• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding - which could be entirely incorrect - is that if the retailer/seller has an annual turnover that is over a particular amount, then they are supposed to collect the GST and remit it to the Australian government. So any decently-sized company should be collecting the GST on your behalf, rather than you having to pay it yourself.

I've bought some corduroy trousers from Charles Tyrwhitt in the UK, some shoes from a shop in Sweden, and some other shoes from Spain, and did not have to pay an additional amount on any of those things. In saying that, all of the items were under $1,000, although a pair of shell cordovan boots was pretty damned close to that amount!
@Journeyman what boot brand and style did you buy?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last day of summer and its a beautiful Autumn day...

Uniqlo Merino jumpers received a positive review on Permanent Style sometime ago..anyone own any and care to comment on them?

Markodevil

Reaction score
The last day of summer and its a beautiful Autumn day...

Uniqlo Merino jumpers received a positive review on Permanent Style sometime ago..anyone own any and care to comment on them?
I own two Merino V-Neck sweaters at the $50 price point, one from Uniqlo and one from Blaq. The Blaq one did not survive even a couple of wears, started fraying heavily almost immediately. My Uniqlo one I have had for almost a year at this point and it is still holding strong, it has kept its shape and has not shown any signs of severe fraying. My Uniqlo one is a bit roomier, but that is mostly because the Uniqlo sizes tend to run rather large.

eightace

Reaction score
Thinking of putting together a multi vendor trunk show in Sydney later this year with a few shoe brands and local leatherworkers. Does anybody have any thoughts on venues (and perhaps recommendations on favourite vendors too)?

Hey @boot_owl , sounds interesting. Here's a few vendors I've been a customer of in the last year or so:

Luxius
Kazuna
Marbo Shirt
Baxter & Black
Kieran the Cobbler

They're the first ones that come to mind.

Good luck with the project?

dkotek

Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been some time since I've posted but I have a few fashion maintenance related needs I'm hoping you folks might be able to help with.

I have a number of shoes in disrepair - I've emailed Kieran the cobbler about the resoles but have a couple pairs that could just use an experienced hand to polish up to their previous glory.
I also have a Barbour Beaufort that could use with a few patches and a rewax - just looking for someone who can do both without paying a small fortune to send the jacket to the UK. There's a barber shop here in Melbourne that can do the rewax but i've come up empty on the repair short of risking it at my local mom and pop tailor.

I'm local to Melbourne so if there is anyone local that would be a plus!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...but have a couple pairs that could just use an experienced hand to polish up to their previous glory.
I also have a Barbour Beaufort that could use with a few patches and a rewax

Polishing:

Not sure where you could go to get your shoes polished - I suspect most shoe polishing places will use cheap polish. Easier to do it yourself on a weekend afternoon with some music playing, or perhaps while keeping an eye on sport on the TV. I can't get the really deep, glossy mirror shine on the toes that some people get, but I can get a reasonable shine without much effort at all, so it's definitely worth giving it a go yourself.

Re-waxing your Barbour:

This is also something that you can do yourself without much trouble. Sponge down the jacket, warm up the tin of wax, get a sponge or cloth, dip in wax, wipe over jacket, let jacket dry.

There are instructions on the Barbour website:

I don't have a Barbour but I have a similar jacket that I've rewaxed without any problems. It's actually quite relaxing and meditative. I do it out on the back deck, hang the jacket over the back of one of our outdoor chairs, and put down some newspaper under the chair in case the wax drips from the sponge.

You can buy tins of wax from a few different places - it's not strictly necessary to use Barbour wax.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been some time since I've posted but I have a few fashion maintenance related needs I'm hoping you folks might be able to help with.

I have a number of shoes in disrepair - I've emailed Kieran the cobbler about the resoles but have a couple pairs that could just use an experienced hand to polish up to their previous glory.
I also have a Barbour Beaufort that could use with a few patches and a rewax - just looking for someone who can do both without paying a small fortune to send the jacket to the UK. There's a barber shop here in Melbourne that can do the rewax but i've come up empty on the repair short of risking it at my local mom and pop tailor.

The Barbour, unable to assist.
However, have used a couple of cobblers to have ‘mirror shined’ shoes, none were up to the job. Just invest the time to do a little research - plenty of online videos out there - and do it yourself, you are more likely to maintain the shine if you have invested time in doing it.
Oh, the cobblers i used were all Melbournians, and they just don’t care. Machine polish with inferior products (suspected), as removing the monsterous job they did took time.
2 of the 3 were recommendations from either here of my shoe shop.

BananaKing

Reaction score
There's that Ringo Mok guy on Welted Shoes Australia FB page, can't remember if he was Sydney or Melbourne. Teacher by trade but shoe polishing fiend by night. He's got all the gear and looks like he does a good job.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Hello all,

As @Journeyman said, you can easily rewax Barbours yourself.

Regarding patches, I don't know of anyone, however I imagine a competent tailor shouldn't have too much trouble. Just make sure they know the stitch job has to be pretty watertight, make sure they know that the wax will run if subjected to warm water so they don't panic if it happens, and don't let boiling water near it.

Rewax the jacket after the patching is done.
Any alterations or patch jobs should be rewaxed at the area of the work, to maintain waterproofing. If you're rewaxing anyway, no need to do the job twice if you leave it til last.

Source of experience: I had the alterationist at my work take in the sideseams on my Beaufort and rewaxed it myself afterwards.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Where would one get a dark green grenadine tie in this country? Or online I guess, but would prefer to see it up close first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads