• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NikG

Reaction score
Yeah just call on the weekday and ask for nick. There’s also a special line there if you ever want custom Chelsea boots or Dinner slippers made for you for a reasonable price 400-600 dollars
Called Nick and unfortunately they don't do flush metal toe plates. Thanks for the help though.

NikG

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find someone local to do this for years, so I’d be grateful for an update when you have one. Cheers
No one in Perth does them. I ended up going with Kieran the Cobbler. Ends up about $100 total ($60 for plates and $18.50 either way for shipping). Checked out his instagram and looks like he's done some lovely work on John Lobbs, Edward Greens, etc. So pretty confident will get a good job done. I forgot to add them to my Carmina GMTOs when purchasing, but they ask $80 anyways for taps so happy to spend an extra $20 and support a young Aussie trying to get his business bigger. Will let you know how they come back looking.

NikG

Reaction score
Really? I used to have them done there
Yeah, he asked the 2 other cobblers there and they all said that they've never done lulu/triumph plates before and only do the ones that sit on top of the sole, not the ones that require sanding of the sole to ensure they're flush.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:eek: Oh well it’s Australian owned again.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Recounting my experience at precision alterations in Balmain. I have a double breasted jacket from Suit Shop with some pretty awfully fitting shoulders that I brought to Reza (the tailor there who also does in house bespoke) to have corrected - significant divots were my main concern.

3586B1FA-E784-4B13-98A8-2618904D339E.jpeg
0F169810-3CD3-494C-83A5-F3E9F548AE8A.jpeg

first visit (Friday): Reza did some pinning for his reference and assured me that he could produce a satisfactory result. He said he does at least one major shoulder alteration a month.

0F820FDC-90C5-4647-A1A3-965D87654CB1.jpeg
B522477D-CF1C-4932-BB98-382531460F4B.jpeg

second visit (Monday): sleeve has been detached And pinned back on. Looks like we’ll be taking it in under the armhole a bit too.
10C588D1-1A73-41D2-ADD6-D3052C4B641D.jpeg
C2A6C5F3-9E06-4A44-BB20-18166B28E7BF.jpeg
D3F4FF8B-714B-4764-8154-BAD3CF99E96D.jpeg

third/fourth visit (Monday): right shoulder divots totally addressed. Left wasn’t as well done at my third visit on Friday, so he agreed to fix it up a bit as you see for Monday.

Overall I am satisfied, being out $220. Perhaps there is more optimizing that could be done, but my goal has been achieved: I’ll actually wear this garment rather than leave it in my closet.

I think he has a preference for a closer fit at the waist, so I’d be prepared to stand firm if you prefer some drape at the chest or back.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here tried Spier and Mackay? Similar to SuitSupply. Mob in Canada; might be using the same factory as Susu. Some nice kit in their online catalog.

Bought two sport jackets... just got the second one. Soft tailoring. Drago fabric. Similar to the Susu Havana cut, but there’s a slim block and a contemporary block. Havana cut is closer to the contemporary block.

Heavy discounts during sale season and it looks like they have an online custom made option too but with the added benefit of being able to key in measurements, unlike SuitSupply.

theowbert

Reaction score
Anyone here tried Spier and Mackay? Similar to SuitSupply. Mob in Canada; might be using the same factory as Susu. Some nice kit in their online catalog.

Bought two sport jackets... just got the second one. Soft tailoring. Drago fabric. Similar to the Susu Havana cut, but there’s a slim block and a contemporary block. Havana cut is closer to the contemporary block.

Heavy discounts during sale season and it looks like they have an online custom made option too but with the added benefit of being able to key in measurements, unlike SuitSupply.

I have, got 3 suits from them so far, quite happy with them as they're one the very few brands that offers short length jackets. The other thing I quite like is the non-functioning buttons. I don't really care about functioning buttons these days, so I save quite a bit with alterations and don't have to worry about a tailor messing with the shoulders.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have, got 3 suits from them so far, quite happy with them as they're one the very few brands that offers short length jackets. The other thing I quite like is the non-functioning buttons. I don't really care about functioning buttons these days, so I save quite a bit with alterations and don't have to worry about a tailor messing with the shoulders.

Agreed on all fronts. Short sizes and non functional buttons. Exactly why I like them too. Got the brown linen suit in Minnis fabric and cream cords enroute as we speak ?

Highly recommend to those who like SuitSupply but want an alternative in their back pocket.

theowbert

Reaction score
Agreed on all fronts. Short sizes and non functional buttons. Exactly why I like them too. Got the brown linen suit in Minnis fabric and cream cords enroute as we speak ?

Highly recommend to those who like SuitSupply but want an alternative in their back pocket.

If you're talking about the tobacco coloured linen Minnis suit, then I've got the same one. ?

I think it's great value for money, Suit Supply just doesn't work for me, they're just overall too snug. But Spier its pretty bang on for me. I wished they used some of the other mills though.

Oh, and the fact that some of their suits aren't fully lined is great for the Aussie summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads