnett and Peter Jackson, who have MTM operations, also.

Speaking of which, does anyone here know much about B&B's MTM service? I know it's highly customisable and seems to offer great value, but I'm not sure where the quality of the material and tailoring sits (presumably somewhere around MJB/Institchu).

Bespoke
Bijan Design
J.H. Cutler
G.A. Zink & Sons (also MTM)
Herman Bros & Co
Zimma Tailers (also MTM)
Luxius (made in South Korea, also does MTM)
The Finery Company (own label, made in Korea. Don’t think he reps for B&Tailor any more)
Zing Chen (The Finery Company, also has a MTM range)
WW Chan (Trunk show out of HK)
Instyle Bespoke Tailors (Trunk show out of Thailand)
Rocheforte
Wil Valor

Independent MTM
Calder Sartoria (Trunk show out of Melb)
Remy
Mr A Taylor
Leng Bespoke
Kazuna
Sartorial Bay
Tailor & Co
Mister Mister
Joe Button
Harrolds Private Label
M.J. Bale
Henry Bucks
Joe Button
Germanicos
Belance
Brent Wilson
The Bespoke Corner
Made By Leon
Oscar Hunt
P Johnson / Suit Shop
Montagio

International MTM
Ermenegildo Zegna
Canali
Brooks Brothers
Armani
Tom James Company
InStitchu
Suitsupply
Crane Brothers
Hugo Boss
Tom Ford
Brioni (Harrolds)
Stefano Ricci (Harrolds)
Pal Zileri (Harrolds)
Caruso (Harrolds)
Lardini (Harrolds)

ShinyMew

Reaction score
Bancrofts on Toorak Rd, really the only worthwhile option unless you live a long way south in which case there’s a decent joint in Bentleigh.

I once got away with removing an oil stain via brushing a liberal amount of bicarb soda into the stain, letting it sit overnight and then vacuuming it off the next day. May take a couple of applications.

ShinyMew

Reaction score
MJ Bale is 10 years old. Matt has done a great job creating a sustainable business at a time when so many others have gone under or turned to trash.
Anecdotal reports suggest that MJB quality has gone quite downhill the past year or two.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anecdotal reports suggest that MJB quality has gone quite downhill the past year or two.

It's nothing like what it was when it started, but it's still around and better for a lot of men than some of the alternatives. Plus when they started there was no Suit Shop or Oscar Hunt or Suit Supply, so that has probably changed their approach maybe?

I have heard that Matt is planning a new line where he sources local wool that then gets woven in Italy and then made into suits (in China I assume), so he's at least staying a bit connected to his wool grower roots.

Heldan

Reaction score
Lol I'm not gonna ask for Sales, they hate that anyway. Wondering how does it work here coz in Europe there is always a way to get a "do want" for a cheaper price ^^

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads