• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Are Gurkha shorts the new Cargo shorts? Any recommendations on brands. I used to own some ex Oz Army Bombay Bloomers. But sadly there are no military surplus stores anymore or have gone online?

I picked up a pair from Mitchell’s adventure in Sydney city. Not sure what stock looks like now though.https://www.mitchellsadventure.com/military/clothing/pants---trousers/australian-army-gurkha-shorts-(as-new)/ectg007.aspx

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Gurkha shorts the new Cargo shorts? Any recommendations on brands. I used to own some ex Oz Army Bombay Bloomers. But sadly there are no military surplus stores anymore or have gone online?
aren’t you in Melbourne? Glenferrie Road, under the railway station (Glenferrie)?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And unlike S&M: they ship by DHL, shipping is not extortionate (in fact free over a certain limit), and return shipping is also free.
Yeah... Now that I’m doing more online shopping again, I’m noticing a distinct difference in quality of service between DHL and UPS.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

uniqlo?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uniqlo had some as part of a collaboration but they weren't proper Gurkha shorts, as the straps were just side adjusters, rather than actually fastening the waistband.

I have a pair that I bought from Brooks Brothers some years back - I'm not sure if they're still part of BB's range.

It is worth noting, though, that although Gurkha shorts are comfy, they are an absolute pain in the backside if you need to take them off quickly.

eightace

Reaction score
Anyone recognise this maker?

20201113_143427.jpg 20201113_143459_HDR (2).jpg

samtalkstyle

Reaction score

Bronson MFG. I have the long pant version and those are excellent value for money.

sensuki

Reaction score
I live in Melbourne but I have some 360g rtw woollen flannels that are unlined and they are wearable up to ~25 degrees celsius

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Goliath123

Reaction score
Hello all

Kieran the cobbler here, checking in as I had heard there was mention of my name here and I figured it was time to step up to the styleforum game. Very grateful for the kind words that have been said about me all ready. Feels quite surreal to see my work posted with good reviews. Looking forward to talking shoes with anyone interested haha

Been looking at traditional cowboy makers to learn a few things and came across securing shanks with thread, just something new and exciting you don't learn everyday you know. Looking forward to putting that into practise for the next victim of the squeaky shank!!

Anyway, looking forward to many future shoe conversations!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @Journeyman any idea if Deer Style is still operating?

Not at the moment. Rene changed jobs (as Deer has always been a side business, not his main work) and became busier, the Australian dollar has been buying less overseas than it used to, which made his products more expensive or his margins much thinner, and then business slumped early this year because of COVID-19.

As a result, he's put Deer into hibernation for the time being. He said that he may relaunch it in the future with a narrower focus on a certain style of clothing, but we will see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads