• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Melbourne conservative business dress alterations place that they can recommend? Apparently Magic on Russell Street has closed...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last pair of Lands End pinwale four pockets red corduroy trousers have died. Been searching but so far drawn a blank. Any suggestions and looking for wash and wear.

Suit_newbie

Reaction score
I'd just use Kieran the Cobbler or Baxter and Black tbh

Baxter and Black quoted me $60 or $65, which I thought was steep. Do you know what Kieran's prices are for a topy? I see he operates through people mailing shoes to him, but I'm uncomfortable relying on Australia Post. If the option exists, I prefer to take the shoes to him.

Suit_newbie

Reaction score
No idea about that specific place, but Topy soles are pretty cheap to fit. I haven't had any done for a while but I think the last pair I had done cost $30.

$30 in Sydney? Is this recent, and if so, can you share details of the cobbler? I've asked a few places, and I haven't seen anything less than $45.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Baxter and Black quoted me $60 or $65, which I thought was steep. Do you know what Kieran's prices are for a topy? I see he operates through people mailing shoes to him, but I'm uncomfortable relying on Australia Post. If the option exists, I prefer to take the shoes to him.

Comparable pricing. Of course you can find cheaper, but it probably won’t be the vibram explosion topy, and it won’t be from somebody who specializes in welted shoes. You could probably take them to him in Bexley

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing BD collar roll on my newest Charles Nakhle commission! An oxford cloth from Alumo. It’s settled: Charles is now my go to for BD shirts. Period.
E40B1976-B2C5-4F44-9BAD-5E823F527154.jpeg

Last edited:

NikG

Reaction score
Amazing BD collar roll on my newest Charles Nakhle commission! An oxford cloth from Alumo. It’s settled: Charles is now my go to for BD shirts. Period.
View attachment 1600930
Gorgeous collar roll. You've got quite a few shirts by him now, how do you compare his workmanship to higher end OTR makers that charge around same price (think you mentioned earlier he charges around $350 a shirt). I assume it would be similar/better made and obviously a much better fit than OTR, which would make them incredible value shirts.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous collar roll. You've got quite a few shirts by him now, how do you compare his workmanship to higher end OTR makers that charge around same price (think you mentioned earlier he charges around $350 a shirt). I assume it would be similar/better made and obviously a much better fit than OTR, which would make them incredible value shirts.
The workmanship is top-notch, as you’d expect from bespoke, but if you’re looking for spalla camicia shirring ala Borelli etc, that’s not his default. The work is very clean and precise and the fit is superb. The fabric is incredible value for money, as he buys from Alumo primarily. Some Monti, but mostly Alumo, which apparently is the mainstay of brands such as Brioni et al. Finally, the best thing about Charles is that he’s very skilled - there isn’t much he hasn’t seen in the world of shirt making - as well as painfully honest, so he won’t recommend you the most expensive lines for the sake of it.

Suit_newbie

Reaction score
The workmanship is top-notch, as you’d expect from bespoke, but if you’re looking for spalla camicia shirring ala Borelli etc, that’s not his default. The work is very clean and precise and the fit is superb. The fabric is incredible value for money, as he buys from Alumo primarily. Some Monti, but mostly Alumo, which apparently is the mainstay of brands such as Brioni et al. Finally, the best thing about Charles is that he’s very skilled - there isn’t much he hasn’t seen in the world of shirt making - as well as painfully honest, so he won’t recommend you the most expensive lines for the sake of it.

Does Charles make a sample shirt first, or is it straight to the finished product? It's definitely bespoke, as opposed to made to measure, right?

I see on his website, he says a shirt starts from $250. Is the cost closer to $350 from what you say? And does the price go up depending on the material chosen, or are there certain features that would increase the price (such as mother of pearl buttons)?

How long does it take for him to make the shirt after he measures you?

ryanohare

Reaction score
Topy reco's in Melb conservative business dress now Rekaris is gone-ski?

boot_owl

Reaction score
Does Charles make a sample shirt first, or is it straight to the finished product? It's definitely bespoke, as opposed to made to measure, right?

I see on his website, he says a shirt starts from $250. Is the cost closer to $350 from what you say? And does the price go up depending on the material chosen, or are there certain features that would increase the price (such as mother of pearl buttons)?

How long does it take for him to make the shirt after he measures you?

my experience a while ago was $250 for some (quite a lot) of fabrics and $350 for others. He made my shirt within a week of measurement - possibly faster, but I could only see him on weekends

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads