• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RGLZ

Reaction score
Thanks! I was looking at Vekla as an option some time back, and actually bought an OCBD from them, although I belatedly realised its fit was not per the measurements on the website only after washing it.

For my money, CQP are the best quality I've encountered in the flesh. They are shanked like a dress shoe which makes them very comfortable to walk in. Speaking of money, they are not cheap, but can be had on sale.

I'm still on the fence with C&J loafers. Does anyone know if American Tailors has any? I don't have the mental fortitude to endure Double Monk. Ah, for the days when one could walk into any Herringbone store and try on a pair with no fuss whatsoever...
Yes, American Tailors have some in suede (Earth Green coming soon), calf and cordovan.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell is around $1200, suede and calf around $700 from memory.

Thanks heaps.

To my enormous surprise, American Tailors has an Instagram. On it, I saw this, a full-strap C&J loafer I've never seen before and couldn't find anywhere else online:

Does anyone have any idea what these are? It's hard to tell from the pics but the toe looks quite chiselled - a 348 last maybe?

sensuki

Reaction score
Afternoon gents, I could really do with any tips/advice on this one:

I've recently inherited a suit that belonged to my great-grandfather, it's at least 80 years old and looks to be hand made. I'd love to get it altered so I could wear it occasionally.

I've got very little experience with high end tailoring/alterations in Melbourne but have a good idea of what kind of fit I'm looking for etc.

Any recommendations of places that you'd trust to do the best possible job? Being such a family heirloom I'm pretty cautious about it!

Thanks very much in advance
M

Jose Zarpan or Mila who used to work at Magik alterations can do complex suit alterations

sensuki

Reaction score
The Finery Company Trunk show is on in Melbourne 12-14th of July, hosting Assisi Bespoke House from Korea who are mostly taking appointments for MTM (probably due to limited frequency of visits)

There's some spots left for the Assisi MTM if anyone is interested, I'm going to give it a go I think

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^apparently it's this: Crockett & JonesSS17 Details... Kingston – Crockett & Jones ROW

A strange combo of Italian-looking toe and upper with a very Ivy full strap.

On an unrelated note, does anyone wear corduroy or moleskin jeans? I'm looking for a bit of variety from denim, while still avoiding the need for ironing. Preferably with a button fly, and a reasonably slim leg.

Have moleskin from rodd and gunn from about about 15 years ago and chords from sportscraft. Very dad core but very comfy.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Melbournians: Cobbler in North Melbourne still considered the best for resoles?
Couple of pairs of JL need attention and don’t want the 6-8 month turn around sending them back to JL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads