• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nowhere. As @fxh will confirm, guys like us are far too old and crochety to wear sneakers.
Partially true - however occasionally I like to get down wid da yoot ina babylon
2-jpg.31183

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the information I received from Trimly, they certainly will be.

I recently bought a pair of ebay trees. They were not cedar and the left heel was totally misshapen. I got a full refund.

I bought three on sale and they are excellent even down to the packaging.

agree that this has been historically the case, but not sure if true anymore. have bought >5 pairs CPs on sale at End, TBS etc over the years at ~$300AUD, but it now seems that the OG models (eg achilles low) are now more difficult to come by as they've grown in popularity - usually the seasonal ones that i see on sale.

must say that while CP are undeniably, IMO, the best standard mens sneaker, i haven't been able to bring myself to reup since they arrived at incu a couple of years ago - and now DJs!!!

Buttero are also pretty nice. Don't need to put in an arch support like I do with the Rodd & Gunn Portuguese jobs as it is already fitted.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Now that it's been a while since TFC started up their Zing Chen bespoke and mtm lines, have we got anyone here who has some first hand experience to report? Lined up an appointment for the end of the month, but still a little nervous since, although everything I have read about TFC online has been pretty positive, there really isn't very much out there besides their own Instagram account.

Next holes to fill in my wardrobe are a SB dark brown Linen suit and a DB navy pin or chalk stripe. not sure which one to go with first. But still a few weeks to decide.

I've got about half a dozen commissions through TFC - across their various offerings, including Zing Chen. PM me if you have any queries.

I've also got the shoes listed on that facebook group if you guys are there. If you'd like links, or for them to be posted here, let me know.

Epicure

Reaction score
Morning all. Would anyone be able to give some advice about acquiring a quality silk scarf? I've previously posted on the "Ask a Question, Get an Answer..." thread without any bites so far. Where might be the best place to ask about scarves? I've found some dedicated threads, but they're all seemingly dead.

Epicure

Reaction score
@mercury, thank you. I should have reposted my criteria to give some context (it's now included in the spoiler below). I'm a regular customer of all things Vanda, but on this occasion they don't quite have what I'm looking for. Perhaps I should reach out to Gerald and Diana to see if they can help, anyway. Or for that matter, maybe Sam Hober. It might otherwise be hard to find exactly what I'm after.
Would anyone with personal experience have some leads on acquiring a quality silk scarf that wears comfortably against the skin?

My other more specific requirements are:
- ideally, an asking price of no more than $250
- online vendor
- printed paisley with the colourway predominantly brown, accented with cream/ecru; other colours in the mix are permissible as long as they're included in a minor way, and are relatively muted among the browns
- preferably, the ends are not tasseled as I want to wear the scarf mainly tucked inside the front of my shirts (I concede these could be cut off if they were a bother to feel against the skin)

Thanks in advance.

ovlov

Reaction score
@mercury, thank you. I should have reposted my criteria to give some context (it's now included in the spoiler below). I'm a regular customer of all things Vanda, but on this occasion they don't quite have what I'm looking for. Perhaps I should reach out to Gerald and Diana to see if they can help, anyway. Or for that matter, maybe Sam Hober. It might otherwise be hard to find exactly what I'm after.
Would anyone with personal experience have some leads on acquiring a quality silk scarf that wears comfortably against the skin?

My other more specific requirements are:
- ideally, an asking price of no more than $250
- online vendor
- printed paisley with the colourway predominantly brown, accented with cream/ecru; other colours in the mix are permissible as long as they're included in a minor way, and are relatively muted among the browns
- preferably, the ends are not tasseled as I want to wear the scarf mainly tucked inside the front of my shirts (I concede these could be cut off if they were a bother to feel against the skin)

Thanks in advance.

If you are a fan of Vanda i suggest you reach out to Gerald. Im pretty sure they will make any tie design into a scarf on request if they have the material. They also seem to have a few bits and pieces lying around that don't make it onto the website .

Epicure

Reaction score
If you are a fan of Vanda i suggest you reach out to Gerald. Im pretty sure they will make any tie design into a scarf on request if they have the material. They also seem to have a few bits and pieces lying around that don't make it onto the website .
Probably one of my best shots. I can see they don't currently have anything that meets my specs, but they might be able to come up with the goods. Wish me luck.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mercury You have just solved my delima as to what to get Mrs GF for her birthday. Might take a bit of time but I think I can buy her off with a good bottle of Pinot Noir in the interim. Thanks.

Epicure

Reaction score
@mercury You have just solved my delima as to what to get Mrs GF for her birthday. Might take a bit of time but I think I can buy her off with a good bottle of Pinot Noir in the interim. Thanks.
Yeah, a silk scarf in a new design seems to be one of those gifts that is always received well by the ladies in my life. None of them have ever showed anything but delight each time they get a new one. Lucky Mrs GF to be in store for a new Vanda!

ovlov

Reaction score
Probably one of my best shots. I can see they don't currently have anything that meets my specs, but they might be able to come up with the goods. Wish me luck.

Also might be a good idea to scour the buy/sell forum if you have time. Scarves are the kinds of things that people buy too many of on impulse then realise 6 months later it'll never get any use.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Epicure the issue is do you trust your own understanding of their tastes and select one or let them pick one?

First world problems.

Epicure

Reaction score
@Epicure the issue is do you trust your own understanding of their tastes and select one or let them pick one?

First world problems.
I feel it's always best to surprise them. If you feel unsure about your choice, you can usually get a better idea about whether they'll like something by determining preferences for unrelated or partly related items without raising too much suspicion. If you trust your gut, and her initial reaction is less than enthusiastic, she'll come to realise you made the right choice if she's open minded to trying new or unexpected things. But, you, as the buyer, must be convicted of the choice wholly, otherwise she'll let her own doubts dissuade her. I assume your own taste is nothing short of sound, so let that guide you. She'll follow your lead if you display confidence.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably going to need to grab 2-3 suits soon for work (haven't ever worn suits for work), what's the go on entry level suits for work? MJ Bale? Suit Supply?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads