• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NikG

Reaction score
Does anyone know a cobbler in Perth that can install flush metal toe plates?? All the ones I've asked have said they don't do it and don't know of any that do.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, you will have to send your shoes to Sydney or Melbourne to get flush metal toe taps installed.

I know that some people have different opinions but, ultimately, it seems to me that the main advantage of the flush toe taps is aesthetic. I really don't see that they perform better than the crescent toe taps made from metal or nylon - they just look nicer and more "finished".

NikG

Reaction score
Thanks mate. That's a shame, would really prefer flush, just looks nicer like you said.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a cobbler in Perth that can install flush metal toe plates?? All the ones I've asked have said they don't do it and don't know of any that do.
Have you tried Bodkins Bootery in Fremantle or dannys in Claremont?

sensuki

Reaction score

In the absence of a local one, I would recommend Kieran the Cobbler's mail in service for bang for buck.

I paid $45 at Manfred's Shoe Lounge in Melbourne last year for taps, but they used quite long screws which punctured the welt.

sensuki

Reaction score
As a follow up to that post, the welt is fine (and welt strips can be replaced), and Kieran recently resoled those boots and kept the original welt, it just has a couple of small puncture holes from the screws that Manfred's used.

They (Manfred's) have at least one photo of a Triumph plate install where they are using small screws, but I got Lulu plates (and maybe they use longer screws for Lulu) and my toes were already worn down. It may be less of an issue on new shoes.

boot_owl

Reaction score
As a follow up to that post, the welt is fine (and welt strips can be replaced), and Kieran recently resoled those boots and kept the original welt, it just has a couple of small puncture holes from the screws that Manfred's used.

They (Manfred's) have at least one photo of a Triumph plate install where they are using small screws, but I got Lulu plates (and maybe they use longer screws for Lulu) and my toes were already worn down. It may be less of an issue on new shoes.

Choosing the right screw length is important for taps for exactly that reason. It can also create a spot for water to permeate into the shoe. I know Kieran uses the right length because I tried 4 different sizes to find the right one when I was doing them myself, and he uses the one I landed on.

NikG

Reaction score
In the absence of a local one, I would recommend Kieran the Cobbler's mail in service for bang for buck.

I paid $45 at Manfred's Shoe Lounge in Melbourne last year for taps, but they used quite long screws which punctured the welt.
Will check our Kieran as well. Thanks.

NikG

Reaction score
Call them on the weekday. Ask for a guy named nick. Tell him curran sent you
Sweet, will do. Appreciate the help. So hard to find toe plates in Perth. All the cobblers look at me like I’m an idiot and say they’ve never seen them here or heard anyone ask before.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet, will do. Appreciate the help. So hard to find toe plates in Perth. All the cobblers look at me like I’m an idiot and say they’ve never seen them here or heard anyone ask before.
Yeah just call on the weekday and ask for nick. There’s also a special line there if you ever want custom Chelsea boots or Dinner slippers made for you for a reasonable price 400-600 dollars

KeepOffTheGrass

Reaction score

I’ve been trying to find someone local to do this for years, so I’d be grateful for an update when you have one. Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads