• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viccel socks... yay or nay?
I rate Sozzi, bought a whole bunch for pennies in the dollar when Rhodes & Beckett collapsed the 2nd (3rd?) time.

Marcoliani also good and usually on sale somewhere on the internet.

I rate those two higher than Gammarelli/Mazarin or Pantharella, probably on par with Bresciani but cheaper.

Tabio are also excellent but I think you pay a premium via the US web store.

NikG

Reaction score
Really liking Cavour’s stuff. Mostly what I wear these days. On sale, it’s especially great value for money!
I too have become quite enamoured with their pieces, in particular their suits, which seem to be extremely good value for the quality. On sale they're unmatched for value in my opinion. DHL shipping + free returns is also nice, they're also super easy to deal with.

Current extra 15% off is also too hard to pass by. I picked up my first shirt from them to try out (not the Sartoria line unfortunately, none left in my size), a nice wide stripe with cutaway collar for $90. Also picked up the cream cashmere v-neck for $145, which seems insane value for the quality of cashmere they apparently use. And finally added a brown stripe 100Hands shirt for $170, which is a bit much but I do quite like them and they're hideously expensive elsewhere. Overall for $400 it's not bad at all and will be here within a day or so (shipped yesterday afternoon).

Have you got any experience yourself with their mainline shirts (not Sartoria) and cashmere knitwear and care to share your thoughts on them? I'm also eyeing the navy glen check Mod 1 suit that's about $400 now, but believe Mod 2 will be a better fit for me (I know you prefer Mod 1 though).

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainline shirts are good value imo. Not made in Italy. Made in Turkey, I believe. But lovely collar roll on the BDs, abc mother of pearl buttons I think. Nice shape that isn’t too tight or baggy. I have the blue BD and two striped BDs. Sartoria line is gorgeous. A lot of handwork. And darted in the back so a bit slimmer. I have one cashmere knit turtleneck and it’s very nice too.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
jeez I'm not having much luck with clothes this year. Thought I'd take a shirt to the local dry cleaners to get the sleeves taken up. Not only did they do a dodgy job on sewing it back on, they didn't do anything with the sleeve placket, so now it's ridiculously small and I can't roll up the sleeves.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jeez I'm not having much luck with clothes this year. Thought I'd take a shirt to the local dry cleaners to get the sleeves taken up. Not only did they do a dodgy job on sewing it back on, they didn't do anything with the sleeve placket, so now it's ridiculously small and I can't roll up the sleeves.
Best not to get something like shirt sleeves done at the dry cleaners lol... changes to length can’t be reversed. Unlike with suit jackets.

sensuki

Reaction score
Not sure where you live but in Melbourne, Mila at Magik Clothing Alterations is good with shirts

Nolvadex

Reaction score
Best not to get something like shirt sleeves done at the dry cleaners lol... changes to length can’t be reversed. Unlike with suit jackets.
Yea... I usually have someone in the city do my alterations but since I'm working from home, I thought I'd give the local dry cleaners a go with what I thought was something simple.

Not sure where you live but in Melbourne, Mila at Magik Clothing Alterations is good with shirts

In Brisbane unfortunately

flashjack

Reaction score
Yea... I usually have someone in the city do my alterations but since I'm working from home, I thought I'd give the local dry cleaners a go with what I thought was something simple.

In Brisbane unfortunately
I recommend Clare at the Fitting Room in the conservative business dress, they're my go to.

Nolvadex

Reaction score
I recommend Clare at the Fitting Room in the conservative business dress, they're my go to.

I'll keep that place in mind, it looks closer to my office when I actually go into the city. I usually visit the Vietnamese lady that's in the office building next Jimmys but it's a bit of a trek from Roma st, especially in summer.

OzWino

Reaction score
Has anyone bought clothing from overseas since the changes to GST and had to pay extra? How does it work?

Specifically i was looking at a suit from Propercloth at A$920 + $50 for shipping. Which is less than the $1000 duty limit, but I'm assuming that with gst it would put it over that limit, so I might incur duty as well.

If anyone has had experience with this, I'd be interested in what happens.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought clothing from overseas since the changes to GST and had to pay extra? How does it work?

My understanding - which could be entirely incorrect - is that if the retailer/seller has an annual turnover that is over a particular amount, then they are supposed to collect the GST and remit it to the Australian government. So any decently-sized company should be collecting the GST on your behalf, rather than you having to pay it yourself.

I've bought some corduroy trousers from Charles Tyrwhitt in the UK, some shoes from a shop in Sweden, and some other shoes from Spain, and did not have to pay an additional amount on any of those things. In saying that, all of the items were under $1,000, although a pair of shell cordovan boots was pretty damned close to that amount!

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a weaver who could darn a hole in a cashmere sweater?

sorry if the terminology is wrong, knitter ?

boot_owl

Reaction score
Thinking of putting together a multi vendor trunk show in Sydney later this year with a few shoe brands and local leatherworkers. Does anybody have any thoughts on venues (and perhaps recommendations on favourite vendors too)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads