• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had any experience with Studio Suits?

I have been wanting to buy a pair (or two) of Gurkha style trousers and these seem to be the biggest variety at a decent price. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Gurkha trouser.PNG
    Gurkha trouser.PNG
    267.5 KB · Views: 162

Funposter

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with SuitSupply's Custom Made program, specifically at the Sydney store? I've got a wedding coming up in a couple of months and I feel like it's the perfect excuse to finally move into some entry level MtM stuff, especially since I have a long torso and short arms, so most OTR stuff just doesn't fit properly at all.

Timmers

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with SuitSupply's Custom Made program, specifically at the Sydney store? I've got a wedding coming up in a couple of months and I feel like it's the perfect excuse to finally move into some entry level MtM stuff, especially since I have a long torso and short arms, so most OTR stuff just doesn't fit properly at all.
No experience with their custom made program specifically, but I've found their staff a bit ****. If you do go ahead just make sure you stand your ground on fit because they may push you to the typical SuitSupply skinny and short cut.

I've heard decent things from Oscar Hunt. Maybe consult them too

Funposter

Reaction score
No experience with their custom made program specifically, but I've found their staff a bit ****. If you do go ahead just make sure you stand your ground on fit because they may push you to the typical SuitSupply skinny and short cut.

Thanks, I'll check them out. My Facebook feed is absolutely bombarded with tailoring ads (Montagio, Institchu etc.) but I'd had a positive retail experience with SuitSupply in the past and the Custom section of their website is absolutely fantastic in terms of the available options and the ability to visualize what you want, so they were my go-to.

Timmers

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check them out. My Facebook feed is absolutely bombarded with tailoring ads (Montagio, Institchu etc.) but I'd had a positive retail experience with SuitSupply in the past and the Custom section of their website is absolutely fantastic in terms of the available options and the ability to visualize what you want, so they were my go-to.
If you've had good experiences already, by all means go ahead. I have seen some nice custom work from them. Seems good for the price.

Contango

Reaction score
I’ve used it several times in Sydney. Decent results for a suit, great results subsequently for jacket and trouser separates, bad results for a shirt.

It does, to a degree, depend on the staff member, but the trick is to do as @Timmers said and ensure they don’t go too skinny and short.

If they were still $160 for custom shirts in Thomas Mason I would be inclined to try them again, but they’re too expensive compared to Charles Nakhle now who does an amazing job for me, and his cloth selection is much nicer - some amazing Alumo choices which are so ridiculously soft. The Thomas Mason poplin I got from Suit Supply was nice and smooth but much stiffer than I’d expected, and quite sheer. Fit was not great in some respects, and the spread collar so ridiculously cut-away that I can’t really wear it.

Give SuSu or PJohnson in Chifley a go for suits and make an appointment to head out to see Charles in Castle Hill for shirts.

I’ve never tried Oscar Hunt, but read some less-than-glowing reports lately.

I haven’t ordered any suits since before Covid, but I’ll probably pick up one each from SuSu and PJohnson again this year. For any jackets or trousers I’ll just head back to SuSu.

Ignore anyone that advertises on Instagram, I’ve never heard a good report about Indo or Institchu, and the results I’ve seen have been awful. Some of the guys at work have used Woolcott St, the results didn’t look great but that’s perhaps because they chose poorly when it came to fabric colour/patterns/details for both their suits and shirts. Fit didn’t seem amazing, I had always figured they’d bought OTR at Myer until they told me otherwise. I had a bad experience - wasted my time going to choose fabric for some trousers, got my appointment cut short for the next person, they never bothered calling me as discussed to finish up. I guess it wasn’t a big enough first order for them (but it was 2021 from memory and hardly a time when I needed more suits).

eightace

Reaction score
Have you considered Luxius? The owner, Patrick, is a great guy, and I've had many shirts & trousers, as well as a jacket and a suit from him, and they've all been great. Definitely worth considering.

eightace

Reaction score
Hi gents,

Anyone visited Naples recently? Any sartorial tips you would be able to share?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Custom cashmere jacket. Pretty good overall, but make sure you know what you’re after in terms of length, waist suppression etc.
IMG_9345.jpeg

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Second this. Make sure you know what you want fit-wise!

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I interest anyone in a pair of pre-loved Carmina loafers? Gorgeous burgundy museum leather. Sineu last. Size 7.5 UK, which means they should fit anyone who’s a Size 8UK in Carmina oxfords (esp Rain and Forest last) or similar.

Selling as they’re a half size too big for me. Tried to compensate with heel grips, but that didn’t work, so there’s a bit of wear on the inner heel (see pics). Wear on the sole too as I’ve worn them a few times but nothing severe (see pics). Letting go for 300 AUD, incl shipping (I bought them for 600+).

PM if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpeg
    IMG_0237.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 517

Funposter

Reaction score
Second this. Make sure you know what you want fit-wise!
So, I went in on Sunday afternoon and had my fitting. I have to say that the staff member was really good, and immediately got on-board with me wanting a slightly more classic fit (higher rise trousers, longer jacket) and didn't try to push anything on me since I was quite open about it being my first MtM suit. Took about 45 minutes overall and was an extremely pleasant experience. We'll see how it actually turns out, but it was so nice to have someone checking the fit, advising how changes would potentially affect other things, and only making suggestions or advising me not to do something when he thought it would be to the detriment of the end product.

I think it helped that I was immediately clear on the sort of fit I was going for, and also WHY. I have a long torso (or short legs, idk) and so I need a proper rise on the trousers and the lengthened jacket for the silhouette to look correct, not have a shirt peaking through when only one button is done up etc. I also have short arms. And big, wide feet. Absolutely impossible to shop for OTR.

Timmers

Reaction score
So, I went in on Sunday afternoon and had my fitting. I have to say that the staff member was really good, and immediately got on-board with me wanting a slightly more classic fit (higher rise trousers, longer jacket) and didn't try to push anything on me since I was quite open about it being my first MtM suit. Took about 45 minutes overall and was an extremely pleasant experience. We'll see how it actually turns out, but it was so nice to have someone checking the fit, advising how changes would potentially affect other things, and only making suggestions or advising me not to do something when he thought it would be to the detriment of the end product.

I think it helped that I was immediately clear on the sort of fit I was going for, and also WHY. I have a long torso (or short legs, idk) and so I need a proper rise on the trousers and the lengthened jacket for the silhouette to look correct, not have a shirt peaking through when only one button is done up etc. I also have short arms. And big, wide feet. Absolutely impossible to shop for OTR.

Glad to hear you had a good experience. It sounds like the attendant was on the ball and it definitely helps that you went in knowing what you wanted.

I'm keen to see the end result

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads