• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RGLZ

Reaction score

Bargains, few days left

eightace

Reaction score
Don't miss this.....

So my boss comes into my office the other day and says “Eight, not only are you an asset to this company now that your wages are being subsidised, but you’ve got some of the most awesome shoes I’ve ever seen.”

I advise him that I know this, and ask him if there is a new pointless task he has for me.
“Yes, there is. I’ve got an important meeting with the board next week. I simply must make an impression. Given your idiosyncrasies, you may be the only person I know who can help me.” Whereupon he drops a bag on my desk. “See what you can do with those,” he orders, and departs, this time without his habitual condescending eye-roll.

After looking up the word ‘idiosyncrasies’ in the dictionary, I decide to peer into the bag.

Big mistake.

Inside is possibly the most foul, the most disgusting, the most offensive sight I have witnessed since my shoepiphany in about 2011.

Overcoming my revulsion for a moment, I reach in and extract:

101517067_1013944159025089_5243504552669347840_o.jpg

100853581_1013947225691449_8809663405171408896_o.jpg

101246080_1013944789025026_5959707198434050048_o.jpg

101397053_1013934579026047_7432182404531355648_o.jpg

How could he let this happen? I’m so appalled I start hyperventilating. In desperation I reach for the nearest aid, as my visions fades I feel the rustle of something plastic at my fingertips, I grasp, pull it towards my face, over my nose and mouth, and I breathe deeply, in and out, over and over until the CO2 levels in my bloodstream return to normal, and my awareness returns.

And I realise two things: I realise that the filthy, derelict derbies in front of me are from Bally, not a tier-1 maker like Zeb, so their shameful condition isn’t quite the unforgiveable sin I had first thought.

And the second thing I realise is that I’m breathing from the plastic bag my boss had kept them in.

Some hours later, recovering at home (I was found lying in a corridor in a foetal position, my gag reflex activating on repeat), I sit on the couch and contemplate the task ahead of me. An old Simpsons episode is playing silently on the muted TV. If my lip-reading is correct, Lisa seems to be educating the family on the meaning of Chinese words. Homer says something in response, no doubt something infantile and ridiculous, the fat idiot. Whatever. I look back at the unloved shoes on my lap.

Instantly, I know what I must do to turn this crisis into an opportunity.

Fellow idiosyncrats, permit me to share with you the steps I have taken so far to restore dignity to these shoes. After cleaning them all over and sanding the gouges, I gave them a good going-over with Reno’mat. Next, I applied some Renovateur, then a careful edge-dressing with some Renovatrice. Here they are following those first stages:

82329190_1013937435692428_1735601056022265856_o.jpg

A nice little Reno-vation, hein?

Then came the colour. A dose of chestnut for the vamp and tongue, a bit of mid-tan for the toe-caps, facings and counters, a touch of black for antiquing. And hours of tiny index-finger circles. Here I am at the half-way point:

101030624_1013938255692346_2340570830573928448_o.jpg

Now, you’re probably starting to wonder why I’m using my first-class materials, and my first-class intellect effort and attention to detail, on shoes that are likely to be mistreated as soon as they leave my care.

In response, I will say that that’s the generous kind of guy I am, as anyone who knows me might attest. As proof of this, please be advised that I’ve dropped the price on the superb offerings I have for sale on these pages. See my signature for details.

Don’t miss this crisitunity!

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't miss this.....

So my boss comes into my office the other day and says “Eight, not only are you an asset to this company now that your wages are being subsidised, but you’ve got some of the most awesome shoes I’ve ever seen.”

I advise him that I know this, and ask him if there is a new pointless task he has for me.
“Yes, there is. I’ve got an important meeting with the board next week. I simply must make an impression. Given your idiosyncrasies, you may be the only person I know who can help me.” Whereupon he drops a bag on my desk. “See what you can do with those,” he orders, and departs, this time without his habitual condescending eye-roll.

After looking up the word ‘idiosyncrasies’ in the dictionary, I decide to peer into the bag.

Big mistake.

Inside is possibly the most foul, the most disgusting, the most offensive sight I have witnessed since my shoepiphany in about 2011.

Overcoming my revulsion for a moment, I reach in and extract:

101517067_1013944159025089_5243504552669347840_o.jpg

100853581_1013947225691449_8809663405171408896_o.jpg

101246080_1013944789025026_5959707198434050048_o.jpg

101397053_1013934579026047_7432182404531355648_o.jpg

How could he let this happen? I’m so appalled I start hyperventilating. In desperation I reach for the nearest aid, as my visions fades I feel the rustle of something plastic at my fingertips, I grasp, pull it towards my face, over my nose and mouth, and I breathe deeply, in and out, over and over until the CO2 levels in my bloodstream return to normal, and my awareness returns.

And I realise two things: I realise that the filthy, derelict derbies in front of me are from Bally, not a tier-1 maker like Zeb, so their shameful condition isn’t quite the unforgiveable sin I had first thought.

And the second thing I realise is that I’m breathing from the plastic bag my boss had kept them in.

Some hours later, recovering at home (I was found lying in a corridor in a foetal position, my gag reflex activating on repeat), I sit on the couch and contemplate the task ahead of me. An old Simpsons episode is playing silently on the muted TV. If my lip-reading is correct, Lisa seems to be educating the family on the meaning of Chinese words. Homer says something in response, no doubt something infantile and ridiculous, the fat idiot. Whatever. I look back at the unloved shoes on my lap.

Instantly, I know what I must do to turn this crisis into an opportunity.

Fellow idiosyncrats, permit me to share with you the steps I have taken so far to restore dignity to these shoes. After cleaning them all over and sanding the gouges, I gave them a good going-over with Reno’mat. Next, I applied some Renovateur, then a careful edge-dressing with some Renovatrice. Here they are following those first stages:

82329190_1013937435692428_1735601056022265856_o.jpg

A nice little Reno-vation, hein?

Then came the colour. A dose of chestnut for the vamp and tongue, a bit of mid-tan for the toe-caps, facings and counters, a touch of black for antiquing. And hours of tiny index-finger circles. Here I am at the half-way point:

101030624_1013938255692346_2340570830573928448_o.jpg

Now, you’re probably starting to wonder why I’m using my first-class materials, and my first-class intellect effort and attention to detail, on shoes that are likely to be mistreated as soon as they leave my care.

In response, I will say that that’s the generous kind of guy I am, as anyone who knows me might attest. As proof of this, please be advised that I’ve dropped the price on the superb offerings I have for sale on these pages. See my signature for details.

Don’t miss this crisitunity!
That piece of writing is a work of art that deserves recognition. Well done!

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Was this made to measure or one of the standard ones?
Standard. S&M jackets and suits come in a Contemporary (relaxed) block or a Slim (tight) one. And there is Short and Long sizing available.

NikG

Reaction score

Bargains, few days left
Damn, no Corneliani like mentioned in the bio, any idea when they’ll be available? But ended up picking up a Gran Sasso zip knit polo for $107 shipped, which is quite decent. A lot of Gran Sasso knitwear, which is good quality and for decent prices. Never purchased from you guys before, are you easy to deal with if something were to go astray ?

Last edited:

Shaunm88

Reaction score
For those interested in flush toe plates. I am from Perth and have been sending my shoes (Crockett and EG) including one pair of sentimental Guccis to Nathan at Baxter and Black in Sydney. Only person I could find and trust. He has had about 10 pairs to do and has a snuff suede EG Chelsea right now.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested in flush toe plates. I am from Perth and have been sending my shoes (Crockett and EG) including one pair of sentimental Guccis to Nathan at Baxter and Black in Sydney. Only person I could find and trust. He has had about 10 pairs to do and has a snuff suede EG Chelsea right now.
Snuff Chelsea: a bold shoe!

NikG

Reaction score
They looked good, was considering them or Kieran (ended up with Kieran). Bit more expensive than Kieran, $40 more I think. Kieran worked at Baxter before going solo so I’ll keep you posted how his work is when I get my pair back as might be able to save a bit of money with him for same quality of workmanship.

RGLZ

Reaction score
Damn, no Corneliani like mentioned in the bio, any idea when they’ll be available? But ended up picking up a Gran Sasso zip knit polo for $107 shipped, which is quite decent. A lot of Gran Sasso knitwear, which is good quality and for decent prices. Never purchased from you guys before, are you easy to deal with if something were to go astray ?

We are the wholesalers of those brands, we may put up Corneliani with the rest if SS21 samples in around 1 month. Yes, you will be dealing direct with me - I will make sure nothing goes astray! Thanks for the order.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bargains, few days left

Thanks for the alert!

sensuki

Reaction score
They looked good, was considering them or Kieran (ended up with Kieran). Bit more expensive than Kieran, $40 more I think. Kieran worked at Baxter before going solo so I’ll keep you posted how his work is when I get my pair back as might be able to save a bit of money with him for same quality of workmanship.

I have used Baxter & Black twice, and Kieran once. I've been very happy with the work on all occasions. Kieran doesn't have a full workshop and there are some things he can't do - e.g. if you wanted a blind welt finish, Baxter & Black can do that for you but Kieran can't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads