• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article 26

Reaction score
Finally found time to run the length of Collins St and Flinders lane and was very surprised to see Berulti are opening in Melbourne - who knew there was a demand. Got to Masons, great store, found the back-room (;)) to be a great little space full of treasure and scored myself an invitation to the Isaia MTO event in a couple of weeks. All in all, a very good days shopping.

Quarks

Reaction score
Finally found time to run the length of Collins St and Flinders lane and was very surprised to see Berulti are opening in Melbourne - who knew there was a demand. Got to Masons, great store, found the back-room (;)) to be a great little space full of treasure and scored myself an invitation to the Isaia MTO event in a couple of weeks. All in all, a very good days shopping.

I was in Berluti, Singapore last night and they told me that they were opening a boutique in Melb - I was very surprised too. They will be having at least one unique piece of RTW clothing (was told a luxurious purple suede jacket) esp for Melb boutique. They didnt know the exact location in Melb. Any pointers?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RM Williams are back from Roger (who is a lovely chap) with new half soles:

Before:
RjDKVC6.png

After:
BmAxquR.jpg

I do miss the old square-ish ends. Should probably have asked Roger to use the same shape.

Time to attempt the salvage of the uppers.
Any reason you didn't go the official RMW full refurb.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any reason you didn't go the official RMW full refurb.
Simply $50 vs $165. And the recommendation here, and very strong Google reviews. The same service is $30-40 in Singapore, so it seemed about the right amount.

Honestly, I regret it a little bit. I could have coped with a visually less than perfect new sole (these aren't dress shoes) but this does not look like it will last long:

msNBYvH.png

Also pretty sure the uppers weren't cracked or that deformed when I put the boots in. Is it fixable? Do I just roll with it and hope the pair doesn't break down?

Article 26

Reaction score
I was in Berluti, Singapore last night and they told me that they were opening a boutique in Melb - I was very surprised too. They will be having at least one unique piece of RTW clothing (was told a luxurious purple suede jacket) esp for Melb boutique. They didnt know the exact location in Melb. Any pointers?
Was it between dolce e gabbana and Ralph Lauren... think the shop it's replacing was a shoe shop (coincidentally) I just can't remember what it was called. Anyway it's on that block.

smeggett

Reaction score
Simply $50 vs $165. And the recommendation here, and very strong Google reviews. The same service is $30-40 in Singapore, so it seemed about the right amount.

My RMs are still quite a way away from a resole, however a few years back a mate showed me his pair which he had recently had resoled by RMW. He reckoned he hadn't taken much care of the boots (they were scratched, scuffed, etc when he dropped them off) and they came back like a new pair, polished up and all.

As noted, this was a few years back now but it might be worth checking into when the time comes again.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I regret it a little bit. I could have coped with a visually less than perfect new sole (these aren't dress shoes) but this does not look like it will last long:

msNBYvH.png

Also pretty sure the uppers weren't cracked or that deformed when I put the boots in. Is it fixable? Do I just roll with it and hope the pair doesn't break down?

The work I had done was first rate as I said the soles he put on lasted 18 years. I had them resoled three years ago and their still going fine. He also put in a new zip into a three quarter 1950 horse hide leahter jacket and thats still in working order.

On another note has anyone in Canberra ordered MTM through InStitchu? I went in this morning asked about a linnen suit. Patch pockets, single vent, one button(?) and quarter lined. With flat front trousers and the price I was given was $660. Didn't have time to look over the samples properly to gauge the qualtiy of the work.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The work I had done was first rate as I said the soles he put on lasted 18 years. I had them resoled three years ago and their still going fine. He also put in a new zip into a three quarter 1950 horse hide leahter jacket and thats still in working order.
You know, if the boot lasts, I'll be happy. It's not a dress boot, it's 1/3 of the RMW price, and I can cover up the colour differences with Saphir. I'm just concerned about the obvious cracks - cracked uppers, especially where the thread goes, don't strike me as having the best longevity. Time will tell (and I'll repost in 20 wears).

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the rubber soles on here? I keep wearing through the front of the sole where the toe is every six ******* months.

Wowee Zowee

Reaction score
Does anyone have the rubber soles on here? I keep wearing through the front of the sole where the toe is every six ******* months.
RMW? As in the toe tip or under your actual toe?

I destroy leather sole toe tips within months, however never noticed much wear on rubber soles shoes including RMs. My craftsman heel has worn down to the leather wedge while the whole front sole is fine.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a talk last night at the NLA at one stage they showed a photo of Flinders St Station taken from the church steps on the opposite corner in 1917. What clearly could be seen was the men's hat shop. Interesting to think it's still in the same location one hundred years later.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note has anyone in Canberra ordered MTM through InStitchu?

I haven't used them, but I know a few people who have.

I'll qualify my response by noting that this was a few years ago and that their quality may have improved in that time.

However, based on the few samples that I saw on my colleagues and friends, I would steer well clear. Quality was horrible, fit was horrible, general appearance was bad. The best of the few suits that I saw was on a chap who was slender, or "model thin", as you might say. Anyone with a bit of weight or muscle didn't look good at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads